Vintage Rock review by Austin

• Reviewer's score: 6.4 Neat
Austin: Vintage Rock

Purchased from: Music Maxx

I play mostly Yngwie Malmsteen influenced soloing, so this guitar is not much help, but it is my first guitar, I've had it for 4 years and it sounds ok, I run it through a Zoom 606, which is awesome for boosting highs, I have a Crate 15 watt amp, which is loud to me. It doesn't have much sustain, I judged this guitar by how it plays without the electronics though. Acoustically it is fairly loud, but it doesn't ring for a long time.

I play neoclassical now so this guitar doesnt cut it anymore, but when I go into blues mode or Santana mode, I totally rip on it. I've only been playing for 4 years, But I feel I have progressed alot faster than other people and have been told I play more like I have been playing for about 10 years. I wouldn't buy it again though. I would rather get an ESP MH-50 then put a floyd rose original on it, repaint the body a custom paint job, scallope the frets, put Dimarzio Evolution pickups in it (coloured) and that would probably do me perfect. But I'm not gunna sell this guitar, I am just gunna play blues with it, It looks nice.

The worst thing that has happened is a crappy soldering job on the input jack, I redid it myself, and the volume pots are starting to get buzzy, I noticed it the most when I was play (316), Where you use the volume knob for slow attack. But the Zoom 606 has a feature that does it automatically so if youve ever seen yngwie using that slow attack technique and want to replicate it easily, get a Zoom 606. The rest of the guitar is very dependable, I find that it stays in tune pretty good, but if you bend the shit out of it on 22nd fret high E string, the string either breaks or goes down a bit.

Guitars aren't set up right anyways, I just adjust the action myself because its tune-o-matic, so its easy. Whenever I put on a new set of strings, about every 4 weeks. I redo the action so its just right. The pickups are ok for blues, they are far from great, but I find they work. The finish, Heritage cherry sunburst, looks like Jimmy Page's Les Paul so much, and at the time I wanted to emulate him quite a bit because I thought he was an amazing guitarist. But my styles have changed meaning I need somthing a bit faster. Better pickups could easily make this guitar 100% better though.

Wood body, maple neck and rosewood fretboard, like every other guitar, les paul body, almost identical to Gibson other than dot inlays instead of squares, Tune-o-matic bridge, junkie pickups, cheap everything but it works.