Excel Standard review by Aria

Aria: Excel Standard

Price paid: € 80

Purchased from: Local Guitar Shop

I play a whole range of music from heavy blues through to heavy metal (e.g. Dream Theater, Metallica, Megadeath, Iron Maiden) and this guitar is excellent. I mainly use the bridge pickup (with coil split for some bluesy stuff) although when I'm playing chordy stuff I will use the neck humbucker. Although not necessarily the top of the range pickups they are good although maybe some Seymour Duncan's or EMG's would be nice. I play through a Peavey vypyr 30 and the sound is not the brightest, although I quite enjoy that, its not one for someone is is trying to playing squeaky clean la-la-la-la music.

This guitar is very good and with the discounts I got was a steal. If it were stolen I would get straight out to buy another one. The coil split is very good, it cleans up the sound a lot and is excellent for lead. However the guitar is not particularly big, and being over 6 foot myself that isn't the best of things.

This guitar would be excellent live, although as it has a Floyd Rose I would not do a large gig without a backup. Strap buttons look sturdy, although they are not huge. The rest of the hardware will hold up excellently and I could see that guitar lasting well into the future, with a superb thick finish.

No flaws at all pickups were at the right height, no scratches dents or anything. Major companies could learn a thing or two from my guitar shop (they set up all of the guitars they sell). A nice low action but without the fret buzz, lovely to play.

I believe this is a Korean made guitar and it has a solid build. With 22 frets it has all of the ones I need and they are larger than my old Ibanez GIO frets but I wouldn't call them jumbo. It has a Liscensed Floyd Rose and locking nuts that keep the guitar in tune excellently. To the side of the bridge there is 1 volume knob, 1 tone knob, a 5 way pickup selector and an awesome coil split. The finish is a metallic red that looks amazing. The stock pickups are humbuckers in neck and bridge with a single coil in the middle.

