STG-003 review by Aria

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Aria: STG-003

The pickups are pretty rubbish. This is a "beginners" model afterall and much like the Squier Strat's they just don't produce exceptional sound. The tones are bland a lifeless and I could only play mine for 10 minutes before I just had to do something about it. Once these a swapped out for something good (I personally put a set of Fender Tex Mex in mine) it really comes to life. The pots are a little substandard but do the job and the 5-way switch is crisp. As stock, I think the pickups are more suitable for clean tones than anything with distortion.

I do love this guitar. My scores are based on "as is/stock"... Overall its a 7/10 from me. It is what it is; a beginner's Strat that is cheap but doesnt't skimp on the build quality. After upgrading the pickups, tuners and nut mine is easily a 9/10 and would rival any Fender out there. Aria really have made a great guitar here that, when tinkered with, is one of the best value buys out there. If you're looking for a beginner's guitar: I would highly recommend buying this over a Squier. If you're an advanced player: consider this a "shell" when you purchase it. Make the changes I recommended and you'll have an axe I guarantee you'll keep forever.

Out of the box it might be risky gigging with this, but after a tune up and some replacements it's definitely a keeper. The hardware holds up pretty well. The nut will need to be swapped out and maybe a new set of tuners over time but everything looks good. The finish will last a lifetime no worries. Because its a poly finish it will never fade or wear off with general use. I would recommend using some scratch and swirl remover polish on it yearly to make it Shine up again and preserve the finish.

Everything about the action, fit and finish is flawless. Everything came setup from the factory. Under the hood there is a swimming pool route so you can throw in humbuckers, P90s, filtertrons or whatever your heart desires. I do like this feature, it comes "mod-ready". The fret work was perfect (no sharp edges) and it just plays really well. The neck finish is also really nice on the hands. Its not glossy, more of an oil-based finish and it gives it that natural look. The body however has a hard poly finish which combined with the colour range it comes in looks really nice.

For what it comes with it really is an excellent unit. I bought mine as a hotrod/modding platform because its almost identical to a Fender without the price tag. In terms of build quality I would say its just as good as a Fender Strat. In terms of hardware; it definitely falls short. The body I believe is Alder 3-piece, but I think it really depends on the guitar you get with how many pieces it will be. It comes with a Standard Strat control layout; 1 volume, 2 tone and 5-way selector switch. The hardware does not appear to be branded, so I would think just cheap Chinese assembly parts.

Gjgjbiggs
    Got one of these. Had it for 5-6 years now. I am brutal to this thing. I have dropped, attempted smashing it, sat on it, stood on it and all it needed was new strings and a truss rod adjustment. It is awesome for blues you can get real nice tones out of it. For $300 its a good guitar. Must admit I would like to maybe put some Seymour Duncan pickups in it.
    Gjgjbiggs
    As there are many brands that have there own strat models out of all the ones i have found this one is the worst. 1. After about 1 month it wasnt working i opened up and already some of the pickups needed replacing. 2. I play a lot of Jimi Hendrix and Eric clapton on this guitar as they both used and use strats and i still dont get the best peformance i got a better Jimi Hendrix sound from an Epiphone SG and i got an Eric Clapton sound from an Epiphone Les Paul that shocks me. 3. The bridge is absolute shit house i have put a new brishe in three times already and the first one was after 3 months. But what i love abut this guitar is weight everybody seems to think this guitar is heavy well maybe they need to go to the gym, As light as a feather this guitar is. P.S You dont need the wamy bar if people are having trouble with that just push on the neck slightly and it sounds close enough to the wamy bar.
    sward89
    Got 1 for 60 quid 3 years ago still plays good and i like to smash it about!!
    TonnerPettitt
    people who are saying it doesn't last long... mine is more than 10 years old and it looks brand new still (ie it keeps very well) and it sounds great to.