Avenge SOB review by B.C. Rich

B.C. Rich: Avenge SOB

Purchased from: used - craigslist local

This think has a nice bite to it. I can tell for people who like clean playing sound they probably would rather get something different, but I like the bite and angry pitch of the guitar that sounds very METAL to me. I use it with a Line 6 Spider III 15 watt which was my started amp but still works good and has enough tone/sound for me in my little apartment. Sound is very bright and sharp for me, basically it is a metal guitar.

I play anything metal, other calmer things like Blink-182, Green Day, some pop type stuff, whatever I feel like. I have been playing for almost 4 years now. I also own an Epiphone SG G400, Ibanex RG350DX, and a Fender Squier MB4 Skull Bass. I have seen this guitar many times at the shop and always wanted one simply because it looks crazy cool! One night just having been at the local Guitar Center saw a new one and a used one and grabbed it to mess with and loved the feel. While yes everyone at the store says stay away from BC Rich that they go out of tune and aren't very good guitars but they only look cool, I still decided to buy one just to say I got one as it looks awesome! I love the bodystyle and the look of it and the red bat inlays looks awesome like my sharktooth inlays on my Ibanez. I just hate that I know I will have to baby it to watch out for the corners getting broken or banged and chipped. If it were lost or stolen I would just buy something else that looked cool like this. I compared it only briefly at Guitar Center as they were about to close and was looking at the Epiphone SG G400 which looks pretty cool too, also the Dave Mustaine Dean V guitar. I wanted something that looked cool and this one certainly does. I wish it had 2 humbuckers for added tone and also tone knobs, it lacks in the features department by far as basically every other guitar out there has at least 1 tone knob and often at least 2 pickups. that's the only regret is the lack of features but for what I play its fine for me I'm not that picky and can always adjust the amp.

I would assume this would handle well playing live, I am not in a band and cannot play live but play casually at home in my guest bedroom where I setup all my guitar stuff. Hardware appeas like it would last. I am weary the tuners will always stay in tune, I also have an Ibanez RG350DX and has the locking nut setup and I like that and have had the same strings/setup for over 2 years now and the guitar has never gone ouit of tune or needed other aadjustments, so I think locking nut is great but makes it harder to tune when needed to do so quickly or to drop D. Strap buttons are solid and tight, I had a pain of a time trying to pull my strap off and then try to flip it the other direction. The guitar would look awesome during a gig but would probably not last very well or take a beating due to the pointy headstock and pointy body edges.

Action is fine for me at this time, I may try different adjustments to see if I like it better lower than I received it. Pickup height seems fine at this time, it registers fine, tho I did have to turn the volume knob all the way up to get high sound. I am not good when it comes to adjusting truss rod to tell if that is needed or not, but the neck appears straight to me. Frets appear well filed and smooth, no flaws in the finish of the guitar, wood looks smoothe on the neck and great, no rust or oxidization at this time, tuning pegs were out of tune when I got it but appear to be holding strong and not goign out of tune.

Mine was made in 2007 in China, 24 frets, smooth neck, nice painted body with red tips, wicked looks, red bad wing inlays, tune-o-matic bridge, all black hardware, non locking tuners, only 1 stock humbucker pickup and 1 volume knob. As I bought it used off craigslist from a local it only ended up coming with a matching red/black Demon type strap and no accessories or gig bag. Looks wise this thing gets a 10, but 1 knob and 1 pickup is what gives it a lower score for features wise.