Avenge SOB review by B.C. Rich

B.C. Rich: Avenge SOB

I mostly play metal, and once in a while some cleanish guitar to accompany it. I also bought a Tonecore Uber Metal pedal to play around with. Without the pedal this guitar sounds pretty good, with the pedal it sounds amazing. Pure and simply amazing. Great tone. It's not that noisy (in comparison to my fathers Ibanez especially, which I played for a year or so before buying my own). The guitar is pretty basic but has a good Standard tone. If you play metal, you will love it.

I play metal, mostly. This guitar matches perfectly. I've been playing for about 1.5 or so years. If it was stolen/lost I would probably make a larger investment in something with a tremelo. I love the sound and action most. I only dislike that it only has one button and no tremelo (but it's not much of a qualm concidering it was only a little over 200).

I haven't played live but would like to one day. It should be able to withstand it. The guitar is great and I would depend on it easily. The strap buttons are a little odd, they are both on the back of the guitar and can be awkward for some (not so much for myself).

Let me start by saying, the action is amazing. It is one of the things that lured me to it once I started playing. The action at the 24th fret is just as amazing as at the first. My guitar had one problem with the 4th string (the tuner wouldn't turn). I took it back to guitar center and the guy had to pull out some special tool to adjust it. But, since it's fixed; it's like there never was an issue. The guitar also looks great. Solid black with some red outlining stripes. Not to mention the awesome red bat inlays on the neck, and the beast headstock.

First let me start by saying, if your interested in this guitar; read this entire review. I will give you an honest depiction of this guitar. I bought it at guitar center on July 4th at a very cheap price (this price includes the price of a 2 year insurance policy). This guitar was made in China. It has 24 and a half frets. This is about 10% smaller than the regular B.C. Rich beast guitars. The bridge is a Tune-O-Matic. It only has one button (a master volume). One B.C. Rich pickup. I'm not entirely the smartest person concidering this is my first guitar. I don't know much about specifics (brand names, etc.) However, I will say I tested this before I bought it and loved the sound (get more into that later). It includes a gig bag (allegedly, they were out and are going to call me when they get some in).

Billy Picken
    Shredder Guitar
    this thing looks pretty alright... but honestly, if you want a badass BC Rich guitar, go for the WMD Warbeast or a high end Mockingbird
    acdclivewire
    Don't buy it if you plan on sweep picking... Have you tried sweeping on the treble pickup? If you haven't, don't bother. If you just play rhythm, go ahead and buy it.
    Tanker Yanker
    I've been playing guitar since 1989 and I've always loved B.C.Rich. In the '90s I had a Virgin/Axe that was awesome but to get to the 22nd fret was a bich because of the huge block where the neck bolted on. This SOB at least allows easy access to the 24th fret. What I'm trying to say is that I love this guitar and this is coming from a man whose main axe is a $1000 USA made Fender Stratocaster. What does that tell you, this SOB is one bad MF'r
    GoingVinsane
    Billy Picken wrote: Man you cats are way to anal. He said in the review he has been playing about a 1.5 years and gave his opinions on the guitar. Get over it.[/quote] I agree as well. I also own this guitar and believe it to be good for its price. My dad has an old Fender strat that he plays constantly and even he said the Avenge SOB performs well. So I think people should give it a chance and it would suite a beginner just fine.
    Ulalume
    To say the least the picture here doesn't give this guitar any justice. Its to watered down with whites. Its a simply color scheme of black with dark red outlines. No white like you probably are seeing. And to say the least I never said this was a "perfect" guitar, at least not in comparison to alot of other guitars. However, I think its great for the price I paid. Exceptional actually. And too add, it tunes pretty well. Just a few days ago I got it to drop c and the strings still have good tension and sound great. I dont understand why people on here have a tendency to be stupid and judge a guitar based on its price range anyways. A high end expensive guitar can suck if the player doesn't know what he's doing. Likewise, this guitar in the lower price end sounds great with the right pedals (Hell, sounds pretty good without them; especially clean) and with the right technique.
    Phairen
    i agree one thousand percent
    SerpentineVIVIV
    I don't know if I can trust this, but I know that low end BC Rich's are usually crap. That said, I have a BC Rich Beast Platinum series, its practically a step above this and it plays great, so I guess this can be somewhat good for its price.
    GuitarPlayer716
    I'm not a huge fan of the shape, but it isn't too bad. My first guitar was a Bronze Warlock, and it was a decent beginner's guitar, but nothing special. This seems to be much of the same, but personally, I'd get a LTD in a similar price range, I think most people would be happier.
    CliffIsAngry
    xSacrilegex wrote: Slap an EMG in there problem solved. Stock pickups in MOST guitars suck.
    exactly! buy the guitar for the looks + - the wood, exchange the pups, you've just saved a bundle!
    XxPunkMafiaxX
    its not all that bad really...but if you want it to play really really well....sell it and buy a decent Jackson. alternatively, dont buy it in the first place and buy a Jackson straight off. or an ESP, but they tend to be quite pricey
    Jdfs1
    ok, i own this guitar and it is surprisingly a really good guitar for the price range, i have never had any problems with it, except the input jack gets loosened sometimes, and it can be pretty muddy if u have a lot of distortion, so all u have to do is turn the volume knob down and it cleans its self up a little, over all this is a good guitar, especially for a low end b.c. rich, which are usually crap
    PROG.RULES.
    If you look at the picture provided with this review, there is a bit of excess fretboard after the 24th fret. I'm thinking this was the reviewers reason to state that there is 24 and 1/2 frets. Also this is their first guitar, so I think that for a beginner reviewing a beginner guitar the outcome of the review is pretty obvious.
    led,rainsong
    didn't he say that he was new and expects us to actually believe anything he says there should be a rule about how long you have to own a guitar to actually review it or something because these kinds of reviews don't really help
    Demonikk
    Joeval wrote: I have to ask: 24 and a half frets?
    Was just gonna say... This review can;t be taken seriously, especially when he says it has great tone (through an Uber-Metal pedal??!!)
    Ulalume
    By no stretch is this guitar perfect, but its great for price. If anyones interested I can make mp3 clip of what this thing sounds like.
    saberrocks
    I wanted this one, but the guy from the guitar center told me that if I wanted a BCRich, I had to look for something better because this one was crap (according to him). So now I've got the Warlock and I've got no regrets at all.
    Phoenix-Kun
    ....anthing low-end by b.c. rich usually has cheap wood and bad tone, on teh plus side, necks are usually fast and they hold up alright
    Sharck
    Tried this out at guitar center, it was funny, I literally couldn't help but laughing, and its the same thing to the salespeople. It's basically a big joke to anyone who seriously plays.