XG Junior review by Alden

Alden: XG Junior

Purchased from: ebay

I play everything from Muse to FOB and this guitar suits most styles. The pickup produces a nice sharp sound however I consider to be stronger as a rythmic guitar as I'm not a huge fan of it for solo's. As the other reviewer mentioned there's very little buzz from the P90 which is nice and additionally the shielding seems to be perfect as there's no buzzing whislt not touching the strings which is unusual. Overall I'd say it's a great rythmic guitar or lead if you don't do much solo work.

I think this is a great guitar for most styles and at the prices these are going for I would recommend them to anyone looking for a high quality solid backup or anyone who's out to buy an SG style guitar as they really are very good. I would also suggest to anyone who's just starting out and thinking of buying a squire, Epiphone special, etc etc etc, have a look at one of these if possible. My only niggle about this guitar is the finish on the side of neck but that is pretty much the only fault I can find. The pickup is very good although not exceptional and the neck and feel of the guitar make it perfect for live performances. It doesn't look half bad either!

Reliability is one of this guitars plus points. Dispite its slight flaws with the finish of the guitar it is actually very well constructed and I've used it Live a few times without any issues. It's not very heavy so thers no problems with the strap buttons and the tone and volume controls are solid and don't move. I'm convinced that the finish will ware off in some places with a few years however the body has a decent finish and I've yet to mark it. Great guitar for playing live.

Action wise the guitar was pretty much perfect when I recieved it. The intonation needed some slight adjustment and the low E string buzzed a bit but a small saddle adjustment sorted that out. The action is low and the neck feels really quick. As I mentioned in an earlier comment the finish was a little thin in places. Mainly on the side of the neck where it could have done with another coat however it does seem like the type of guitar that will age well and for the price I paid I didn't expect a perfect finish. The saddle, tuners, pickup and stratch plate were all finished to a high quality.

Not entirely sure of the year but it was purchased in March 08 from an ebay store, manufactured in China. Named the junior, in the same way as a classic Gibson model it features a single passive P90 pup. and a fast narrow neck. Alden make a big deal of the fact that all their pup's are designed and manufactured by them.

fatfireman.2916
    I looked on internet and saw the Alden XG Custom in a Sunrised Finish with Maple top it looks beatiful in the advert and from what the above reports on Alden guitars are I can't wait for it to be delivered. When its arrived I'll post my views on it after using the guitar