AGL300 review by Austin

Austin: AGL300

Purchased from: Daddy's Junky Music

My style is mainly classic rock. I'm a HUGE Queen, Aerosmith, and Led Zeppelin fan. I'm also heavily into Jimi Hendrix, Beatles, Rolling Stones, and KISS. And I gotta say this is right where I want it to be. I use it on a Fender SP10 amp (its one of them abnormally small amps... Don't judge). And it sounds great! I also used it on a Vox and Marshall half-stack and that sounds equally as nice. Is it noisy... Well there's no feedback even when you go really close to an amp or computer... But if you put the amp up at 10 then yea its REALLY noisy. The sound is EXACTLY like that of a Les Paul. The sound can vary as much as the user's imagination. With two tone dials, and a toggle Switch that can make a deep, melodic sound (rhythm) or a high cutting edge rock sound (treble)... Or if you wanna go the Jeff Beck way and go in between them.

I play rock... Just plain rock hahaha. And to me the perfect guitar for that is the Les Paul... But seeing as how the real Gibsons are well over 2, 000 dollars and even Epiphones are at least 500 this is the perfect choice. I've been playing guitar for 5 years now and I also own a Fender Acoustic and a Black Fender Strat... Neither compare to this one. I believe I asked more than enough questions about this guitar before I bought it hahaha. Should this guitar ever be lost/stolen I'd be devastated. I'd try to FIND the guitar first and with no luck I'd buy another one. I just love this guitar altogether and I don't hate one thing about it :) My favorite feature: THE GUITAR :) I compared it to a few other Les Pauls and SGs and I just loved this one because I couldn't put it down and the price whooped the others. If ANYTHING I wish it had a bigsby but hey I can live without.

This guitar will sustain live playing... As long as the USER doesn't do anything stupid with it (ex: SMASHING IT). The hardware seems as though it will last. The strap buttons are solid and I've played this thing live and for people before and they were awestruck. I would definitely use this guitar at a gig... But a back-up wouldn't hurt (that's just the way I am). The finish is perfect... Nuff said.

Most guitars around the $200 range are pretty iffy... So naturally I had this one checked out... THOROUGHLY. And it was incredibly well made. No scratches, no dents, no broken pieces, the tuners all work well, the paint is on well, no loose parts. This thing is well put together. Even the pick-ups worked amazingly. The Bridge and top are well done as well. I found no true honest flaw to this guitar. The only thing that I disliked was that its a 9 pound guitar and that's just a little heavy but hey I'll live.

-22 frets -Rosewood fret board, block style pearl inlays -Solid archtop -Basswood body with maple neck -Ebony finish -Les Paul body shape -tune-o-matic bridge? -2 volume, 2 tone -nickel-covered humbuckers (1 rhythm, 1 treble) -Toggle Switch to Switch the pickups being used

SlashWannabe1
    The thing is who buys a copy guitar and expects the electronics to be great? The only thing I care about is if the wood and guitar playability & quality is there...it most certainly is on the Austin Les Paul Copy I bought, I removed the stock pickups and put Slash Signature Pickups in both neck and bridge postions and its fkn orgasmic!.
    doug.henninger
    There are Korean made older Austins that have a slanted block letter name on the headstock and they are a great value. I have an LP, SG, and PRS style... all through neck and all have a model name AU*** with 3 digits for the '*'. Look for the older Korean ones and get a very nice guitar all over and good pickups for $120-160 USD. See my review above of the AU786, which I have. These Korean ones are NOT 2nd rate instruments.
    Axegrinder6
    I have a tobacco burst version of this with all gold hardware and gold humbuckers. I bought it used and abused at a local pawnshop for about $35.., YES.., only $35!! I used to own a '79 Silver Anniversary Les Paul Custom which I bought brand new (was stolen in 1992 along with my Peavey Heritage amp).., so I know all too well what a true LP is supposed to sound like. I had the broken truss rod replaced with an actual LP truss rod, tossed the stripped and bent bell tuners and installed a near mint condition set of 1981 LP Custom Deluxe Gold Button style keys I was given by a friend. The pick up selector switch was bad, and I installed one salvaged from an old ESP guitar I was given which was ruined by water damage. The pickguard and bracket were missing and both pickup shrouds were cracked. Thanks to parts spray, my electronics knowledge and salvage abilities, and most of all.., EBay.., I have transformed the guitar into one extremely fine looking and well playing instrument. I swapped out all of the damaged black guards and covers for some after market crme colored replacements which better accents the color of the guitar's finish. The only upgrades I am considering is installing Bill Lawrence XL-500's.., only.., special ordered with gold dust covers, a series split parallel switch for both pickups, and a phase reversal switch. But even if I leave it as is.., it's still a very nice axe and I'd seriously be in search of another one if something happened to it.
    Blackdogxx
    AGL300 for an Austin surprises me. The fellow may be wrong and be thinking about Agiles. All the older Korean Austins I saw have AU*** with 3 digits for the model and it's on the back of the headstock. I never ran across an AGL300 in eBay or any other way. He should have told us where the AGL300 is on his guitar, if anywhere.
    loinmute
    The problem w/these type of guitars is they are not really suitable for live playing night after night. More suited for the beginner guitarist kid in his/her bedroom. -1 on the review