STG-003 review by Aria

• Reviewer's score: 5 Decent
Aria: STG-003

I play lots of different music, mainly funk rock and classic rock. It suits my style quite well. I use the Aria AG10 amp I got with it, which is. Ok, but not excellent. Quite a bright sound. Distortion is suprisingly good, abd cleans are, well, clean. Nothing remakable.

I've been playing about five months, but I had to get another guitar after about four months as it broke. If it was stolen or lost, frankly I wouldn't care. I would not get the same guitar again. I really don't like the fretboard, which is extremely flat, so its quite uncomfortable playing chords. Overall, I don't like this guitar.

I've never played live, but this guitar's electronics are NOT reliable. They gave up after about four months.the strap buttons are solid enough. I would definetley not play it without a backup. The finish isn't great as I said before. In general it's not such a reliable guitar.

Action was terrible when I got it, and I had to adjust it to get anywhere near good. Pickups were fine, didn't have to adjust them. The finish smudges and scratches easily and wasn't of the best quality. The fretboard was scratched when I got it, but not seriously.

Strat style alder body. Maple neck. Rosewood fretboard, 22 frets. Floating trem bridge, which is ok, but not excellent. Volume knob, 2 tone knobs and a 5-way pickup selector. Got an amp with it, which is ok. Also got a strap, which isn't reliable, as more than once it has loosened and my guitar has nearly whacked off the ground. Got a gig bag too. 3 single coil pickups.

zack50082
    i have this amp. this is not excellent at all i cant do a sweet solo at all. YUCK!
    rv_phoenix
    TheTangent wrote: I have a gold stg 003 series that I have owned for around 3 weeks. It is my first guitar and is a very good choice in my opinion, the fact that its cheap and performs good is a win win situation, I tried a fender strat in the shop on a really good amp then tried the STG strait after and have to say the fender is definitely better sound wise but no way is it 500 more better. the screw were you jack your amp lead into was a tad loose when I got it but that's about the only thing I had to tighten, all in all I have been one of the lucky ones and got a really good one if what people are saying is true, I would recommend the stg to anyone as it rocks
    You're right about the sound, and accidentally I've noticed Aria STG 003 having an excellent sound, but the 500 quid more are not for the sound. You're paying for the make (not much: Gibson or Ibanez are much more outrageous on this issue) and for the quality work in a Fender guitar. The tuners are much better - and this is important even if you are bedroom hero -, the bridge is much better (with saddles which don't rust in 3 months), the neck joint is close to perfection (and that makes the setup and intonation a piece of cake) etc. etc. Finaly, cheap instruments are good only if you can upgrade them exactly how you wish. If they have limitations (due to bad wood or negligent craftmanship), your life with a cheap guitar will be a continuous search for the better. But you'll never feel confortable, because tho guitar will never be good, and you'll be the first to know that.