Sakke
    kirky boy
    gizmoss wrote: 3 and a half week??? And you write a review? (In my opinion its not a reason to be proud of) Second thing if some shop sell it for 80 pounds its mean its worth that much.
    How many times do I have to repeat this, 1 it was on sale and 2 I got a trade in
    msensorium
    Geez. I hope all of you expert commenters on this review actually do reviews yourselves sometimes. BTW, I like Aria's and have had many older (Motsomoku to Korea) as well as somewhat newer Korean inexpensive PE models. These inexpensive PE's are as good or better than the Ibanez Artists and play better (not sound, just play) and have better design (i.e., neck joint and upper fret access) than the cheaper USA Gibson LP's. If it plays well, get some good used SD's or even GFS pickups and flail away on it. It's more about the sound created by the player, as my friend who plays old import Peavey's (he likes playing something different and that he mod'd) and he usually steals the show from his band mates and anyone he plays with... all of them are playing high end Fenders and Gibsons and PRS's...
    ko70
    I have this guitar and yes it's awsome to a learner i bought it to a frind in 2nd hand and yes i would do it again ! This guitar has a nice body,the pickups i can't really talk bad about them because they are nice to all the music that i play...And for the pice want do you want more ? I think that this guitar is superior to all that squier's for learner's and all of low cost... It's a great guitar for a great price !
    rv_phoenix
    All the talk about the tremolo misses the point. Floyd Rose has produced several generations of his patented tremolo since the inception. A 229 pounds RRP guitar might have a licensed FR tremolo: the first generation of it, that one, big as an onion and extremely difficult to set up by a non-pro. As for tuning, Kirky boy confessed to be "a tuning perfectionist", because of tuning the guitar every 4 days... Kirky boy, you should tune it EVERY TIME YOU PLAY! Tuning doesn't mean only to strumm it and check on a cheap digital tuner if it shows E-A-D-G-B-e. Cheap guitars, unless they are cleverly made and carefully checked (there are some makes who do so), have all kind of tuning problems, especially above the 12th fret, in the higher strings mostly. Anyway, 3 and a half weeks isn't enough for a review, unless you are a pro or someone really experienced (and I say it backed by my 30 years of playing). You need to understand the wood, how it sounds on various types of music, guitar's construction (for instance, how many pieces of wood were used to form the body), pickups REAL output, noises and hum etc. etc. Otherwise, your review is just a picture of your enthousiasm or... misery.
    ChaosG30
    Ive got an aria XL and IT is absolutely amazing. For me it was 180 (that was a discount as well). IVE HAD IT A YEAR NOW AND IT HAS BEEN AWESOME
    michael1963
    Mmmmmm I'm happy with mine, bought it off a friend who needed cash for R700.00 that equates to about 63 pounds. Is it any good? Sound is full and chunky, using a Fender Twin. Action is good, could be better. My first electric was an Aria pro2 back in 1980, so maybe i'm a sentimentalist, but Aria are far better than all you name brand addicts think. Oh, one other thing I really don't care what a guitar looks like, it has to sound good and feel good but bonus this guitar does look good.
    nickcallear
    I dont know.I always tuned hence me saying about slipping string at the lock nut.Dont get me wrong i did like the guitar, but it could have been built better but then i suppose as the saying gose "you get what you pay for".
    kirky boy
    nickcallear wrote: nickcallear wrote: I had one of these guitars at the beginning of the year.Didnt last all that long.The FR is the worst iv ever play all the lock screws snapped,the locking nut wouldnt lock and strings kept slipping and the headstock only had a ligth knock to what it seemed to me anyway and snapped. I WOULD RECOMMEND TO PEOPLE AVOID AT ALL COST.SAVE YOUR MONEY FOR SOMETHING THAT WILL LAST.sorry for the spelling errors
    You must have had the worlds worst set up then. I have to tune it about 1 every 4 days and even then that a minor change and because I am a tuning perfectionist. Your problems sound like they come from the shops set up not the guitar
    nickcallear
    sorry for the spelling errors
    lukas1324
    lol. the guy likes his guitar. cant everyone be happy for it? everyone who comments is trying to find abd things about a guitar. mabey the guy got a good deal. it happens. ive played one of these guitars before, it was really really nice.
    Vedicardi
    You've never seen a deal before huh
    Fender Dane.
    gizmoss
    kirky boy
    L2112Lif wrote: I doubt it has a licensed floyd, even those run expensive. Its probably a proprietary bridge to cut costs. I can't see this garnering a real 8 rating. Either you found a real jem of a budget guitar, or a real piece-of-shit.
    1. It has the words Liscensed under Floyd Rose Patents on it. 2. It is 80 with trade in and sale.
    kirky boy
    Sakke wrote: Oh seriously, why can't you make a real review on this guitar. How long have you had it..? It seems to be really not that good guitar, except for that it is cheap..
    I've had it for about 3.5 weeks, more time then many people who make reviews have had theirs for
    kirky boy
    grimms wrote: Aria are not good, even if they were 400. You've not taken into account the wood, pickup sounds or the feel of the neck, just what it looks like.
    If I didn't like the way it feels and sounds then I wouldn't have bought it. I'm not an idiot
    kirky boy
    Fender Dane. wrote: So many things wrong with that review and I am not even taking into account that guitar doesn't deserv the score. If a 80 guitar isn't a piece of plywood, I would be pretty surprised. I couldn't even find the guitar on the Aria website.
    Its an old model, but was still new from the factory, It had been in the shop for at least a year but when i played it I thought it was a great piece
    kirky boy
    that price is with trade in and 100 off for a sale. The original price is meant to be in , i have no idea why it is in
    1 I meant 80, 2 that is with trade in and 100 off. The RRP was 229
    edward2700
    This model was sold in the mid-90's and retailed at $299. There was also a deluxe for $399 and a pro model at $1299. The body was alder, neck maple, rosewood fingerboard. Aria makes a great guitar for the money. Don't knock it till you've tried it!
    grimms
    Bxesparty
    guitar that price? with a floyd rose? I never played it but i'm sure the pickups on this guitar are weak strat sounding i dunno.
    L2112Lif
    EpiExplorer
    Please, dont waste good pickups in this poor excuse for a guitar. I did it in my Epi cuz it actually sounded better, but in something like this.. just no. Especially not for 60.
    14000watts
    These guitars are great and the price is right. The necks are fast and low. I've been playing them for 25 years. When are people going to realize that the wood of the body has zero to do with tone? It has an affect on sustain, but not tone (I'm speaking of a plugged in electric not an acoustic). You could pull the pups out and mount them in a cinder block and it would sound identical through your amp. These guitars have great necks, add some EMG's and you will blaze on it!