MAC-40 Review

manufacturer: Aria date: 08/20/2010 category: Electric Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Aria: MAC-40
review (1) pictures (1) 9 comments vote for this gear:
MAC-40 Reviewed by: toomanyguitarss, on august 20, 2010

Price paid: € 250

Purchased from: Band Aid Music

Features: For my first review, I'm doing my Aria MAC-40. Bear in mind please that I've had this guitar for 5 years now, and I've been playing for ten. I have no idea when this guitar was made, but I purchased it 5 years ago at a discount, due to a small paint defect near the neck. Not sure where it was made, but I think its China. The maple neck is bolt-on with 24 frets. The body is carved top alder, with a metallic-blue finish that changes to purple in the light. Its got this Ibanez-type body shape, but I prefer this to any Ibanez (believe me, I've tried). The tuners work perfectly. I have never had a single problem with it. // 10

Sound: I play everything from freeform jazz to metal, but I prefer using this particular guitar for more instrumental Paul Gilbert, Satch, Vai, etc. stuff. I run this through(in order) tuner, MXR 6 Band EQ, Bad Horsie Wah, EHX Doctor Q, Dunlop Uni-Vibe, EHX The Worm, Danelectro Milkshake chorus, MXR Super Comp, MXR Blue Box. In the effects loop - Volume pedal, Boss DD-7. All this goes into a Randall RG75 with reverb. It sounds awesome. It really does. It has a coil tap, H-S-H pickup configuration and a licensed floyd rose. There isn't any noise at all, not even with the Randall's distortion on full. The neck pickup has a really warm sound (think Tender Surrender), the single coil a lovely twang (think Johnny B Goode), and the bridge pickup an awesome crunch ( think The Extremist). With the coil tap engaged, everything changes into this Paul Gilbert-style sound. It makes me happy :) I gave it 9 because I replaced the coil tap switch...cause I'm a Savage and an idiot and I snapped it at a gig. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up a tad high, but this was because of the gauge 10s. I changed them to 9s and lowered it easily. Everything is neat and tidy. As I mentioned before, I got it cheaper because of a tiny paint defect. The pickups were set up a bit low too. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have used this guitar live thousands of times, and it has never failed me. Not even when I broke the Switch :) The floyd is very good, better than any Edge Pro. I know this simply because the other guitarist in the band has an Ibanez with an Edge Pro, and it goes out of tune even with a perfect setup. The Hardware will last, no doubt about it, as will everything else. I always go to gigs with 3 guitars because of the variety of styles I'm required to play, but I would gig without a backup. // 9

Overall Impression: I'm actually looking for a candy red version of this guitar so that i have the playability and different looks, but the same guitar. I would kill anyone who touches this guitar. The only thing I wish I had is... a Sustainer :) But thats just me on my weird-sound-quest thing :) // 10

Comments