ASM Standard Review

manufacturer: B.C. Rich date: 09/08/2010 category: Electric Guitars
B.C. Rich: ASM Standard
In comparison to the BC Rich classic series this isn't in the same league but its a decent Superstrat, not the best by a long way but does the job and looks the part.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.5
 8,587
reviews (2) pictures (3) 21 comments vote for this gear:
ASM Standard Reviewed by: Smash-it-Pete, on may 07, 2010

Purchased from: evilbay

Features: This is a brand new Chinese made ASM Standard. Standard gloss black finish 24 frets Licensed Floyd Rose/locking nut 2 x Rockfield passive humbuckers Coil tap switch, 1 x volume, 1 x tone Superstrat style with pointy headstock BC Rich tuners Slim neck, flat radius with circle inlays w/black centres. Its a Superstrat. // 8

Sound: I don't have a specific style, been playing 20 years and in the early days always used Superstrats so I bought this on a bit of a nostalgia trip partly based on the price. Having said that the coil tap and the fact the Rockfield pickups have a good sound makes this a diverse guitar. I've put it through a Sound City Valve combo and a Marshall solid state up to yet, sounds good, does the Slayer thing well due to its darker tone. Surprisingly good clean tones too. It is'nt noisy in any way, distorted it has a slightly dark but warm tone, plenty of variety on sounds but the volume control is'nt very subtle- it goes from nothing to in your face. Based on price paid and the coil tap this scores high. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was'nt set-up in any way other than strung. Major issue; tremolo arm was too big to fit in the socket! I had to file it down a little to get it to go in. I repair guitars locally so it did'nt bother me too much in reflection to what I paid but still, it is unacceptable. I may have bought a b-stock duffer, I don't know? The pickups were fairly balanced and the guitar in general is reasonable good quality, light years better than the awful 'Class Axe' 80's BC models (that I've tried). My only complaint besides the tremolo arm being the wrong size is the Floyd Rose copy could have been one of the 'better' ones. don't get me wrong it does its job but I've played better, even on Squier's. Pity about the trem and arm, it would have scored higher otherwise. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I'd definitely gig it, everything seems solid but I'd always have a back up with any Floyd equipped guitar. // 7

Overall Impression: It suits my needs. Into a lot of old Thrash and Hardcore stuff, SOD, Bad Brains, etc. I wanted a Superstrat for fun and the nostalgic trip (playing 20 years), at 102 I can't complain but if I had paid the recommended RRP (280) I would be pissed off about the tremolo arm. I've had a lot of gear, kind of settled on Vintage Fenders (Jaguar, Mustang) but I've tried most. In comparison to the BC Rich classic series (I had a Bich model) this is'nt in the same league but its a decent Superstrat, not the best by a long way but does the job and looks the part. I'd buy another at that price I paid if it got lost or stolen. I like its looks and the diversity of the sounds, but more so its fun to play. Was browsing Superstrats for some time but liked the idea of a BC model because I liked what I've played in the past, plus they seem out of fashion lately so prices are good. No interest in Schecter or ESP, had loads of Ibanez so BC it was! As I said, it would have been nice to have had a better Floyd Rose on it but when you want to pay little these are the sacrifices you make! Despite the tremolo arm issue and based on price it scores high. // 8

ASM Standard Reviewed by: hobo slayr, on september 08, 2010

Purchased from: beatstreet music

Features: Made in China 2010. 24 jumbo frets and rosewood fingerboard, maple neck. Body is mahogany with quilted maple top. Bridge is a Floyd Rose special; Passive Rockfield Mafia Humbuckers; Volume control, Tone control w/ coil tap (makes humbuckers act like single coils) and 3-way pickup selector; Came with allen wrenches and a cable // 9

Sound: It should suit most peoples styles, great cleans, especially with the coil tap, and crunchy distortion great for metal. Its decent for classic rock type stuff. I use it to play stuff like Ozzy Osbourne and its awesome. Very versatile though. It can get a little noisy like all passive pickups on very high distortion or through a distortion pedal. The Floyd Rose (Not sure if its original or liscenced) is really good and can pull off some crazy sounds while staying in tune pretty well. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set up pretty well, but I switched the strings for some heavier ones and adjusting it took a long time. Even though the UPS guy dropped the box while delivering it to us, there were absolutely no flaws at all in the guitar. Unfortunately it is very easy to scratch the finish so make sure your hands aren't sweaty when using a screwdriver or allen wrench on it. But still great for being made in China. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It seems durable enough for gigging and should last a while. The strap buttons are bigger than usual, I think, so getting the strap on is a project. But at least it stays on. It's fairly heavy (about 10 lbs). But not too bad. The finish looks like it will stay on for a while. // 9

Overall Impression: Great match for hard rock music, decent for others. I've been playing a year and this is my second guitar, I play it through a Peavey Vypyr which is also quite versatile so I can get a lot of sound variations. I would probably get another if it broke. I like how it looks really good and kind of has "high end" pickups. Some professionals use them, which is not the same story as the other boring stock pickups in other guitars at this price. I compared it to some Ibanez RG's and Jackson JS's, but this one looked a little better, had a floyd rose, and was cheaper because of a sale. I kind of wish the fret inlays were different, but I'm not sure what they would be. // 9

Comments