Assassin PX3T review by B.C. Rich

B.C. Rich: Assassin PX3T

Price paid: € 611

Purchased from: Thomann.de

Well since I play mostly metal the Rockfield Mafias deliver great sound. Although I play through Roland Cube 60 which gives a smooth all-area distortion that is just perfect for my playing. So the pickups just boosted that effect (even though they are a little low-frequent) I minor disappointment was that changing the tones does not alter the sound much. But luckily I play mostly through the bridge pickup with distortion and change to neck pickup for leads. But in overal I can't complain about the guitar for the OFR gives the freedom to do all that Dimebag tremolo thing.

As a metal guitar this one is a sure thing. I'm going to buy a Jackson RR or KV this summer since I have now two Strat-style guitars. I've played 6 years I think and my other guitar is Yamaha Pacifica (a black Strat). I have few acoustic ones too but I haven't used them for a while. Before I bought this I compared it into few Ibanezes and ESP-LTDs but the Original Floyd Rose was the deciding factor. And after all my playing it is still the best feature in this guitar. If this was stolen or lost I doubt I would buy a new one, for I'm a trying soul and this one is then already tried.

I haven't played Live with this one yet but it has gone through rough practices with my band so I'd presume it will withstand Live playing pretty well. Strap buttons are very solid though I'm thinking about changing them to Schallers just to be sure. I could use it without a backup but I would still have to bring my other guitar with me because our songs are on two different tunings and OFR makes sure I can't change tuning fast enough.

The guitar was set up just find and the DiMarzio factory strings were quite good. I actually did not alter the action, Though when I changed the DR strings I had to change the bridges settings a bit but not too much. The action is pretty good now but I'm considering a little adjustment because after I changed a 12-set into my another guitar it's action had to be changed in order to play the guitar, I got used to play on that action so this one feels a bit clumsy now. Everything was set up well at the factory. The pickups have lost their chrome though.

I bought this in august 2007, but I think mine is the 2006 series. Made in Korea and a beautiful one! The neck-through has 24 jumbo frets with ebony fingerboard and a "Assassin" inlay on 10th-14th fret. Just awesome. But the best part is the Original Floyd Rose, which I think has become a Standard in BC Riches nowadays. The Strat style body (like in the picture) is also cool. Pickups are two Rockfield Mafia Humbuckers and look decent since they are similar-looking to the ones usually in Les Pauls. Controls suited me fine for there's 1 volume control, 1 tone knob a 3-way switch and a feature which splits the humbuckers as 2 single coils which give a suprisingly different sound on some aspects.

AssassinPX3T
    I saw this in the catologue and was like wow must have that guitar! ive already got a bc rich warlock I.T. which i see has no reviews . my friends and guitar tutor have played it and they think its amazing value for money with that sexy original floyd rose and revolver knobs!(not to mention the paint work and binding
    ofshotthefirst
    hey,i play alt/metal and some clean picking sorta thing, and ive been looking for a guitar with these features for ages... tried prs but cant afford any of the better models, ...would have like to try the Ibanez prestige S but too expensive ... i tried the schecter c-1 and found the neck width too narrow... whats the weight like ...how does this neck play in comparison anyone? should like to try this guitar but live in east england so getting places that stock them is a pain Anyone any ideas or comments, some advice would be nice. Emm ps probly sound like an idiot but hey why not
    Dax:
    mercilesssinner wrote: Can anyone tell me what type of finish is on the back of the neck?
    It would be the body finish - It's neck-thru.
    Fin-Guitarist95
    Does clean sounds sound good with this metal guitar? Im just thinking, can you play other music than metal with this guitar.
    Metal4Eternity
    What kind of metal was this thing made for? Like death metal...? Metallica like metal? Or what?
    whencowsfart101
    This guitar has the smoothest neck heel I've ever played, and the volume+tone knobs are SO COOL, but the so-called "Original Floyd" doesn't stay in tune and the fine-tuners are stiff and awkward. If they made one without a tremolo I'd get it.
    whencowsfart101
    skinar wrote: does anyone knows if it has a coil tap on the pickups? im considering buying one
    Yup it does.
    donthatefloyd
    It is kinda funny that noone said as far that guitar comes with ORIGINAL FLOYD ROSE for god sake and not licensed
    kalma5003
    whencowsfart101
    kalma5003 wrote: What did whencowsfart101 said? Original Floyd Rose doesn't stay in tune? What? Can it be fixed by changing the saddle? Probably, and it might just have been the one I tried out that was faulty. And sorry for my bad english...
    whencowsfart101
    Probably, and it might just have been the one I tried out that was faulty.
    kalma5003
    whencowsfart101 wrote: whencowsfart101 wrote: kalma5003 wrote: What did whencowsfart101 said? Original Floyd Rose doesn't stay in tune? What? Can it be fixed by changing the saddle? And sorry for my bad english... Probably, and it might just have been the one I tried out that was faulty.
    Okay. Thanks!
    mykillz
    Got one , love it , simply amazing sound , love everything about it , especially the sound is near perfection when playing metal & hardrock!