ERA Standard review by Austin

Austin: ERA Standard

Purchased from: The Music Store

I blend classical and blues styles into heavy metal. This guitar gets the blues and classical part down, but the single coils aren't too good for metal, so if you're getting this for metal get some EMG's. I use a Crate VTX65, (the built in tuner helps) and sounds good on te rhythmn and clean channels. Full, rich sound on those two channels, but not on the solo channel, or at least not with those pups. Still, it does a lot, good sustain, full sound, plays classical to classic rock well.

Good match for all styles, but, to me, doesn't sound good on the solo channel. I've been playing for 2 yrs. I play this through a Crate VTX65 and it sounds awesome on the rhythmn and clean channels. If it were stolen, I would get an inexpensive ESP model instead. I love the look and playability, but I hate the pups and horrinle tuning stability. I wish it had locking auto-trim tuners, Super Vee bridge, EMG stacked pups, and schaller strap locks. Still, great beginner guitar, kudos to Austin.

This guitar will withstand Live playing, but be sure you bring a tuner or get locking tuners or a Super vee. Solid strap buttons, but get locking strap buttons for security, it's all fun and Games until someone's guitar is all ove the floor. Hardware will last, but if you're going to play this for a while, get some good parts for it. I have a couple of nicks in the finish, but still pretty strong. should last a good long time.

The guitar came in perfectly, not a single problem. Pups well adjusted, everything was fine, no real flaws. The only flaw I've ever seen from Austin was the action on my Austin SG was horrible. That doesn't mean Austin is no good though. Good guitar especially for beginners.

I'm not sure when my Austin was made, probably around 2006. 21 rosewood fret neck, not too thick, not to thin. Solid alder body and normal finish. The classic Strat design of 3 single coils and 1 vol. and 2 tone knobs with a 5-way selector Switch. Cheap hardware, but it still works. If you get one, get a Super Vee floyd rose bridge and locking tuners. Good for beginners, though.

V_mike
    This was my first electric, it was barely used before I bought it. Intonation was horrible due to the saddles being switched around. I might gut it like BladeSlinger. Could give me a chance to learn the inner workings of electric guitar w/o worrying about ****in' up my Mexican Strat
    metal jello
    Why don't they have the AU776, or the SG looking Austin I should say? It's Austin's best guitar.
    V_mike
    if that first reviewer really has a mahogany neck on his i would be surprised. i have only seen maple/rosewood necks on these. Is anyone actually sure of the body wood? It looks like basswood to me (take off the jack plate). If you know please share the goods.
    ePOWsa
    This was my first guitar,its a pretty decent starter guitar, better than a lot of the same ones out there for the price. I swaped the stock pups out for lace sensors and it sounds awesome.
    SkyValley
    One cool thing I noticed about this guitar is that the neck and bridge pickup slots are chambered for H-S-H even though it has S-S-S. Meaning with a different pickguard you could make this guitar either H-S-S or H-S-H to your liking. Also, the body doesn't seem to incorporate any crappy plywood core or anything like that and the neck is actually really nice if you file down a few fret ends and hammer down a few high frets. This guitar makes an excellent cheap mod platform.
    doug.henninger
    I have an Austin that appears (from the characters on the small labels) to have been from China and not Korea. I own 3 Korean ones (LP, PRS, SG styles) and they are excellent. Better build and detailing than Epiphones and close to PRS SE line. The China Strat copy is good for $100 in nearly new condition. The tuners are very smooth with small buttons (may be replacement tuners) and the trans dark red body looks much like an SG red color. Satin neck finish and rosewood board with good frets that take a polish well. Pretty good bridge with solid chromed saddles. For $100, it is well worth it to get a decent Strat and then go get a set of Kent Armstrong pickups and you still have a guitar that is better sounding than a stock Classic Vibe 60s at about $100 less. If you get an Austin, try to ensure it was from Korea. My 3 are excellent and were all about $150 or even $120 for the LP !