Bronze Mockingbird review by B.C. Rich

B.C. Rich: Bronze Mockingbird

I mostly play metal/rock and this guitar does well for it, but it tends to have a muddy sound so I could imagine that it would not be well suited to some other genres. I play it through my Line 6 Spider III 15 amp and it takes fairly well to distortion, but can sometimes sound too muddled. When played clean, the high end tones are great but the low end seems a bit lackluster (though this is probably due to the fact that by brother loves showing me up with his DK2 Dinky on a Spider III 75). I find that there's a lot of buzzing on the first few frets of the 5th and 6th strings, but that is most likely from the adjustments I've made to the bridge.

As I mentioned before, this guitar sounds great playing Metallica and Megadeth, but is not suited to the likes of Baroque. I've only been playing for about half a year, but I've had a lot of exposure to different gear (since my brother has played guitar for several years and his band comes over to play often) and I can honestly say that this guitar is great for starters or intermediate players. it's best feature is the action, and I laughed at my friend for spending 200+ dollars on his Ibanez G10 when mine only cost me 100 dollars and has a superior action and finish.

Although I can't tell you how the guitar looked fresh out of the factory (since I got mine used), I can tell you that it will stand up reasonably well with age. Although there were a few minor dings/chips on mine, the finish looks pretty solid. I doubt that I'll be putting any more chips into it, and what is there was probably the result of it getting dropped or banged. The strap buttons look pretty solid, though I mostly play sitting down anyway so I don't use them all that much. This is not really a gig quality guitar, being a "bronze series" and all, but would make a fine backup for most players.

The action on this guitar is superb, it exceeded my expectations and was a large part of the reason that I bought it. The nut is plastic, and although it seems durable enough it is beginning to wear away so the strings sit lower and lower into the fretboard. The bridge is a bit of a pain, the first time I took it apart to clean/adjust it the tension adjustment screws all misaligned themselves and it took me several minutes to get them back in place. All in all it is somewhat of a hassle since the set screws for the tension adjustment face the inside of the body, towards the pickup and make any minor adjustments impossible without removing the entire bridge thus unstringing the guitar.

Pretty Standard fare; agathis body, bolt-on maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, 24 jumbo frets, one-piece adjustable (fixed) bridge, single volume knob. Mine has only one pickup (humbucker). Not sure when or where it was made, but most likely in Korea or China.

Dalton_Dukes
    hey a cheap mb is nice if you set it up right. most saddles are factory set the wrong way, which tear your strings. personally my STANDARD mb has great tone, and is one hell of a metal guitar
    nathraq
    i love my bronze series. Not bad at all. Most low end guitars are made of agathis nowadays, but that doesn't make that much of a difference in sound. This guitar is great for beginners-intermediates, very durable, and works well with distortion.