FireAx review by AXL

• Reviewer's score: 4.4 Poor
AXL: FireAx

Purchased from: Austin Music co.

This guitar sounds very good for the price paid. It simply screams metal, and that's what it does. The guitar doesn't handle other musical styles very well, and will make all your songs sound bassy and crunchy. I am using this guitar on a low grade amp that came in a starter package, and the guitar still sounds great. Definitely the strongest aspect of the guitar.

I play a lot of metal, and the sound of this guitar matches perfectly. However, after all the stuff I had to go through to get this POS working right, and all the stuff that is still going wrong with the guitar, no fun can be had with this beast. You would be better off buying a $250 Dean Generic V guitar than buying this piece of junk. Remember, there is a reason the AXL is not a very well known guitar manufacturer.

After Recieving my guitar back from the repair shop, there are a few more problems to be had. The buzzing is slowly coming back, and frets are making weird noises out of nowhere. Instead of the classic sound you get from holding a fret down, you get this ear-killing twang-ah sound that just kills any song I play. Definitely not reccomended for gigs, or playing guitar in general.

I mentioned before that the guitar was made in China. That is were the guitar fails. When I recieved this guitar (the shop ordered it from a distributor), the action was terrible, the frets were even poorly placed, the neck of the guitar wasn't even aligned properly with the body, the tremolo wouldn't hold tune for beans, There was horrible buzzing, and the strings sat precariously about half an inch up away from the fret board and misaligned with the fretboard and body of the guitar. To top it all off, they gave me strings not fit to tie my shoes with. Did I mention I had to pay $170 to get all this stuff repaired? Terrible, just terrible.

The features on this guitar are actually pretty cool, 24 jumbo frets with a killer "arrowhead" inlay. A solid Alder body (that feels very cheap and plastic-y). A licensed Floyd Rose bridge that holds tune fairly well when properly set up. A five-way selector switch and three EMG-designed pickups. Made in China. It's a pretty Standard guitar, with nothing else going for it except for an interesting look. A real eye pleaser, except for the ugly "horn" near the adjustment knobs (2 tone, 1 volume) and selector switch.

AlexAvarice
    I think you may have had a dud guitar. My bassist plays guitar on the side and has this model. I have played on it myself and had no troubles. In fact, my biggest issue was that my bassist polishes all his gear and my slides were going too fast. If you still have the guitar, write an E-Mail to Axl HQ and ask them to replace the guitar with a new one. If you already sold it, then I guess it just wasn't the guitar for you.
    stillfretdog2
    i just bought this model for my 8 year old son the set up was GREAT&sound/action flawless i feel for the price that it.s money well spent as the hardware alone is worth MORE than the guitar itself!! it feels nice,easy to play and just SCREAMS metal when played through even a cheap marshall i,m sorry to hear beebaboo had such a bad time with this model , but it seems more probable that the cause of beebaboo,s problems are more the result of apoor set up by an inexperianced /poor guitar tech
    ihavenoname93
    some kid at a show i was playing at lent me this guitar when i broke a string on my guitar and my backup. i love the sound, but its ugly as hell
    SkyValley
    Sounds like you got a lemon, sir. It's a risk you take when you buy a cheaper guitar (or any guitar really) direct from the manufacturer. I have a cheaper Axl model and it's really good, and I've seen people tear it up on these Fireaxes with no problem.