Avenge SOB Review

manufacturer: B.C. Rich date: 12/21/2013 category: Electric Guitars
B.C. Rich: Avenge SOB
At 10% smaller than his cousin the Beast, this SOB is designed to rock! This SOB features rosewood fingerboad, red edged Beast style headstock, a single high output humbucker pickup with a single volume, bolt on neck, black hardware, blood red bevels and beast wing inlay!
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
reviews (6) pictures (1) 58 comments vote for this gear:
Avenge SOB Reviewed by: IbanezRGS, on april 20, 2009

Price paid: C$ 250

Purchased from: Musicians friend

Features: This guitar has 24 jumbo frets and a 25.5"scale (I think.) The neck is made of Maple with a Rosewood fingerboard. I'm pretty sure the body is made of basswood. It is painted glossy with a nice black finish and bright red bevels that are sure to stun! The body style is the beast but 1/10 smaller and is very comfortable. With a tune-o-matic bridge, one volume knob, and Bcrich stock pickups I'm surprised at the sound this gives, very crunchy and deep. Towards the end of the body the headstock matches the body's finish, has Bcrich diecast tuners which are okay. Beware: Watch yourself with this guitar, the points chip pretty easily. // 9

Sound: I play a lot of different music styles. Metal, Hard rock, Country rock, with a little shred. It goes well with the heavy stuff I play when I switched to Heavy top Skinny bottom Ernie Ball strings Mostly because I'm in drop tunings. This guitar isn't noisy at all and gives a Deep fulfilling sound (With the right amp). The sustain on this guitar is OKAY and is Up to Standard as far as I'm concerned. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action from this guitar was set perfectly for me, fairly low and the humbucker was at the perfect height just enough to get the full rich sound of this guitar. The only flaws I've experienced with this guitar is the stuck tuner for the G-string and a touch of fret buzz. But as I was getting the fret buzz taken care of; the guy at Axe Music Edmonton fixed the stuck tuner as well (Thanks Axe =) // 8

Reliability & Durability: Reliability for this guitar is substantial. I've owned this guitar for about a year now and I'm pretty sure this guitar will last many years more. The hardware seems like it will last, but the pointed ends will probably suffer since they are being constantly bumped into things. But that's just me. The strap buttons seem very solid, although they were placed in a position that makes the guitar unbalanced when standing. I use it at many gigs and hasn't let me down yet Although a few patch cords have Murdered a song or two... // 8

Overall Impression: This is a good match for the metal and generally heavy stuff I play, and if it were stolen I'd probably look into a more high end beast just because this one impressed me a lot. The Shape and glossy finish is what really caught my eye, I really love that the neck is so fast which is why I usually use it for gigs. When my hands start to perspire it still stays as fast and doesn't slow me down which is very useful. The bottom cutaway gives ultimate access to the 24th fret and that is probably my favourite thing about it since my Ibanez S470 only has 22 frets, so it gives a lot more opportunity. // 9

Avenge SOB Reviewed by: Ulalume, on july 10, 2008

Features: First let me start by saying, if your interested in this guitar; read this entire review. I will give you an honest depiction of this guitar. I bought it at guitar center on July 4th at a very cheap price (this price includes the price of a 2 year insurance policy). This guitar was made in China. It has 24 and a half frets. This is about 10% smaller than the regular B.C. Rich beast guitars. The bridge is a Tune-O-Matic. It only has one button (a master volume). One B.C. Rich pickup. I'm not entirely the smartest person concidering this is my first guitar. I don't know much about specifics (brand names, etc.) However, I will say I tested this before I bought it and loved the sound (get more into that later). It includes a gig bag (allegedly, they were out and are going to call me when they get some in). // 7

Sound: I mostly play metal, and once in a while some cleanish guitar to accompany it. I also bought a Tonecore Uber Metal pedal to play around with. Without the pedal this guitar sounds pretty good, with the pedal it sounds amazing. Pure and simply amazing. Great tone. It's not that noisy (in comparison to my fathers Ibanez especially, which I played for a year or so before buying my own). The guitar is pretty basic but has a good Standard tone. If you play metal, you will love it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Let me start by saying, the action is amazing. It is one of the things that lured me to it once I started playing. The action at the 24th fret is just as amazing as at the first. My guitar had one problem with the 4th string (the tuner wouldn't turn). I took it back to guitar center and the guy had to pull out some special tool to adjust it. But, since it's fixed; it's like there never was an issue. The guitar also looks great. Solid black with some red outlining stripes. Not to mention the awesome red bat inlays on the neck, and the beast headstock. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played live but would like to one day. It should be able to withstand it. The guitar is great and I would depend on it easily. The strap buttons are a little odd, they are both on the back of the guitar and can be awkward for some (not so much for myself). // 9

