STG-003 review by Aria

Aria: STG-003

Purchased from: KGB's in Birkenhead

I play a lot of rock and metal, but find that it dosent always produce the rich, full, powerful sounds I want. I play it through the 3rd pickup, (treble) because it gives a nice, bright sound, the first and second pickups semm to be a little dull. It makes a lot of veriety of sounds and is very easy to play. Likes - the price, great looks and stylings, dislikes - quite dull pickups, not so powerful or rich sounding.

I have only been seriously playing about 7 or 8 months (february 2002) and have improved dramatically since gettin this guitar (end of june 2002) and now am a competent player (so ive been told). I only own a Yamaha dreadnaught other than this. i play this through a "Hohner panther mega 10" amp which is a great amp, its 20 watts but is called the mega 10 for sum reason. It was supposed to cost 89 but I got the whole package with gig bag, lead, tuner, amp, guitar(139), plenty of plecs an stuff all for 183. Since this is a beginners guitar you do get a lot for the money and is far better than the basic Squier Strat in that the action is lower, the frets are bigger, its has a nicer sound, nicer finish on the hardware, the paint job, and basically looks like it will last forever while the squiers dont look like they will last five minutes. if this was stolen or lost I would probably find myself bying a Vintage les paul either the bolt neck for 169 or the set neck for 199. But this is a hella lotta guitar 4 the money, well worth it. I only compare this baby to the basic 140 (or complete-200) squiers, staggs, etc any thing within the same price range. I tried all the other Strat copies but this is the only one I felt comfortable with although the staggs did look very nice. I wish it had humbuckers to get rid of that annoying buzzing and feedback. this is the best guitar going for the money, get out there and try one.

I think it will stand live playing with the right amp. The hardware looks like it will last forever and the finish is beautiful and looks like it will remain that way for a long time. I feel i can depend and rely on this guitar at a gig without backup, I havent had any problems with it as of yet and i play it 1-3 hours a day.

The action was a little high straight from the factory but felt a million dollars compared to my Yamaha dreadnaught acoustic. It was also out of tune on certain frets (cant remember which) but I took it baq to the shop and they gladly lowered the action as low as it could go (beautiful) and fixed my internation problems. There wer no flaws at all.

I bought it in 2002, so made 2001-2002. It has 22 frets, solid top. 1 volume Switch, 2 tone, 5 way pickup selector, bolt on neck.3 single open coil pickups(os-1x). Body is alderwood, neck is made of maple and bolts on. my guitar is satin finished but u can get them in several different finishes. Beautiful Strat body styling, ith a roseboard neck. all for 115, a great guitar for the money.