Telstar Review

2,846
review (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
Telstar Reviewed by: windy.uk, on april 27, 2010

Purchased from: chase driect

Features: The Telstar is your cheap tele copy with a twist. Made in 2008 in China, with a 21 fret maple bolt on neck and a rosewood fretboard. It features a semi hollow design with a mahogany body and tiger maple veneer. The bridge is shaped like the Standard Telecaster design although the saddles are more barrel like in shape, asethetically its more pleasing but it doesn't affect the tone. The pickups are two stock single coil Standard tele style pickups with a 3 way selector Switch and a volume and tone potentiometer. // 4

Sound: I've been playing for 5years now and mainly I have rock guitars (Ibanez RG370DXGP1 and a Jackson rr3) but I fancied something more bluesy. My mates then bought my this for my birthday just slightly over a year ago and it fitted perfectly. I play it through a Roland Cube 30 and through a Peavy Transtube Bandit 112. Personally I like the tones I get out of this guitar. The bridge is bright as expected from a single coil with a sharp sound whilst the neck is a more smooth yet lugubrius sounding, they both give of an incredible amount of hum. Through a low gain setting and a bit of presence the bridge gets a nice John Mayer sound which cranking up the gain gives a more Joe Bonamassa tone. The bridge and neck pickup together give a nice feel which I use for the Eric Johnson pieces. With gain on full this guitar can manage metal with easy pinched harmonics and sweeps for Mendeed and Anterior stuff. I find the neck pickup abit too week and limp wristed and only good for clean settings. The pickups are getting replaced with a bare knuckle Brown Sugar set when they arrive. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got this guitar it wasn't set up atall, more the fault of the shop than the company. After a few minutes work the action was fine though to jam on though.The guitar is not aesthetically perfect in anyway. The tiger maple isn't book matched and the slot where the neck is bolted onto the body isn't parallel which feels strange when playing higher frets. The selector Switch tip had to be taken off to use the bridge or the neck position and there are slight blemishes in the paintwork. On a high note though the neck feels amazing and is a joy to play. // 3

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has withstood live playing though never without a backup but thats just common sense. The guitar is cheap and does come with the cheap hardware, the output jacket is already loosening and the strap buttons are little things but they're all getting up graded. The finish won't last as long as my other guitars have but it will give it a nice vintige effect. // 3

Overall Impression: I play every style of music from classical to metal. The telstar can handle most of the styles though it's most suited to blues. If anyone stole my other guitars I would analally rape them but if this guitar went missing I wouldn't really be that way inclined, I'd miss its presence but not enough to replace it. I love the cheap chearful mass produced feel of this guitar, it doesn't compare to my others but thats part of its appeal. If a learner is looking for a cheap starting Telecaster I would recommend this over a squire but other than that no. // 4

Comments