AG 180 review by Ashton

• Reviewer's score: 4 Poor
Ashton: AG 180

Purchased from: musicians avenue

Well. metal and rock I guess. But seeing as how I don't play either. Using a Roland GC-405. It's very loud but a bad kind of loud. There doesn't seem like there is much to be done with this guitar in terms of sound. I'd definitely get the neck and pick ups replaces.

I play alot of blues, from Hendrix to Vaughan, and this guitar just doesn't cut it. I've been playing for about 1 year and a half, and I own a Maton EM225C, and a Fender Strat. I have a Roland GC-405 tube amp, that I use for personal practise. If this guitar was stolen, or lost, I'd be upset but not enough to go out and buy a new one. Theres nothing I really like about the Ashton AG 180 and I hate absolutley everything about it. I wish I had saved my money instead and gotten a Tele. As a beginners first electric guitar you'd be better off getting a Squire Bullet.

I wouldn't recommend this guitar for live playing, but it is very durable, I've thrown this guitar around, stepped on it, even chipped it with a screw driver just so I would konw how deep the finish was. The neck though, has started to show wear and tear. The nut for the lead in, comes loose every now and then, which is no problem just need to tighten it again. This guitar should last a long time.

Action was average. The pickups were horrible, the truss rod adjustment was way out of place meaning I'm going to have to drill out some of the neck to get to it.

Purchased in 2003, made in Vietnam. Not sure about the year though. 21 frets. Solid top. The neck is rosewood. But sure bout the body. The neck though, I had the normal strings which were 9s replaces with 11s and the neck started to bend. I can't even adjust the tension, because the truss rod won't even fit inside. The string trees on the head eventual flew off because of the strings gauge, and I had to replace them. So don't use 11s or higher on your Ashton. Also the action was a bit too high, and I couldn't lower it either, because it would buzz. Strat body with black finish with white pickguard. I found that original strings that it came with, the bottom E string would never be tuned properly. But that was fixed with I replaced the strings. The pickups are crap and so was humbucker. They buzz, distort and give off too much feedback at high sound levels. So it's best to play them at low level. Too much bass on neck pick up. Came with lead cable, picks, and amp.