010 review by Aristides

Aristides: 010

... wood SHMOOD, this guitar sounds bloody marvelous. I don't know how they did it, and frankly I don't really care all that much. But however the material is composed it resonates beautifully with the instrument and its design. (Interesting side note, the best way to check the resonant qualities of an electric guitar is simply to play it unplugged. A well-made guitar will give off a nice warm and sweet sounding hum with very little buzzing through the whole body when you pluck the strings. And at the end of the day this quality is the difference between say a Stradivarius and well, an instrument you'd find in a toy store.) So for those of you who really are not sold, by the whole "composite material" bit, I really suggest you pick one of these up and play it before you make your final judgement. You will be at least surprised if not impressed. Also, for those who want to know more about the "Arium" material, check out the Aristides website, they go into some detail on the process. But on to more pressing matters. As far as the pickups are concerned the Seymour Duncan setup pretty much covers all your bases. When I looked it up, and for the sake of Precision, the 010 has the following setup: USA TB-5 (bridge) APS-2rwrp (middle) APS-2 (neck) All things said, the guitar basically sounds like a super-charged "fat-Stratocaster". The bridge pickup can be changed from humbucker to single-coil by pulling out on the volume knob. To say the least it makes for a wide range of sound possibilities. I mean, my band plays everything from "Johnny B. Goode" to Rage Against the Machines "Killing In The Name", and the guitar basically did whatever I needed it to and kept great tone and sustain the whole time.

The only thing I would change about this guitar is I would ask the folks at Aristides to make me one that looked a bit less "metal" and a bit more "bluesy"... but that is really just a point of personal preference. Either way, as a guy who plays many different styles of music I have to say that this guitar, for its price range, is great. The amount of care and attention put into its many innovations and details is readily apparent from the moment you pick it up. Combine that with the overall simplicity of its design and the quality of its components and you have a very well made guitar.

So, I'd like to say first and foremost that I am a fan of taking GOOD care of ones equipment. Instruments and gear that are treated with respect last, ones that aren't don't. That said, everything on this guitar (except the fretboard) is made out of either the Arium composite, or metal. And while I don't recommend it, it feels like you could probably use the thing to beat back out-of-control front-row fans and it might even stay in tune... when is the next Reading Festival anyway?

I will start off by saying that for all of the innovation put into the Aristides 010, it is definitely still a guitar. And that is the most important thing. It sounds a bit silly to say, but a guitar should FEEL like a guitar. Yes, looking cool is one thing, but have you ever picked up a guitar that looked great and then felt completely awkward in your hands? Me too. So kudos are in order for the folks at Aristides who were able to find that careful balance aesthetics and comfort. A real Triumph. That said, lets get into the knitty-gritty of the thing. The first thing I noticed about the 010 was the bridge (which I looked up and apparently it's the "Wilkinson VS100N tremolo bridge by Gotoh"). It's like they took the tremolo from a Strat and instead of digging it into the body, raised it up onto the top of the guitar. This seemed totally odd at first, but the more I played the guitar seemed to make excellent sense for 2 reasons. 1.) It appears to mimic a Floyd Rose setup. Basically that means it gives you all the range and fluidity you really want out of a suspended bridge. You can dive bomb your low E string (or I guess even your low D string for you real metalloids out there) and squeal your high harmonics by pulling up on the tremolo bar all in one place. 2.) A bit redundant, but it mimics a Floyd Rose setup WITHOUT the painful tuning issues. Unlike a Floyd Rose bridge (don't get me wrong, those have their advantages) changing strings on the 010 is as easy as changing the strings on a Strat. So, whether your guitar tech is on vacation or you are just a "do it yourself" person like yours truly, changing strings and tuning up doesn't have to take your entire lunch hour. But enough about the bridge. As far as the other aspects of the guitar go, the thing is pretty much "dressed to the nines". Its a one-piece molded body and neck, ebony fretboard, locking tuners, and its built out of a composite material called Arium that was made from pieces of an alien space craft... JUST KIDDING... This point in the review, however, is where you purists out there (myself included) say, "Now wait just one minute?! You mean this guitar is NOT made of wood? How can it even claim to sound halfway decent?" And indeed, it is not made of wood. But I ask all nonbelievers to bear with me and continue reading on into the SOUND portion of my review...

