ASM Standard review by B.C. Rich

B.C. Rich: ASM Standard

Purchased from: evilbay

I don't have a specific style, been playing 20 years and in the early days always used Superstrats so I bought this on a bit of a nostalgia trip partly based on the price. Having said that the coil tap and the fact the Rockfield pickups have a good sound makes this a diverse guitar. I've put it through a Sound City Valve combo and a Marshall solid state up to yet, sounds good, does the Slayer thing well due to its darker tone. Surprisingly good clean tones too. It is'nt noisy in any way, distorted it has a slightly dark but warm tone, plenty of variety on sounds but the volume control is'nt very subtle- it goes from nothing to in your face. Based on price paid and the coil tap this scores high.

It suits my needs. Into a lot of old Thrash and Hardcore stuff, SOD, Bad Brains, etc. I wanted a Superstrat for fun and the nostalgic trip (playing 20 years), at 102 I can't complain but if I had paid the recommended RRP (280) I would be pissed off about the tremolo arm. I've had a lot of gear, kind of settled on Vintage Fenders (Jaguar, Mustang) but I've tried most. In comparison to the BC Rich classic series (I had a Bich model) this is'nt in the same league but its a decent Superstrat, not the best by a long way but does the job and looks the part. I'd buy another at that price I paid if it got lost or stolen. I like its looks and the diversity of the sounds, but more so its fun to play. Was browsing Superstrats for some time but liked the idea of a BC model because I liked what I've played in the past, plus they seem out of fashion lately so prices are good. No interest in Schecter or ESP, had loads of Ibanez so BC it was! As I said, it would have been nice to have had a better Floyd Rose on it but when you want to pay little these are the sacrifices you make! Despite the tremolo arm issue and based on price it scores high.

I'd definitely gig it, everything seems solid but I'd always have a back up with any Floyd equipped guitar.

The guitar was'nt set-up in any way other than strung. Major issue; tremolo arm was too big to fit in the socket! I had to file it down a little to get it to go in. I repair guitars locally so it did'nt bother me too much in reflection to what I paid but still, it is unacceptable. I may have bought a b-stock duffer, I don't know? The pickups were fairly balanced and the guitar in general is reasonable good quality, light years better than the awful 'Class Axe' 80's BC models (that I've tried). My only complaint besides the tremolo arm being the wrong size is the Floyd Rose copy could have been one of the 'better' ones. don't get me wrong it does its job but I've played better, even on Squier's. Pity about the trem and arm, it would have scored higher otherwise.

This is a brand new Chinese made ASM Standard. Standard gloss black finish 24 frets Licensed Floyd Rose/locking nut 2 x Rockfield passive humbuckers Coil tap switch, 1 x volume, 1 x tone Superstrat style with pointy headstock BC Rich tuners Slim neck, flat radius with circle inlays w/black centres. Its a Superstrat.

kodadak
    ^ I actually prefer more humble body shapes, my primary guitar is a Jaguar, but a BC Rich without some crazy is body is like a Gibson with single coils, it's just not natural.
    MarkoakaNiggaK
    i`ve lold at this when i`ve seen this....a bc with strat body? well seems to be alright...for that price to get that fat sound that the pups produce and a functional tremolo with locking nuts is a pretty good deal...probably my next guitar cuz i`m on a low budget...after i get some more money i`ll install an original Floyd and it will be an awesome guitar...
    MarkoakaNiggaK
    RR3tran wrote: I've been in the market for a superstrat. How does this compare to the Jackson JS32RT Dinky? Licensed Floyds are a bad idea, based on my experience. Which is why my next guitar will probably be string-through
    u mean with a fixed bridge...string trough refers just to the way you have to string a guitar...
    Musicus77
    i got a special edition bc rich metal spiderweb Bich and it plays sooooo nicely BC RICH FTW
    Btbamfan92
    DaMetalMaverick wrote: kodadak wrote: A BC Rich without some crazy body shape? What is this madness? LOL! I know dude, I flipped out in disgust when I saw this. I like my Mockingbirds and Warbeasts. LP's and Superstrats are just too weird for me now.
    After playing my Warlock for three years, I can't get used to LP shapes; they feel awkward to me now.
    kodadak
    uh, les paul junior? P90? Leslie West anyone? Billie Joe Armstrong? c'mon man
    I said unnatural, not nonexistant, and nobody cares about Billie Joe Armstrong anymore.
    Camstrong
    EFGuitar
    ^uh, les paul junior? P90? Leslie West anyone? Billie Joe Armstrong? c'mon man.
    DaMetalMaverick
    guitarsftw
    EpiExplorer wrote: The **** is evilbay?
    I would guess a clever way of saying "ebay"
    RR3tran
    daheck1210
    Guitar Sushi : lildude_6859 wrote: you said that it has a licensed Floyd Rose trem, but then you said it was a copy and not a 'real' one...WHAT??? I'm guessing he meant by not the "real" as not the "original Floyd"
    Licensed by Floyd trems are ones that Floyd Rose says "Yes, you may use my design and I won't sure you for copyright infringemnet" but Original Floyd Roses are ones built by Floyd Rose that always work a lot better than the "Licensed By" trems
    Vabolo
    kodadak wrote: A BC Rich without some crazy body shape? What is this madness?
    Madness? THIS IS UGEEEEE!
    Guitar Sushi
    I'm guessing he meant by not the "real" as not the "original Floyd"
    lildude_6859
    CarvinDC127
    LOL of course you cant expect it to be the greatest guitar you ever played if it costs around $300 haha. Besides it has floyd!...
    EpiExplorer
    guitarsftw wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: The **** is evilbay? I would guess a clever way of saying "ebay"
    Oh how dry..
    Blackangel1384
    Actually string-through refers to a style of guitar where the strings actually are fixed right into the guitar itself, itty bitty holes where your trem. would normally be. I have both a Warlock and I just bought this ASM Standard, i got mine for 150 and i really like it, the coil tap is kinda cool, but i really need to figure out what the best gauge strings are to use with the floyd rose. I use 11's on my Warlock (yes drop tuning and standard) and they torqued the springs so much on the tremolo, i even loosened them as much as i could. just isn't happening. so i think 9's? something light... any suggestions? aside from that, nice guitar, great action, not sure about the pickups yet though... might just do the emg 81/85 swap (of course)