Avenge SOB review by B.C. Rich

B.C. Rich: Avenge SOB

Price paid: C$ 250

Purchased from: Musicians friend

I play a lot of different music styles. Metal, Hard rock, Country rock, with a little shred. It goes well with the heavy stuff I play when I switched to Heavy top Skinny bottom Ernie Ball strings Mostly because I'm in drop tunings. This guitar isn't noisy at all and gives a Deep fulfilling sound (With the right amp). The sustain on this guitar is OKAY and is Up to Standard as far as I'm concerned.

This is a good match for the metal and generally heavy stuff I play, and if it were stolen I'd probably look into a more high end beast just because this one impressed me a lot. The Shape and glossy finish is what really caught my eye, I really love that the neck is so fast which is why I usually use it for gigs. When my hands start to perspire it still stays as fast and doesn't slow me down which is very useful. The bottom cutaway gives ultimate access to the 24th fret and that is probably my favourite thing about it since my Ibanez S470 only has 22 frets, so it gives a lot more opportunity.

Reliability for this guitar is substantial. I've owned this guitar for about a year now and I'm pretty sure this guitar will last many years more. The hardware seems like it will last, but the pointed ends will probably suffer since they are being constantly bumped into things. But that's just me. The strap buttons seem very solid, although they were placed in a position that makes the guitar unbalanced when standing. I use it at many gigs and hasn't let me down yet Although a few patch cords have Murdered a song or two...

The action from this guitar was set perfectly for me, fairly low and the humbucker was at the perfect height just enough to get the full rich sound of this guitar. The only flaws I've experienced with this guitar is the stuck tuner for the G-string and a touch of fret buzz. But as I was getting the fret buzz taken care of; the guy at Axe Music Edmonton fixed the stuck tuner as well (Thanks Axe =)

This guitar has 24 jumbo frets and a 25.5"scale (I think.) The neck is made of Maple with a Rosewood fingerboard. I'm pretty sure the body is made of basswood. It is painted glossy with a nice black finish and bright red bevels that are sure to stun! The body style is the beast but 1/10 smaller and is very comfortable. With a tune-o-matic bridge, one volume knob, and Bcrich stock pickups I'm surprised at the sound this gives, very crunchy and deep. Towards the end of the body the headstock matches the body's finish, has Bcrich diecast tuners which are okay. Beware: Watch yourself with this guitar, the points chip pretty easily.

JohnathenDavis
    I ordered this guitar from musicians friend in january of 2008 for $249 American. I originally got it becuase it looked cool. Luckilly it turned out to be more than just a looker. The standard BC Rich factory pickup is pretty frigon sweet, but I think I will eventually replace it with an EMG 81, a Bill Lawrence L500R, or a Seymour Duncan Invader. I would also like to install a push/ pull taper. I have already slapped on some Dunlop Zakk Wylde icon strings, are so heavy gave me a bit of a bow, still great strings. The neck is slim and allows easy sliding around and shreding. Most metallic solos i've written took plays on this guitar. One downside is I hav yet to find a case that properly fits it, so I'm unprotected as of now. Anotherthing is if you don't hold it when sitting like it's a v you will probably stab yourself. Also, there is just one pup, one volume, and no tone. You'll get more treble this way but sometimes you will need a bass sound. This guitar was built for metal, not rock, not punk, but metal. So I give this guitar 9/10.
    BcRichRocker1
    I really like this guitar, especially for 250-300 dollars id give it somewhere between an 8 and 9 outa 10, but thats only cuz its worth the price. the damn thing chips like crazy tho, i used like 2 things of black nail polish on this thing in total, but either way it sounds pretty good and is definitally worth 300 dollars
    Ninja#117
    Did people really pay 200-300 dollars for this? I bitched my brother out for paying 165 for his. It's a single humbucking pickup guitar wit just a volume and no tone knob. if i pay 300 for a new guitfiddle it better have more options . Then idiots come on UG boards and people give if 8's and 9's on review? I own and mid-lvl epiphone and believe me its better.
    Mr. MetalMan
    I bought mine about a year ago, and I still love it. Even on a crappy amp it still sounds pretty good I dont know why everyone is complaining about the chipping though. Mine only has a little tiny one on the head. other than that its fine. In all, I love this guitar, it sounds amazing and it just looks...insane
    dragonmasterste
    i want to get this guitar because its within my budget, i cant get anything over $300 u.s., but i want to know how this guitar handles a clean tone because i want a guitar that can handle any kind of tone at least decently. so if someone can help me out i would really appretiate it.
    Metal-McTwist
    I've had one of these for a while... It is really nice for the price... the one pickup really pisses me off sometimes, though.
    Troy94
    I love it, I've had mine for about a year now and it hasn't let me down at all, plus I can easily adjust anything neck adjustment, action, you name it, it's extremely manageable /m\(*.*)/m\
    JasonDok
    Bought From http://www.waltersmusic.com/Walters_Musi... l Overall Rating: 9/10 When playing metal BC rich will always come to my mind.. the BDSM pickups sound amazing the only real flaw with the guitar was honestly the fact that the strap pegs are on the back of the guitar meaning if you decide to bitchwhip it you're taking one to the hip.. Any changes to the guitar i would have made would have been just put the strap pegs somewhere else.. none the less it's good as it is, an eye catcher and a powerful guitar, Sound Quality: 9 One pickup is enough for this guitar, if you want the simulation of a bass pickup just use overdrive, crank the bass and drop the treble, it's not hard to simulate. Durability: I'm not so sure about that.. I don't necessarily want to test it as it's so light and feels like nothing in my hands.. In all, Im 100% satisfied with it.. it's exactly what i wanted.