haz_uk
    yea, 3 grand custom shop guitars are really going to be shite. :/
    unluckynumbers
    DonJulio
    Madmax25
    jpnyc
    I would have more faith in this review if it included, and discussed, the price of the guitar.
    Kevy Absolution
    slowguitarman
    crazysam23_Atax : You forgot to post the price. However, I looked it up, and it's about $4500 US. This is definitely worth it, this guitar; but unless you can afford $4500, you're out of luck.
    No, they cost $5670.64 USD.
    Harvey_Danger
    As a student of journalism, I can safely say this goes against proper ethics. If they had been given a free guitar and reviewed it genuinely, without advertising it, the situation would be different, but by virtue of their advertising for the company they are "on the take".
    hildesaw
    Have they run this thing through a wind tunnel? Looks pretty damn aerodynamic, but I don't see what purpose it has for the guitar itself. At least the body modification in a JEM is functional haha.
    LightxGrenade
    I would like to try this guitar out just to see what that Arium stuff is like. I actually like the design, but it would look out of place playing anything but metal. Good thing I'm a metalhead though haha. And as for the whole "integrity" of this review, I understand what people are complaining about, lets just see what a person not affiliated with UG says about it, where would you even get one of these bad boys?
    Otnip
    I like you UG, but not enough to buy a guitar based on a review by the website that decided to post a back-grounded ad about it on its front page.
    Rokeman
    Apparently 49 people, at the time of me writing this, have voted on how good the guitar is. So do all those 49 people own one, or are they judging it by the picture and the advertising issue? Only vote if you've played it!
    Sam Wotrey
    Really?! Wow! This thing must be amazing then! I might as well put off my college fund and get the money to get this guitar since it's made of space alloys!
    ... JUST KIDDING...
    Oh.. Man, I really thought they were serious. [/sarcasm]
    beelzybub
    Sounds like a Steinberger with a headstock to me. Stein's are wonderful so if that's the case this must be a wonderful guitar.
    Lou Hartoff
    oh yeah, this ****ing guitar has aerodynamics! if you throw it in the garbage, it will just fly!
    bucky_2300
    I like how the text under the link to the review is directly lifted from the literature in the ad on the main page. Just how stupid do they think we are?
    cptcomet
    It looks cool, but i've heard it on youtube and it sounds rank. There's just no warmth you get with a wooden guitar, it all seems too robotic.
    Pobre_Bob
    It sounds great on the website, but it looks like a strat battling obesity.
    Sabscope
    This was a really badly hidden fake. This guy is so clearly an adman that it hurts - "(which I looked up and apparently it's the "Wilkinson VS100N tremolo bridge by Gotoh")". Christ this is stupid. UG - delete this 'review'!
    dahelunover
    Rates in US dollars(including VAT but excluding shipping ): $5668.25 - For the aluminium finish model $4807.25 - For the mat black finish model Hmmmn, well after the prices on that "Arium" material drop, maybe then I could afford to have one of these to play around with lol But never the less, I liked the idea of finding a substitute material for wood in guitars, pretty innovative(at least its better than experimenting with plastic lol), only wish it was cheaper though... Oh well, hope this thing lives up to what its supposed to. It's been 6 days since 2010, i wonder the 70+ people that voted for it have tried it out themselves...
    CatAmplifier
    it will never change the wood -_- looked up a couple of vids on youtube pure dead sound of metal -_-
    J.Byrnes85
    to quell any unrest among the conspiracy-theory crowd... I got to play this guitar for 2 months before I wrote the review. I have no affiliation to Aristides. I had no knowledge of UG's marketing for it. I genuinely liked the instrument and will stick to the things I said in the review...
    EPG1965
    I had the opportunity to play this guitar for about a month. I was even more sceptical than a lot of other guitar players, but all I can say now is that it's a brilliant guitar. Very versatile, impressive overall quality and this unbelievable sustaaaaaiiiiinnnnn. It isn't a one trick pony, this one is here to stay. It's more than rock n' roll and I like it.
    wafl
    Kevy Absolution wrote: Good baseball bats are made of wood. Good furniture is made out of wood. And good guitars are made of WOOD.
    metal furniture wont get worn down and is much stronger. Im not talking about any of them fold up chairs neither
    Magero
