AG 131 review by Ashton

• Reviewer's score: 6.4 Neat
Ashton: AG 131

Price paid: A$ 199

Purchased from: Music Works

Rock and Metal and it does both well. I now use a Marshall MG amp, Boss overdrive and blues pedals, and a DigiTech Death Metal pedal, the Ashton works well with all, it likes to get dirty. My advice is throw away the lead, strap and strings and buy some better quality ones, Ernie Ball Super Slinky's sound great on the Ashton.

Rock and Metal is well suited to this guitar, but you could play any style with it. I've been learning for 5 years, I now have a Schecter Devil, Dean Razorback and an Epiphone G400, but I still play the Ashton most days "it is my learning guitar". If you are a learner I recommend you consider this guitar, it is good value. The DVD is a great instructional kick start to help you learn to play.

I would not use this guitar live. Keep your tool kit handy, you will need to tighten everything up regularly, keep the strap buttons screwed tight "I had to glue my front one" Get a good strap, lead and strings, keep everything tight and this guitar will last at least 5 years. This is a learner guitar not a live performance guitar. The finish is still great after 5 years.

From the box it played well, good fit and finish, the sound was good. Keep your tool kit handy, you will need to tighten everything up regularly, keep the strap buttons screwed tight "I had to glue my front one" Get a good strap, lead and strings, keep everything tight and this guitar will last at least 5 years. This is a learner guitar not a live performance guitar.

I bought this starter pack about 5 years ago, guitar, 10watt amp, lead, strap, picks, spare strings, Rockhouse instructional DVD and a soft guitar bag. The guitar is a Strat style lefty in black, string through body with a humbucker style pickup at the bridge and 2 singles. The guitar is good, the lead didn't work so Music Works gave me a better lead as a replacement then the amp died after a month and they replaced it, Music Works were great to deal with. My advice is throw away the lead, strap and strings and buy some better quality ones, Ernie Ball Super Slinky's sound great on the Ashton. These are all things you would replace anyway. With good strings you will notice instantly an improvement in sound quality.

BRB Devil
    Yeah i have enjoyed learning on this guitar but if i was starting to learn i would buy an Epiphone. The best thing about the Aston AG131 is that it is a complete starter kit with everything you need but then some of the stuff in the pack is crap and you will need to upgrade to better quality strings, lead, strap and amp.
    Dylrex
    ive got this guitar. it is a very good begginer guitar the whammy bar snapped in mine so tht sux but its really good with a good amp. ( I Have A LINE 6 SPIDER IV 15 amp ). the humbuckers are good. Stays in Tune For about 1 Hour non stop playing. Really Good Begginer Guitar!
    Dylrex
    hendrix2010 wrote: get a squier bullet strat instead
    I would suggest not getting one of tjose either get A Squier Standard Strat or Ashton AG131 or if you want the strat look Ashton AG132