PRS review by Austin

Austin: PRS

Price paid: C$ 100

Purchased from: King Of Trade

it has three ranges of sound, from bright to fat and mellow sounds, it has a good variety of sounds with the tone knob too, it's useful for almost any style of playing, I play mainly rock and metal and it suits it great, many guitarists and friends who have tried it said it was great with very good sounds, I use a couple amps with it, I mainly still use my starter amp, a Peavy Vypyr and it still sounds amazing. I can get the sound I want from that guitar in almost any amp.

As I sad, I play metal and rock, perfect for all styles, its great, for the price of 100$ it is far more superior than any other guitar in that price range, I really like the fact that its so durable, the neck and action is my least favorite part but it's easy to fix up, my ultimate favourite part is, for any tuning you give it, either drop D, C open C or drop B it will always stay in that tuning unless you change it.

this guitar can withstand live playing and gigs, the hardware is in great condition and is always ready to plug in and go, the paint finish is also in a great condition, the best part of it is that it always stays in tune. Over all, the reliability of that guitar is very good, great wood, barely any scratches, dents or flaws, its always ready to go in a gig. It occasionally needs maintenance but its nothing to hard to handle.

All of the features of the guitar when I got it were great, perfect and ready to play, (note that I got this guitar second hand) it was in great condition, abit of tiny scratches but over all flawless, the neck is slightly off and in need of changing the truss rod angle. There were abit of iffy parts of the guitar but it didn't take long to fix it up, it feels brand new.

The Austin PRS (Paul Reed Smith) isn't really a guitar you'd see every day, it was made in China, its a great quality guitar with a great variety of sounds, passive electronics with two humbucker pickups, a tone knob a 3-way, Tap and a volume knob, it has Standard frets and a red and yellow sunburst paint. It has a tune-o-matic bridge. I can get the sound I want from that guitar when I want.

doug.henninger
    There are Korean made older Austins that have a slanted block letter name on the headstock and they are a great value. I have an LP, SG, and PRS style... all through neck and all have a model name AU*** with 3 digits for the '*'. Look for the older Korean ones and get a very nice guitar all over and good pickups for $120-160 USD.
    doug.henninger
    There is no Paul Reed Smith guitar made to be labelled 'Austin' ... There are copies of other types as well as PRS (I have an LP, SG, PRS generic style). The good ones are from Korea (see above). My 'PRS style' is model AU792. The original post appears to be from a teenage kid or foreign national. The English is poor and the description is nebulous. "I can get the sound I want from that guitar when I want. // 10 " is laughable. I own the 3 named above and all are very well made with good pickups; all are Korean and older... not current ones from China. My PRS-style Austin is about the same build quality as my Korean PRS SE Santana II (2002), but the Austin has better stock pickups. The guitars are very similar in detailing and hardware quality. At about $120-140, an Austin from Korea in nearly new shape is a very nice deal.
    Blackdogxx
    Comment that an Austin 'PRS style' is not a PRS is self-evident. Alvarez had the Austin line brought in from overseas (Korean ones, China ones) and none is called a Paul Reed Smith. A PRS/SE is a 'student edition', some of which were made in S. Korea and are nice for the much lower price point. My point in the review is that since I own an SG, Tele, LP, and PRS style ...all from Korea ... is that they sound good, feel and can be set up good and are nearly the guitar a PRS /SE is with better stock pickups and about 1/2 the cost or less. Austin never took off as a brand, but neither did nice Hohners. I have 3 of them that are quite good sounding and playing guitars (at $120-150 virtually unmarked). Some guys want an inexpensive guitar that is 80-90% of the way toward a good one (Gibson or Fender) for a couple hundred dollars or less. That's all. It's not a contest.
    Stevegio
    guitar is not a prs..nice try but prs has never built a guitar in china...just a rip off of the name not a real prs!
    Stevegio
    Not a REAL PRS just a name RIP OFF PRS has NEVER built a guitar in Chine....somebody snowed you GOOD!
    VoodooMang
    It is an AUS-970 or something like that. It's not a PRS, but looks similar and is actually a decent guitar for the money.
    superdaddyt
    I just got a AU792 from ebay for 130$ and it is nice for the price. It has similar looks to a PRS but it is not a PRS. Mine is made in Indonesia and it feels like an epiphone, probably made in the same factory. The pickups are surprisingly nice, I had bought it with plans to replace the electronics but it sounds good and the electronics are nice and the wiring is very neat. I would not pay more than what I paid for this but it is a great guitar to take out without getting stolen, knocked around, or stepped on. I sent Austin an email and asked about my serial number but they did't reply. Bottom line it is a nice cheap guitar but it is a cheap guitar not a PRS