Overall Impression: I play metal, mostly. This guitar matches perfectly. I've been playing for about 1.5 or so years. If it was stolen/lost I would probably make a larger investment in something with a tremelo. I love the sound and action most. I only dislike that it only has one button and no tremelo (but it's not much of a qualm concidering it was only a little over 200). // 9

Avenge SOB Reviewed by: UHATEIT, on december 02, 2011

Purchased from: used - craigslist local

Features: Mine was made in 2007 in China, 24 frets, smooth neck, nice painted body with red tips, wicked looks, red bad wing inlays, tune-o-matic bridge, all black hardware, non locking tuners, only 1 stock humbucker pickup and 1 volume knob. As I bought it used off craigslist from a local it only ended up coming with a matching red/black Demon type strap and no accessories or gig bag. Looks wise this thing gets a 10, but 1 knob and 1 pickup is what gives it a lower score for features wise. // 8

Sound: This think has a nice bite to it. I can tell for people who like clean playing sound they probably would rather get something different, but I like the bite and angry pitch of the guitar that sounds very METAL to me. I use it with a Line 6 Spider III 15 watt which was my started amp but still works good and has enough tone/sound for me in my little apartment. Sound is very bright and sharp for me, basically it is a metal guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Action is fine for me at this time, I may try different adjustments to see if I like it better lower than I received it. Pickup height seems fine at this time, it registers fine, tho I did have to turn the volume knob all the way up to get high sound. I am not good when it comes to adjusting truss rod to tell if that is needed or not, but the neck appears straight to me. Frets appear well filed and smooth, no flaws in the finish of the guitar, wood looks smoothe on the neck and great, no rust or oxidization at this time, tuning pegs were out of tune when I got it but appear to be holding strong and not goign out of tune. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would assume this would handle well playing live, I am not in a band and cannot play live but play casually at home in my guest bedroom where I setup all my guitar stuff. Hardware appeas like it would last. I am weary the tuners will always stay in tune, I also have an Ibanez RG350DX and has the locking nut setup and I like that and have had the same strings/setup for over 2 years now and the guitar has never gone ouit of tune or needed other aadjustments, so I think locking nut is great but makes it harder to tune when needed to do so quickly or to drop D. Strap buttons are solid and tight, I had a pain of a time trying to pull my strap off and then try to flip it the other direction. The guitar would look awesome during a gig but would probably not last very well or take a beating due to the pointy headstock and pointy body edges. // 8

Overall Impression: I play anything metal, other calmer things like Blink-182, Green Day, some pop type stuff, whatever I feel like. I have been playing for almost 4 years now. I also own an Epiphone SG G400, Ibanex RG350DX, and a Fender Squier MB4 Skull Bass. I have seen this guitar many times at the shop and always wanted one simply because it looks crazy cool! One night just having been at the local Guitar Center saw a new one and a used one and grabbed it to mess with and loved the feel. While yes everyone at the store says stay away from BC Rich that they go out of tune and aren't very good guitars but they only look cool, I still decided to buy one just to say I got one as it looks awesome! I love the bodystyle and the look of it and the red bat inlays looks awesome like my sharktooth inlays on my Ibanez. I just hate that I know I will have to baby it to watch out for the corners getting broken or banged and chipped. If it were lost or stolen I would just buy something else that looked cool like this. I compared it only briefly at Guitar Center as they were about to close and was looking at the Epiphone SG G400 which looks pretty cool too, also the Dave Mustaine Dean V guitar. I wanted something that looked cool and this one certainly does. I wish it had 2 humbuckers for added tone and also tone knobs, it lacks in the features department by far as basically every other guitar out there has at least 1 tone knob and often at least 2 pickups. that's the only regret is the lack of features but for what I play its fine for me I'm not that picky and can always adjust the amp. // 9

Avenge SOB Reviewed by: otopsy, on december 16, 2008

Purchased from: musicians friend

Features: My guitar was made in china in 2007 "ugh" It has 24 frets with a red beast inlay on a mahogany neck with a solid top mahogany body. It has a gloss finish. The body is a cutaway/thinline. with a tuneomatic bridge. It has active electronics. It only has 1 volume knob added to seperate for dimebucker pickups I added later. Stock pickups were 1 bc rich humbucker. It had nonlocking bc rich tuners // 7

