AG 132 review by Ashton

Ashton: AG 132

Purchased from: Allans Music

The sound was awesome when I first bought it. With the amplifier it came with, it sounded pretty decent for a cheap sub-$300 guitar, but unfortunately, I encountered problems with the pickups later on in its life. The treble is awesome, I would rate it 10/10 for treble, and the bass is over average, not excellent 8/10. However, the one criticism I have when you change between treble and bass, is the lack of tone. If you play on bass for a while, then change to treble, your treble will sound a bit dull toned for a short duration.

On the final note: Ashton is a budget guitar company, and of all of the budget guitar companies, I'd rate Ashton as the best as it provides the basics and the all-roundness a beginner's guitar requires. This guitar, in my opinion, would be rated just as good as the Squier Bullet. For any guitar beginners out there, buy an Ashton AG 132 for your first two years of guitaring, and if you like guitaring, drop it down, and purchase a more reliable, and decent guitar afterward.

The hardware doesn't seem like it will last long. As I said, who will ever use a $229 AU guitar as their prime instrument, while there are many other options way above the calibre of the Ashton? This guitar is awesome for beginners, as it only lasted me 1-2 years (I am still using it, but I am planning to buy a decent one with better lastability). However, reliability is an issue (like I said, I just think that I have been unlucky with my guitar). Durability is exceptionally good. I've dropped it several times off the guitar stand, and on hard surfaces, and the guitar has had no scratches or markings from it.

The finish of the guitar is pretty good. As I said, it is a Strat copy, but this Ashton doesn't look as exact as the Strat. Other brands have made better copies. I would describe the look as a mixture of a PRS SE EG body + the headstock of an Ibanez guitar (the Wizardstriker look). I personally thought that the Vintage Sunburst Finish was exceptionally good, as well as the other colours available (trans red, trans blue, black). The only flaws in this guitar (I don't know if it applies to anyone else who owned one), was that the port where the lead is inserted caused troubles with the pickup system and electronics. I had problems where the little nuts and bolts of the port became loose, and hence the wires to the pickups became loose, and so the pickups stopped working. I then sent it to a Guitar Luthier to get it checked up, and he didn't do much to help it except he cut the pickup wires a bit short, and in fact degraded the sound quality. Apart from this (I'm sure that it was just my guitar that was unlucky), awesome action, fit, and finish.

Ashton is a value-for-money guitar company based in Australia, and of course its aims are to provide a decent, durable, and effective guitar at a budget price. Although priced at $229 (on its own), this guitar has served me well. The AG 132 is a Fender Stratocaster copy, but its body is an Agathis Shape (you will notice that the bottom of the body is more rounded off than the Stratocaster). It has a 22 fret maple neck, with Die-Cast machine heads. It features two single-coil pickups, and one Supertone humbucker. It has a 5 way Switch with three control knobs: volume/tone/tone. The guitar is made of solid tone wood (hence the cheap price), and the fingerboard is rosewood. As I mentioned in the price paid section, I bought this guitar in a starters pack for $289 AU, it came with a practice amplifier, a gig-bag, a tremolo arm, a Guitar lessons CD, a strap, a pick, and a lead.

MM14
    I started out with this guitar, it's a good guitar for beginners
    gibofan01
    ive had one for 2 years and it goes out of tune easy also the bolt thingy comes loose is this common?
    gibofan01
    ive had one for 2 years now and ive noticed that it goes out of tune easy and the bolt thingy comes loose alot is this common
    ed1990
    ive had mine for 2 years as well. it does de-tune itself regularly but i havnt had problems with any bolt thingy lol. im about to purchase a prs se custom but my ashton as done me a great service, good guitar low budget guitar for ppl starting to play.
    ThePowerslave11
    I had mine for 5 months and it annoyed me with how often it dropped its tune and the input jack bolt kept unscrewing....however I got a Epiphone SG Special today, and last night i pulled apart my AG132 to see how it looks inside. Now it wont stay in tune but who cares I have an Epiphone SG special now! But the AG 132 is a great guitar to start off with, I got mine with a pack that had everything i needed to start off with. This is great cos the rest of the stuff i kept, (Strap, Amp, Picks, Carry bag) for the new one. I think the whole thing was $299.
    TehHazza
    I've been playing acoustic for about 6 months now, and I'm getting this as a beginner electric. I've tested it at the shop, and it has alright reviews, so I'm saving for it. $279 AUS. $139 off though :\
    jamesmcpherson
    ive had my ag132 for a year now its alright for beginners but strangly the built in tuner is conected to the earth wire i dident have troble with the tuning i rate it a 7/10 =]