STG-005 Review

manufacturer: Aria date: 02/04/2008 category: Electric Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Aria: STG-005
The STG electric guitars offer exceptional value, are easy to play and come in a wide choice of models. All STG guitars feature solid alder bodies, maple necks and rosewood fingerboards.
 8.2
 8.6
 7.8
 2,622
review (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
STG-005 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 04, 2008

Purchased from: MusicPoint Berlin

Features: The Aria STG-005's most outstanding feature in my opinion are the 2 humbuckers, which can both be splitted for a single-coil sound, and which feature a 3-way pickup selector, so they basically allow for any style. It has a good overall quality and is as far as I'm concerned flawless. It has a decent neck with 22 frets, C-shaped and with capsuled mechanics. It has a tremolo that I made a floating one; it's usually locked (tremolo arm is included). The cons include the high weight, although this contributes to the good sustain (even though it's bolt-on), and the high-gloss candy apple finish, which is solid but does not fit the black pickguard; anyway you get used to it. Included accesories are a cable and the tremolo arm. // 8

Sound: As mentioned above, the pickup configuration allows for almost any sound, except maybe jazz or blues which is not my style anyway (I prefer rock f.e. AC/DC, Deep Purple, Rolling Stones, Nirvana, Chuck Berry and classical stuff). I'm using a Roland Cube-20X, usually no effects, only overdrive or tube simulator. The only thing you could critisize is the not-as-high output of the pickup, so you probably might need a boost to get maximum distortion from a tube amp. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: It was already tuned and had a perfectly set neck when I bought it. Had no flaws so far except for the neck pickup which was not perfectly positioned in the middle. Besides that it's a real plug-and-play guitar. Had no loose controls or disconnected wires. // 9

Reliability & Durability: As I had not the slightest sign of a malfunction in the two months I own I would rely on it for Live playing. Strap buttons are solid, even mastered a test with an additional 100 pounds. Finish is solid, too, pretty hard to put a scratch on it. As I only have it for 2 months I'm gonna give it an 8 out of 10, you never know... // 8

Overall Impression: It's certainly a good match for all rock styles, so I'm perfectly happy with it so far. So far I have no regrets about it, and I guess I would buy it again (or the STG-006) as my budget does not allow for more and there are very little alternatives in this price class. So far, I love the fact that it's always reliable and that you can discover a new sound every day. No hatred so far. I compared it to a Yamaha Pacifica 112 and an Epiphone SG-400 and chose it due to the pickup variety, the price and my good feeling about it. If there was one thing I wished it had it would be a higher-output humbucker, I might change that some time. // 9

Comments