AG 131 review by Ashton

Ashton: AG 131

Purchased from: Totally Music

I think that this guitar is well suited to most music styles. It sounds fine clean and distorted. It has good sustain and a rich full sound. The worst thing about it is that it is difficult to get natural harmonics going. I am yet to use this guitar in a performance situation, but having seen others use the same model, it is probably best suited to small gigs only (no stadiums, etc).

This guitar is at its best when distorted, and when I play punk and metal it is truly at home. I've been playing 6 months and the only gear I have is this guitar, and its accessories. I didn't ask a thing before ordering this guitar in, as my friend already had one, and I'd played it. If it was stolen or lost, I would wonder where I could lose a guitar, or ask my insurance broker to bridge the void between my hands. I love this guitar full-stop and I only hate that it doesn't have a cooler shape. This was the cheapest guitar out there, and definately the best value. So to all you beginners in the Land Down Under, buy this freakin' guitar!

I wouldn't play this axe live unless I truly had to, but hey, it cost $300 dollars. The strap buttons are solid, but they are too small for the strap that came with the guitar. If I was gigging with this guitar, I would use it without a backup confidently, as it is yet to give me any trouble. The finish was good when I purchased the guitar, but a lack of TLC seems have degraded the finish somewhat.

This guitar was so easy to pick up and play. The guitar was set up excellently and the pickups were well adjusted. The bridge is properly routed and the top was well bookmatched (although slighty darker). The guitar contains no fatal flaws, but the second tone knob is quite hard to turn. The tuning stability of this thing is excellent. I have only had to tune it once in the 6 months I've had it.