Sound: this guitar fits my music style perfectly. I play metal and I love this guitar. I use a 120 w beghringer v-amp with compresser and delay as default effects and I love how it sounds. It's never buzzed or anything even with stock pickups on it. Definitly need lots of effects though // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I never adjusted the action it was perfect. Pickup(stock) was way to low needed to higher it until dimebuckers came. Top and bridge were fine nothin wrong with them. Although the red lining around the headstock was of a was gonna have it done in a transparent red any way so watch out for that. No other flaws what'soever except make sure your volume knob bolt is twisted on all the way. // 6

Reliability & Durability: this guitar withstands liveplaying very well never ever goes out of tune. Never replaced anything but the strings. (not because they broke just needed new ones.) It is a very dependable guitar wouldn't trade it for the world. I have a backup Schecter omen, but it's mostly just for other tunings quick. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal and if you need a guitar quick that can be reliable definitaly purchase this guitar. I'v been playing since I was 8 and I'm now 16 so 8 years. everything I own of guitars I payed for. I own a Behringer V amp and a line-6 POD Live. when I play Live I use my friends Marshall half stack. If it were stolen I would be upset but I would not buy it again because I put a lot of money and work into it and wouldn't be the same. I chose this guitar because I needed a new one because my other one got trashed. I didn't put much thought into buying but I'm glad I bought it. // 7

Avenge SOB Reviewed by: robinv1987, on february 16, 2009

Price paid: € 265

Purchased from: Feedback Utrecht

Features: This is a guitar made in China, it has 24 frets and the perfect thing about the body is that you acualy can play the highest frets, the cutaway from te body doesn't constrict you to shred the highest frets. the fingerboard is made of rosewood and I can tell you it feels perfect! The body is smashing! the looks of this guitar is very pointy and great! I prefer this one over the Beast model of BC Rich because this is about 10% smaller! The pickups are great! It's a great sound for metal and hard rock, it just rocks! // 9

Sound: My style is Hard Rock/Metal with this guitar, and I can tell you I will probably never buy an other metal guitar then a BC Rich, before I tried this guitar I was really sceptic about BC Rich, but I will never be sceptic about it again! Before I bought this guitar I've tried Deans but then this guitar, it blew my brains out! I was totally in love with this guitar! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: My guitarstore Feedback set this guitar to the best thing you could wish this guitar could be! So I can't say anymore. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I think this is a great guitar for Live gigs, I don't think that it would give to much troubles. But I can't really say that because I've just bought the guitar 3 days ago. // 8

Overall Impression: overall this guitar is a great one! especially for the price! // 10

Avenge SOB Reviewed by: BCRichSOBA7X, on december 21, 2013

Purchased from: Google Shop

Features: - Made in China - 24 Jumbo 12" neck - Beveled Top - Neck Wood: Maple Body Wood: Nato - Finish: Black with Red Bindings - Body Style: Other - Bridge Style: Tune-O-Matic - Pick-Up: B.C. Rich B.S.D.M. - Tuner: B.C. Rich Die Cast - Inlays: Red Bat Wing (I think it looks like a full bat) - Control: 1 volume knob - Neck Construction: Bolt-On - Nut Width-43mm // 6

Sound: I mainly play Metal Music. This suits my style of playing better than any other guitar. I have it plugged into a 30 watt Crate amp with built in distortion. Using a stock pick-up the sound is above average, but not perfect. The noise level is quite loud unless I turn it off of distortion or turn the volume level down on the guitar. It has a bright tone but it could be much better. The Lows are fantastic, and the same can be said about the highs. I don't play with much Mid. Setting but it does add a nice tone to it. Harmonics Artificial/Natural are a breeze with this. Although not perfect it is good for it's price. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've had this guitar for over a year. I don't have a case (All the ones I've looked at won't fit the body style.), so painful to her and I, I've slammed her on multiple items. In the year of abuse I've put this instrument through she has only a couple of dings and none of the hardware has been affected. I would play with this guitar live and I'm sure it will withstand live shows for years. I would take this to a gig without a back up. How ever it would be nice to have multiple guitars due to songs with different tunings. The finish is pretty smooth. The clear coat scratches fairly easily so you will see some pick marks. However the actual paint doesn't come off that easy. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is a perfect match with the style that I play. I've been playing for two years and this was my first guitar. While she's not perfect I do love her like a child. If she was stolen, lost, or (I hate to even think of it) destroyed, I would probably save up for another guitar altogether. I love the tone that I can get using distortion. I don't as much love the excessive pick up noise, or just the oversensitivity of it in general. I would like to see this model with maybe some EMGs, with a 3 way switch. That would brighten up the tone so much more. Especially if they added an Ebony finger board. (Hint Hint B.C. Rich). // 7

Comments