XG Junior review by Alden

Alden: XG Junior

Purchased from: eBay

The P90 on this guitar is designed by Alan Entwhistle and is of very high quality. there's no buzz when using both my Marshall MG100HDFX stack or my smaller Fender Frontman 15G so this is a high quality pickup, not the usual rubbish you get from China. The sound is typical P90, bright and beefy at a the same time. Open chords sound 'Fenderish' whislt a beefy humbucker like sound is there throughout solo's. I own a Gibson SG and several Epiphones and sound wise this is in the same league as the higher end Epiphones (I have a Les Paul Ultra) and buzz wise is on par with he Gibson (although pickup wise not quite as good) Overall very good, you wouldn't want to change the pickup. The electronics also seem to be top notch, as I mentioned there's no or very little buzz when idling.

I mainly play punk/rock (Blink 182, Sum 41, Green Day style) and this guitar seems to suit this perfectly. I very rarely play with little or no distortion. I have been playing for just over 5 years and as well as this guitar I own a Gibson SG, Epiphone Les paul (Standard, Ultra and studio) and a Telecaster (Jap) as well as several amps and peds. I purchased this guitar for 80 on ebay as it was a clearance item and I was after a practice SG style guitar however this guitar has all but replaced my Gibson for Live performances, it may not sound quite as good but it just feels better to me and if it were lost/stolen or damaged I would buy another immidiately. Alden seem to be a company with a bright future and this guitar is a great example of that. Being designed and overseen by a british designer seems to have eliminated the poor manufacturing process which can exist in China and Korea and I have no hesitation in saying that this guitar is of the same quality of a US/UK build axe. If you're looking for something that almost sounds as good as the best guitars out there and is build/feels AS GOOD as the top guitars for a rediculous price then go for one of these.

I've had this guitar for a month and I've gigged twice with it so far. When you hold it you just know it's a high quality, tough instrument and I've had no hesitation in using it Live. It's not as light as the Gibson SG (which I think is too light! ) but heavier than the Epiphone version which is just right. It stays in tune very well and I've yet to change the strings it came with! I have no doubts what-so-ever that this guitar will last a long time, the electics are solid and the construction is equily solid.

The action on this guitar was insanely good. It was ready to play right out the box and they obviously recieve or full propper setup before there shipped out. there's no fret buzz what so ever. It's easily the best factory setup I've ever seen. Intonation was also stop on. The finish is high gloss and it looks a lot more expensive that it actually cost! The scratch plate was cut a little rough in one place but other than that was ok. The tone an volume controls feel solid and smooth, there's no rubbing or grinding on the body. The neck is a nice thickness, it seems just right however the frets and width of the neck seem quite small which took some getting used to. After getting used to it however the neck is nice a fast and is nice to play. The headstock has a pearl inlay and plain truss rod cover. Finally the tuners are grover style and are rigid and well finished.

Made in 2008 in China by Alden who are the result of a collaboration between UK guitar guru Alan Entwhistle and one of Korea's leading guitar companies. This guitar has a solid mahogany body, rosewood fret board with Dot markers, grover style tuners and a single Entwhistle designed P90 pickup. Accessories include the usual sound cable and a set of keys for truss rod and bridge adjustments.

neqinox
    I have one of these and they are good guitars. The one thing I would say is that the finish is a little thin in places especially on the side of the neck but overall its fantastic value for money.