    Someone once said to me "If any of these 'composite material' guitars were as amazing as the companies claimed, we wouldn't still be using wood in 99.9% of our guitars these days." I agree wholeheartidly. I find it impossible to believe that any non-wood material would ever sound, play or even look as good as a "real" guitar. I'll pass on this "Arium" stuff thanks.
    dnamra13
    I saw a TV show with Adrian talking about the guitar and the business(investors etc). Anyway i'am still very sceptical of the arium body. It is however cool to see inovations like this. For the price i would get a custom made guitar with everything the way i like it. PS: Does anyone else dislike the seymour duncans and the compound radius neck ?
    dnamra13
    I saw a TV show with Adrian in it talking about the guitar but i'am still very sceptical. It is however cool to see inovations like this. Anyway for the price i would get a custom guitar with everything the way i like it. PS: does anyone else dislike the seymour duncans and the compound radius fingerboard?
    Dream Floyd
    Madmax25 wrote: DonJulio wrote: unluckynumbers wrote: Ha, what a coincidence that you should publish such an extolling review just when this very guitar is being shamelessly advertised on the homepage! i was thinking the same thing, but hey, maybe it is a great guitar. it sure as hell looks like one Maybe it is. That's not the point. The point is that we can never view this review as objective since it's part of a marketing campaign on the site... So it just as well might be shite. Witch pretty much renders this review useless...
    this
    runningplanet
    I managed to get both the Aristides 010 and 020 at great prices. The two best guitars I've ever played. I'm in the process of selling off all my other guitars to buy the new 060 model. In my opinion they are that good.
    shwilly
    Even if I'm probably the only person on UG who clicked on the ad because of the fantastic mr. Adrian Vandenberg, I must say I'm impressed by the looks, even though I don't usually like guitars that look as if they could've been used as props by the Star Wars cantina band... I'm still a little skeptical about the sound tho, especially with the "white" model. According to the website it looks that way because it's coated with a thin layer of aluminium which'll "eventually adjust to your hands" or something like that. Now let me ask you, what's the point of the whole "we invented this great and sturdy material that resonates at least as nicely as wood" story if you're gonna cover it with metal?? That and the overall shape of the guitar kinda gives me the idea that making this thing look as cool as possible (which it does) was the main priority and I'm seriously wondering whether that guitar would've ended up with those awesome looking cavities if they had spent most of their time testing the body shapes that deliver the best possible sound..
    Colter
    I hope those hollowed out parts don't add to the resonance of the guitar, they look hideous. I would take those out. AS for the material of the guitar I would love to try it out, maybe it will eliminate the use of wood in guitars (and the value of my wooden ones will sky rocket)
    backtobasic
    Well stated.
    slowguitarman
    OtherGuy
    there's no doubt this looks like (i say looks like because i've never played one) a great guitar, but i think there probably is some bias/bribery going on in there!
    Andragon
    The review has too much "fluff." Get to the point or the "nitty gritty" as you said. Seems like a nice guitar. Probably overpriced though.
    PlayFreebirdNow
    slowguitarman wrote: I would rather put the $6000 that this guitar costs (with current conversion rates for Euro to USD) toward buying a couple of custom shop guitars rather than this. Seriously...you could have a one-of-a-kind, set to your specs custom guitar (and $6000 would likely be enough for two of them in case one was stolen), or you could have an Aristides that is the same as every other Aristides.
    this
    Brutalious
    I was glad to see a review up for this guitar. You know, actually telling us whether not its a good guitar when its being advertised on the front page. UG is letting us know that they're not wasting their time or money with this advertisement. Thanks for the review.
    ChrixtianB
    jajajaaj only you yanquis can believe this review. its mada by the ug team its obvious that they will say this guitar is great. it sucks, pure looking
    TromboneThunder
    The advertising sort of destroys the integrity of the review, yes. That being said, it looks like a well made guitar, and the design is fascinating.
    That said, lets get into the knitty-gritty of the thing.
    It'll make scarves?[quote]