STG-004 review by Aria

Aria: STG-004

With humbuckers and 22 frets, it is quite versatile suits my musical style (i.e. a bit of everything). I use it with a Marshall 15CD amp, and I am generally quite satisfied with the sound, but I do get interference, sometimes quite bad, on the neck pickup. Otherwise good though, fairly versatile.

This is an outstanding guitar for starters, in my opinion. It's cheaper than a Squier Strat and has more features. In particular the 22nd fret is handy with many songs I play. I would recommend this for anyone starting guitar, but I would advise them also to check the action and set-up before buying.

This guitar could take a lot of abuse before giving up. Nothing seems like it break/fall off it at any stage. One problem I would have playing live with it is the whammy bar: it de-tunes the strings, especially the G. I have heard thet the necks on starter guiatrs like these tend to warp after a few years. I've had it about half a year, and it still seems fine to me. I expect to upgrade before too long, but I intend to keep this guitar as a back up. I would use it at a gig without a backup, but only because I don't have one! I would use a backup if possible to be on the safe side.

The set-up let a lot to be desired. The action was far too high, and there was mysterious buzzing on the strings. I adjusted the action, and the buzzing seems to have sorted itself out also, so it's fine now. Another problem was the input jack on the body, which was quite loose. I eventually removed the jack plate to try to tighten it from the inside, and in doing so one of the wires broke off! Luckily the guy in the shop fixed it for free for me, and I have no problems with it now.

This is a Strat-style guitar. It has a sting-thru bridge, volume and two tone controls and a 5-way pickuop selector. It also has a 2-way Switch (beside the tone control) that seems to boost the sound from the bridge pickup. There are three pickups: a humbucker on the bridge and siglecoils in the middle and neck position. The neck is bolt-on maple. The fingerboard is rosewood, with 22 frets. The body is made of alder (I think) with a flamed-top finish.

Guitar Pro10
    I have an STG-006 and I'm really glad to be getting rid of it soon. Its been a great second guitar, but i payed 460$ for it. I dont know if the idea is baisicly the same for 004 and 006, but mines a heavy peice of shit guitar the only good thing is the whammy. I don't trust aria to take any guitarist in this day and age very far. I love my aria, i just wont miss it when its gone. IM GETTING A DEAN!!!
    mondaymonkey
    I got some sort of Aria, Its got 2 Humbuckers between a Single coil. Don't see many of them like that, and never at 225 bucks. The bridge pickups being a bit of a dick right now, and its a week old, so ill probably replace the 'buckers when christmas comes round. The wood, its BEAUTIFUL. The actions a bit low on the E and A strings for me, cuz i pound those strings. The nut that surrounds the well that your cable goes in loosens sometimes. just an annoyance, but w/e. The im divided on the goodness of locking tremelos and bridges. I love it cuz it stays in tune (mostly) but when i pop strings, or replace em, its gonna take me a fair bit of time. I would rate this a fab guitar for the price. The wood and setup (HSH) sold me
    Mr.Cr.Guitarist
    I have this guitar... i payed 295$ for it... and i think it sounds good... but i've changed the bridge pickup (now it's Seymour Duncan SH-11)...
    jolleymuse
    i now have a gibson les paul but this guitar is seriously good, no joke. amazing beginner guitar, the split coil bridge pickup means it can do virtually all styles
    lukegjpotter
    I'm a beginner, I got a left handed version of this for christmas, It's been great, Got it for 180 w/Drive CD100 10W amp, lead, strap, Tremelo arm and 3 picks. I got one of those vibration sensing tuners for 25. It is impossible to keep in tune and the tremelo detunes it as well. The coil tap is class, It's pretty good at blues too. The Finish on mine is a Tabacco Sunburst which looks class and only has one tiny, unnoticeable scratch on it, as I play it 3-4 times a day and put it back standing on the floor again. Great Guitar, will last a year or two.
    Bartelby
    derek175
    i like this guitar and for the price 79 the coil tap is a good feature, as for not keeping in tune try ajusting the tremelo springs.. its got a lovely slinky neck..
    juacozeppelin
    Bartelby wrote: I got it 2 years ago and it sucks more and more. At the beginning i was just happy to have any guitar but now i just listen more and more to metal and this guitar is not made for metal... I'm about to buy the Ibanez MTM2 and hope that I'm gonna be pretty glad with it Good guitar for beginners but chose another one after at least one or two years!
    i dont' think you should say that, it just doesn't fit you, i don't think you can handle a guitar like that