MAC-45 review by Aria

Aria: MAC-45

Purchased from: Sticks + Strings

Ok, for starters I play everything... blues, Acoustic to thrash. And I needed a guitar that could handel all. The pickups arnt great, just ordinary stock pickups. They can handel high-gain, but not as well as EMG's. But this also means it can do really good cleans. I use all pickup con-figs, a total of 9 becaues of the CT. It has so much variaty its almost unbelivable. it can do strat, LP, anything. It has balls to, just like a LP. At the moment, I'm running through a Line6 Spider IV, but also a Marshall MG10. They both sound AWESOME with this guitar. Alot of people dout the MG10, but its amazing! I can get Hendrix, Metallica, Clapton ANYTHING out of this guitar and my MG! This guitar also has SOOO MUCH SUSTAIN! Strum and E powerchord and just listen to it resonate! I timed it, 30+ seconds! Now that is a long time. I gave it 7 because it has variaty, but it can't do somthing extrodinarly well, like a start, or a full on metal axe.

Overall, this is a nice guitar! If your looking for a good, not to expensive 2nd guitar, then this is a good choice. If you play a lot of diffrent styles, then its about as good as you can get in this price range. If your looking to be more METAL though, I would recomend the LTD MH250 (trem or no trem) as it has EMG HZ's, thru neck and a floyd I gave it an 8 overall because its just a good guitar, sure there are better but this is 300, what more do you want! If you wana be picky just same up 3x as much and buy a guitar not 3x better. the onlything I don't like is the fret acses. Not the greatest for shred but you can still get up there. Its a bolt-on.. What can you do. NEM

I imediatly put strap-locks on it. This guitar is built like a tank, I've dropped it many times and though the finish has lots of bumps and scrapes, it just looks kick-ass. This guitar would break the floor, not itself! I would and I have giged with a backup, only because of the Floyd Rose though, not the electronics or anything.

I don't know how well the factory did it, because it was set up for me before I got it. That said, it still wasn't set up well, the action was waay to low. I ajusted the pickups to my hight, got it properly set up. But now visable flaws or anything. Fortunatly, the floyd stays in tune nicely, I dive-bombed it in the shop many times to try and get it out of tune, but it didn't! 6 because I had to pay to set it up properly.

Year - don't know, but it was brand new from ordering Frets - 24 See-thru black finish Body - Alder? I think Neck - Maple with rosewood fingerboard Superstrat shape Bolt on neck Lisensed Floyd Rose Passive pickups 1 vol, 1 tone 5 way switch Coil tap switch 2 'buckers, 1 coil no-name tuners Locking nut (with floyd) no accessories Pretty average really, what would you expect from a 300 axe. One thing I must say, this guitar is like a Les Paul, Strat and Ibanez all in one. It dosnt look like it, but it weighs a TON.

Shin Shadow
    I have that model since 2009 and his sound offer me a great versatility, I change the pickups of the bridge for di marzio and increase the clear sound to 90% and the jack, really loved the sound, sustain, and floyd rose of that guitar
    Aeolian Harmony
    I didn't intend to say that only tube amps are good. A good amp is a good amp, but you've got to admit that a MG10/Vox Pathfinder/Fender Frontman (and the like) aren't on the same quality level as a MAC-45. Most of a guitar's tone is in the amp, and no matter how good the instrument is, a starter amp will hamper the sound. Still, a good review. Interesting and worth the time reading/commenting. I'm nitpicking about the amp, and no review can be entirely objective anyway (that'd be boring as h*ll).
    L2112Lif
    Time the sustain of single notes, not powerchords. Playing more than one string might inadvertently help the others sustain sympathetically.
    Shoji001
    JungIe wrote: theido wrote: This guitar also has SOOO MUCH SUSTAIN! Strum and E powerchord and just listen to it resonate! I timed it, 30+ seconds! Now that is a long time. are you evaluating your guitar's response plugged into an amp? Maybe he's counting the buzz of the amp too.
    no, it was from just the guitar, clean channel
    JungIe
    Maybe he's counting the buzz of the amp too.
    jannick
    anyone knows where i can get a freakin' aria pro-II cs-250???? i really want it!
    theido
    are you evaluating your guitar's response plugged into an amp?
    Loudspeaker003
    Petar wrote: Shoji001 wrote: Ok for one, if your going to comment, comment on the thing being review, not the other grear that I use secondly, as i have commented on the MG10 review, if you think its crap, then you are crap. i can get a amazing sound out of my MG, becuase i use it properly! No offense, but MG can't get an "awesome sound". Yea, it sounds good, but it lacks the depth and tonal quality of other, much much more expensive amps (mostly tube amps). I know, I have MG15 myself. MG is a solid-state amp, there's basically no way SS amps can be used improperly.
    Ladies, ladies, your both pretty! But aint this a review of the guitar and not the reviewers amps?
    Shoji001
    i play through the MG/Spider at home, at bnd practise i put it through a Marshall half stack (not sure what one, but its somthing 2000) and its a good sound. and i know the MG is no tube amp, but for how much it is, its a pretty good sound. no blackstar, but a decent sound
    Aeolian Harmony
    Regardless of the other gear (yes, MG10s are wonky bedroom amps) the guitar seems quite alright. I've tried out a MAC-40 at a shop once, and it wasn't bad for $200. Then again, I played it through something more upscale than a MG10. You said it weighs a ton; do you have a specific weight? Was just curious - heavy to one person might be just fine for another.
    ProgFolk12
    Have to agree with TAO. I stopped reading when you mentioned your amps. Sorry. To anyone defending the MG, while it may get bashed around here too much by bandwagoners, and while the new series is better, really there is no way you can review a guitar and say it sounds awesome through that amp, no matter how you "Use it". I'm not gonna MG bash, it's not a tube snobbery thing, it just sounds crap, and furthermore, even if you liek the tone, you cannot justifiably review a guitar through a 50 amp. End of.
    Petar
    L2112Lif
    I picked up an amplifier from the Old MG series because of a review here. They're crap in comparison to the new line of MG's, but the MG line is still crap in comparison to the Vox VT series... TAO, I do the same as you do now.
    TheAbsentOne
    When I want advice about a piece of equipment, yeah. I've just stopped coming here. I still read these though, more just an entertainment value. "Hey, new guitar review. Never heard of it." thus, I read it. Anyways. UG is so great, I don't understand why they let mediocre reviews get published. They can do so much better.
    good_blink_plan
    TheAbsentOne wrote: Spider and an MG.. both sound awesome? Are you tone-deaf?
    I saw you on a review just yesterday saying you didn't come here for reviews anymore.... Seems like you do...
    L2112Lif
    + Alder is a really light wood. If its heavy, it might be out of mahogany or, more likely, maple.