ASM Pro review by B.C. Rich

B.C. Rich: ASM Pro

Purchased from: Ebay

It suits my music style very well as I play metal. I'm using it with a solid state Marshall amp, and my DigiTech RP150 and my Dunlop wah. EMG-81 (bridge position) The EMG-81 is a high output pickup designed especially for the lead guitarist. The 81 is at its best for high volume overdrive and amps with a master volume. Whether you're playing power rock and roll, or overdriving your amp, there's a razor sharp attack, and incredible sustain for brilliant soloing. If you're looking for exceptional qualities in a rock pickup, the EMG-81 is the one. EMG-85 (neck position) Although the EMG-85 has more measurable output than the 81, its frequency response and string interface are different. The 85 uses two Alnico magnet loaded coils with a wide aperture to maintain a beefy low end and a fatter top end. Because of a more natural tone, it works great as a rhythm and blues pickup because it has loads of output but isn't muddy. The pickups are really good but not the best. The sound from the guitar is rich and full,but would be better with a valve amp,the guitar can make a few different sounds when tweeking with settings

This suits my style very well as I play metal. I have been playing for 9 years and own 2 other guitars, a BC Rich KKV And an Ibanez RG270.I was happy to purchase the guitar, and if it got lost or stolen I would get another one for definite. Feature-wise this guitar is almost perfect! There is no need to add or remove anything, and that is quite an achievement considering that it's quite hard to please every musician's desire, I love everything about it other than the finish scratching which I hate as its a gorgeous guitar. I wish it had a coil tap, and I compared it to the Jackson SL2H Soloist and the ESP FR2 Horizon, I chose this because it had similar features but costs a lot less.

If you need an instrument that withstands live performances and studio sessions, rehearsals and practicing, you should rest assured that B.C. Rich's ASM Pro is a great choice. This instrument is definitely built to last and will do so, The hardware seems like it will last, the tuners are grovers, and the Floyd Rose trem is awesome. I would bring a backup guitar incase of string breakage, altho I never really break a string. The finish is well done and will last for definite, hate seeing scratches as its so beautiful.

Mine was setup well except I had fret buzz on a the 1st 2 frets on the low strings. I had to do a little truss rod adjustment to fix this. Everything else was fine and the way it should be. There were no flaws whatsoever other than some fret buzz.

I have the Black cherry burst finish, I think it was made in 2010, made in korea. It has 24 jumbo frets and a 25.5 scale thin like an Ibanez neck. The body wood is mahogany which sounds nice, and the neck is made of maple with an ebony fretboard, the neck is smooth on the bank but has a finish. It is a flamed maple top I think. Start body shape, has a Floyd Rose frt-2000 tremolo. And active EMG 81 And 85 pickups. Has 1 volume, 1 tone and 3 way selector. Grover tuners, and came with the allen keys needed.

MetalMike676
    whaip wrote: I'm sick of seeing cheap guitars ranked >9
    I'm sick of people hating BC Rich's with no good reasons to back it up
    MetalHeadMat
    He's saying the EMG's suck because he's using a SS amp with a distortion pedal, of course they'll suck.
    oceansoul999
    I played one not long ago, and I have to say it blew me away! The playability of this is just extraordinary. Needless to say I'll be adding this to my collection!
    GUITAR ABUSE
    @beplay definitely get 1 their killer,no its the korean made original floyd rose,stays in tune really well if the strings are stretched properly,i love this guitar its the best bc rich ever
    beplay
    This is awesome guitar and I hope I'll buy one this year.
    has a Floyd Rose frt-2000 tremolo
    Are u shure? Official site says about Floyd Rose Original which I belive is made in Germany by Schaller. Am I wrong?
    GUITAR ABUSE
    but their not the best sounding pickups for say versatility,compared to a dimarzio tone zone or a seymour duncan sh-6.i love both active and passive pickups,may get the alexi laiho signature set and pop it into this guitar
    GUITAR ABUSE
    i love this guitar and i love emgs,but their not the best sounding pickups,their awesome for metal.and i know a tube amp would make a difference.i use a Marshall G30R Cd amp with the guitar.this BC Rich is awesome.
    !-twisty-!
    whaip wrote: I'm sick of seeing cheap guitars ranked >9
    Are you aware of the stats of this guitar for the price it deserves it
    zakarai
    I thought this guitar was really good? Mahogany body, original floyd, EMG's, and ebony neck? :s
    themelodicdeathshow
    ChucklesMginty wrote: You're not using EMGs to their full potential with an SS amp, they're designed to push tube amps harder.
    Not really true at all lol but partly right actives sound better with a full tube amp, kind of like an od pedal sounds/ works best with a tube amp.
    Dexter_prog
    "The pickups are really good but not the best" "It suits my music style very well as I play metal. I'm using it with a solid state Marshall amp, and my DigiTech RP150." That's your problem, crappy equipment. You're better off with ampsims
    Clabbe
    Haha nice! I like the sound of EMG 81/85! I play with active pickups, but i'm gonna save up for 2 passive =D
    bustapr
    I always wondered why guitar makers always screw with the player by putting the pickup switch in the most horrible position... Why not make it les paul, or strat-like, so that the player can actually switch quickly without hitting the volume or whacking the horrid whammy bar...
    zerocenx
    Sound is in the ear of the Beholder I guess? I personally prefer LiveWire pickups over EMGs but thats because of the whole "Dave Mustaine has them ergo they are much better" deal.
    ChucklesMginty
    Sechter
    "The pickups are really good but not the best" How ive longed to see that about emg 81's & 85's x]
    whaip
    I'm sick of seeing cheap guitars ranked >9
    junyjun1
    Try getting a Gibson or Fender with these specs and see what you pay for them. haha! As a marketing major, I know how expensive a "brand" can be, even when it has the same quality rating of a lesser thought of item by consumers.