Excel Standard Review

manufacturer: Aria date: 09/06/2010 category: Electric Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Aria: Excel Standard
I play a whole range of music from heavy blues through to heavy metal and this guitar is excellent.
 7.2
 8.8
 5.6
 6,057
review (1) pictures (1) 28 comments vote for this gear:
Excel Standard Reviewed by: kirky boy, on september 06, 2010

Price paid: € 80

Purchased from: Local Guitar Shop

Features: I believe this is a Korean made guitar and it has a solid build. With 22 frets it has all of the ones I need and they are larger than my old Ibanez GIO frets but I wouldn't call them jumbo. It has a Liscensed Floyd Rose and locking nuts that keep the guitar in tune excellently. To the side of the bridge there is 1 volume knob, 1 tone knob, a 5 way pickup selector and an awesome coil split. The finish is a metallic red that looks amazing. The stock pickups are humbuckers in neck and bridge with a single coil in the middle. // 9

Sound: I play a whole range of music from heavy blues through to heavy metal (e.g. Dream Theater, Metallica, Megadeath, Iron Maiden) and this guitar is excellent. I mainly use the bridge pickup (with coil split for some bluesy stuff) although when I'm playing chordy stuff I will use the neck humbucker. Although not necessarily the top of the range pickups they are good although maybe some Seymour Duncan's or EMG's would be nice. I play through a Peavey vypyr 30 and the sound is not the brightest, although I quite enjoy that, its not one for someone is is trying to playing squeaky clean la-la-la-la music. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: No flaws at all pickups were at the right height, no scratches dents or anything. Major companies could learn a thing or two from my guitar shop (they set up all of the guitars they sell). A nice low action but without the fret buzz, lovely to play. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would be excellent live, although as it has a Floyd Rose I would not do a large gig without a backup. Strap buttons look sturdy, although they are not huge. The rest of the hardware will hold up excellently and I could see that guitar lasting well into the future, with a superb thick finish. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is very good and with the discounts I got was a steal. If it were stolen I would get straight out to buy another one. The coil split is very good, it cleans up the sound a lot and is excellent for lead. However the guitar is not particularly big, and being over 6 foot myself that isn't the best of things. // 8

Comments