AG 200 Review

manufacturer: Ashton date: 07/05/2004 category: Electric Guitars
A bolt-on maple neck and a rosewood fingerboard with 23 frets. The guitar allows to get quite brigh tone. It's recommended to beginners and maybe a little advanced players too.
 4.1
 7.2
 1,482
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
AG 200 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 05, 2004

Purchased from: A local music store

Features: Made in Vietnam, and I'm not sure about the year but I bought it new four months ago, and I think this one is made after 2000. The guitar features a bolt-on maple neck and a rosewood fingerboard with 23 frets. It has 1 tone and 1 volume knobs, two humbucers + 1 singlecoil, and I guess they are manufactured by Ashton. 5-position Switch. Body is Stratocaster, and my gitar has a wicked dark-green-black mixture finish, that gives the guitar a cool heavy-type look. The tuners are I guess non-locking, but I have absolutely nothing to say about their manufacturer. I'm not a pro in guitra business, so I can't tell wich kind of bridge the guitar has but, I think it's not very cooporating (did I type it right?) with doing lotsa bendin' n' stuff. It came with a vib, but it only gets it totally off tune so I think the bridge is thge only "bad" thing about the features. // 8

Sound: The guitar looks like a wicked metal guitar, a true "Hevikeppi" (as we say in Finland). I play music like Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, Guns N Roses, Slipknot, In Flames, Children Of Bodom, Impaled Nazarene, and yes even Hammerfall. I think this guitar supports pretty much all these bands, so you could say it suites for pretty much all heavier music. But it could allso be my Modeling guitar amp, Zoom Fire 30, and with that thing you can make it sound like anything you could possibly want. I have also played it straight through a computer with a Boss metal zone, and it sounds goddamn cool, I often use this only with Slipknot though. The guitar allows you to get quite brigh tone, and I think it's good for soloing, but you can play those fat Metallica tones with it too. I also think it makes pretty rich Pinch Harmonics, and I use them a lot. I have A falcon les Paul too, and I have noticed that with the Ashton i like pinches more. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This is the most weakest part about this baby. I had to adjust the bridge so that the strings were closer to the fingerboard, but then again it's a personal matter how u like 'em. The volume and the tone controls were pretty loose, and you could easily rip off the metal parts over the knobs, but it actually makes'em better. (They also look more "heavy metal" this way.) The biggest broblem is the plug in. You'll get to constantly fix the cable until you get the guitar to ring. This could, of course, be the cable too, but I don't think so. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I have not ever played this live, but I think it would'nt be a bad idea. Now the thing I would be worried about live playing is that the plug will easily fall off the plug-in. The other thing about live playing is that there is a danger that the strap could fall if you really "rock" it, it has happened to me at home a few times, but then again it could be my strap. The finish is good though, it only has got a few scratches on it but I think it'll last long. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall it's that I really like this guitar. It suites me good since I truly ain't no pro, but maybe I would recommend it even to people who have palyd longer than me. I hate most in this guitar that the G string won't hold it's tune, no matter what. (And yes, I tried replacing it.) I've been thinkin of bying a Bc Rich Warlock or Virgin, or a more "Rock" Guitar, sumthin' like a Epi Les Paul. I've been playing for like a little less than a year now, and it suites my needs well, so I guess I'll stick with this for a while. But I have no "regrets" of byin' it, since it's a OK guitar, and 220 eur isn't too bad for a guitar this good. I recommend it to beginners and maybe a little advanced players too? Rock on! // 8

Comments