AG 131 review by Ashton

Ashton: AG 131

Purchased from: MusicWorks

I usually play rock/metal music, and it suits that style quite well. It can handle distortion very well, thanks to a quality humbucker. I am using a Ibanez 19 watt amp, and it works fine, except the cable it came with is a toy, and will almost certainly start crackling in your first few months. With a new cable, I could use it to its full potential, and it makes a nice, bright sound.

I play mainly rock and metal. This guitar has suited those styles without a problem. I have been playing for 2 years, and this guitar has been perfect. I wouldn't buy this again, because I'll need a better guitar suited to my needs. I love the ease of use and durability of this guitar, though pickups could be better installed, and a better amp could come with it. Beginners, I strongly recommend this guitar, as you will enjoy its duarability and good quality.

This guitar would do well at small gigs (remember, it is a beginner guitar), however at large ones you really need to invest in a professionally used guitar. The hardware is great, as is the finish. The strap buttons are a bit small for the strap it comes with.

The guitar was set up well. I've had this guitar for two years now, and it's not even beginning to show any signs of strain or damage whatsoever. This guitar will last for years and years. The pickups, especially the humbucker, jiggle a bit, but it doesn't affect the sound. The finish is great, with not a single scratch, and if you give it a bit of a polish, it looks as new.

First and foremost, this guitar is a beginner guitar, so I'm not going to moan about how bad it is compared to expensive guitars. This guitar fetches godd value for a great price. I think my one's a 1998 model, though not sure. 22 frets, rosewood fretboard with maple neck. A solid basswood body with a cool finish. You can choose from a variety of colours. It has a Strat body style and a string through body. It includes 2 tone knobs and a volume knob, and also a handy 5-way selector. Pickup configuration is a humbucker and 2 single coils, I'm not sure about the brand though. Also sports a useful in-built tuner, an Ashton one. The guitar is usually included in the AG131 starter pack, which also includes a gig bag, strap, dvd, spare strings, tremolo bar, and a 10 watt practise amp, wich until recently has been an ancient artefact from 20 years ago, until they threw in a new one. About time.

spyguy34
    yeah people are always so down on guitars its like dont be an ass just keep your comment to yourself
    spyguy34
    if your going to down on this guitar dont be an ass keep your comment to yourself
    EnyoAdonai
    my mate has this guitar, i don't personally think its that great, but hey, it hasn't failed him and my squires (which i would consider a little bit better quality) just been in for repairs just recently, they said it would take 2 weeks, well its been 3 weeks and they told me there's another week and a half to go.. i'm pretty sick of being stuffed around. life goes on though
    Maffyooh
    Yeah i've had my AG131 for a year now, its my first guitar full stop and i got it for 98 with gig bag, a shittyish amp and electric tuner thrown in It has fulfilled my needs perfectly and hasn't failed in anyway, can sound a little shaky at times but thats probably just my shit playing haha.
    IbenezIceman
    i have this guitar(i got it in a starter pack) and from day one shit was braking on me,its not a very good guitar at all,it buzzes like a bitch all the time and the input jack has broke several times,it dosent stay in tune,shall i go on.dont buy it youd be better going for an acoustic/electric for your first guitar or a ibanez starter pack or something
    Bonegrinder
    This is my first electric guitar (got the starter pk)so i don't really have a good frame of reference but I enjoy playing my 131 alot, a good guitar for beginners.
    Atreyu-Metal-A
    This was my first guitar and had it three years and still its perfect in every way, it stays in tune all the time. I'd recommend this guitar to anyone. Don't bother buying dear guitars because when i compare this to a bigger name of brand, it beats it