AG 131 review by Ashton

• Reviewer's score: 6.4 Neat
Ashton: AG 131

Purchased from: greens

Loud humbucker. Good loud distorted humbucker. S--t single coils. But the humbucker suits every thing I play well (anywhere from Grinspoon to AFI to Funeral For A Friend, mostly punk though, good punk). Handles drop D flat rather well. I love the sound of exposed humbuckers over lp style covered buckers. My friend's got a J&D Luthiers Les Paul Copy (built in the same factory only thing different from a Epiphone is the head stock) and I prefer the humbucker because the suit my style of music. Great for rise against style stuff. Right now I'm using it thru an Ashton practice amp with a DS-1 and a Ibanez SH-7. Sounds good overall.

Good. Sort of. Maybe not. I've had this for 6 months and I'm already upgrading to a Ibanez artcore (bit odd for punk but they are great guitars) because it looks cheap. Being black it doesn't exactly light up when you hit the stage. It's good for a practice guitar but a stage guitar? No. Enjoy at home.

Used it for a gig. It survived. This was before I resoldered the input and it was screwed. It pretty much broke a couple of days after the gig (note we had been playing all weekend before the gig, just jamming so that probably broke it). The finish is good. Doesn't wear or fade (black). Strap buttons are rock solid. Jumping around like and idiot I broke my strap (s--tty Ashton one, now upgraded toa awesome expensive one).

Bad. Bad. Pickups way too low (but that's just preferance). Input was f--ked. Needed resoldering just to work right. We'll leave it at that.

This is a extremely beginner guitar. But for the price it is good. Very good. the humbucker has got a large out put and is heaps loud but the single coils just suck. they really suck. I've compared it to strats and other Strat copies and these are the worst single coils I've played. that said the humbucker is good. it has a very clear and distorted sound. Tune-O-Matic bridge the doesn't hold the best tune. after about 1/2 a hour it falls out of tune. Tremolo is good for what it's worth.