AG 131 review by Ashton

• Reviewer's score: 4.6 Poor
Ashton: AG 131

Purchased from: Beggs Music Store

It didn't suit my style (rock back then) at all as the pickups couldn't handle the level of distortion I needed. I used it with a GA10 and a DigiTech Grunge pedal. The guitar can make lots of sounds if you work hard but a lot of playing around with amp settings is required and with a small amp this is not really an option.

I don't own it anymore but basically I wish I had tried it and the amp out first or saved more money and got some decent gear (which I have now). Not really a very good guitar.

The guitar withstood one gig but the neck was so screwed by then that I messed up the intro solo to 'Paradise City'. The strap buttons did not hold the strap very well and the finish had like 10 scratches in it by the time I got it home from the store.

The action was average as were the pickups. All of the hardware and electronics was stock and the neck was very loose as was the output socket.

It was made in Australia, I think it's a 1997 but I'm not sure as I no longer own it. It came in a starter pack and it is a strat-style guitar. 22 frets, green woody finish, made of crappy ash wood. It had a strange stock bridge with a useless vibrato system that would bend strings out of tune every time I used it. 5 way selector Switch, and a volume and tone control. Useless stock pickups with non-locking tuners. Came with an Ashton GA10 Amp a gig bag and a useless cable that always breaks. A good guitar for beginners but not good for soloing or any kind of lead work.