Bronze Mockingbird review by B.C. Rich

B.C. Rich: Bronze Mockingbird

Purchased from: Local music store

The Mockingbird give a nice thick sound and provides all the crunch that you could hope for. I have actually been surprised at the range of tones that it can produce. It is alot more versatile than its 'very metal' looks would suggest. That said, rock music is where the guitars heart is. I play rock with a heavy blues influence and the rich, fat sound suits me down to the ground.

If I hadn't have been living in Hungary, where the choice of consumer goods leaves something to be desired, I would probably not bought this guitar on the grounds that it looks a little bit too 'Spinal Tap' for my taste. That said, for the price, it was by far the best finished and best sounding guitar in town, so I went for it. After takig it home and comforting myself with the fact that KISS are older than me and stil get away with playing guitars like this one, I dug out my old Spandex pants and got stuck into playing it. Really, for the money, this is a great guitar and I think that you would be hard pressed to find a better quality instrument at the price. I was originally looking at an OLP MM1 guitar for considerably more cash (stuff like this can be expensive in Hunagry) but found that the finish was nowhere near as good as the Mockingbird. Would I buy it again if it was stolen? Well, my insurance company think I've got a Paul Reed Smith, so perhaps not.

I've not had this guitar for long, so I'm not best placed to say too much here. I think that the guitar would withstand live playing, although I haven't tried it yet. The hardware seems to be well made, and everything has a good solid feel to it. The strap buttons are those chunky oversize affairs. They make puttin a new strap on the guitar a bit tricky, but once on, there's no way that it's going to be falling off. As far as playing a gig without a backup, always take a backup. It doesn't matter what guitar you have. If you have a spare, take it with you!

All told the finish is good with a nice smooth neck and well finished frets (something that is not always present on guitars in this price range. I needed to do some twiddling when it first came out of the box, just to get the action down a little on the treble side. There was also a bit of a buzz on the lower frets of the low e string, but nothing out of the ordinary. I would suggest that it is more the responsibility of the retailer to complete the setup that it is the manufacturer. After all, how well would you play straight after getting off a slow boat from China?

The guitar was made in China (no idea when). It has 24 nice, fat frets on a rosewood fingerboard. This sits on a maple neck. The body is made of some wood or other that I'm not familliar with. You would need to see their web site. Suffice to say that it's not balsa. The two humbucking pickups are controled by a single volume pot, a tone pot and a Les Paul stye 3 way selector Switch. The other end of the beast sports 6 sealed case tuners which are stamped up a BC Rich and seem to do the job just fine.

Blackskall
    KaiserX
    the guitar is decent for beginners. i get dead frets all over the place with it. I've already smashed it though, there were 4 dead frets and i dont really care since it's a cheap guitar too.
    supersolus666
    to the guys who think this guitar looks kinda dumb i used to think that too but i dont know what happened i really like the shape of the body it looks amazing to me now and to TK'65, if you dont like bc riches why are you on this review page?
    lewblew
    im not the worlds biggest heavy metal fan but i still think th b.c rich mocking bird is a ace guitar its not over the top lyk some others and the sound you can get from them are awsome ....not dumb as others lyk to call them
    Korzack
    the mockinbgbird comes across to like BC Rich trying to do a Les Paul copy in a different way. Managed to get hold of 1 of these once-Nice tone out of it, very much rock & metal, although it's worth waiting for a slightly mroe upmarket model. Besides, you can always change the pickups once you buy the thing.
    cheese_weasel
    My first guitar, love it to bits. Plays fantasically and sounds really nice. Good reviews.
    The Eyebrow
    yea, i'm a fan of the crazy shaped metal guitars, but thought the mockingbird was too tame. I got a bronze series warlock instead. don't get me wrong, the 'bird is a good entry level guitar, it's just i didn't like the shape as much as other B.C.rich guitars.
    Vanilla Custard
    Blackskall wrote: I'm a big fan of B.C. Rich guitars, but this is the one guitar of B.C. Rich that I'm not really fond of...looks kind of dumb
    yes my favorite B.C rich is the beast
    chaosmaker1491
    i personally love the B.C rich guitars i own the bronze series warlock and it sounds awsome...but the mockingbird looks a little dumb but i bet it plays great..idk i would rather own a another warlock or beast
    GEARS_OF_DETH
    well i not a fan of bc riches cause i think there not the greatest and some of the guitars are annoying as **** but i must say some of there modles are really nice but the rest i just hate
    Eric 666
    dude i say that to everyone, i'm a huge B.C Rich fan and the mockingbird just looks gay to me, i had a 91 "Class Axe" Warlock and i would prefer it anyday...i wish i wouldnt have sold it.