Bronze Mockingbird Review

manufacturer: B.C. Rich date: 07/25/2011 category: Electric Guitars
B.C. Rich: Bronze Mockingbird
This affordable Mockingbird features an agathis body, dual humbuckers, all chrome hardware, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, and the popular Mockingbird body design that takes center stage as soon as you strap it on.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.9
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.8
 Features: 7.8
 7.4
 6.7
 6,381
reviews (8) pictures (2) 45 comments vote for this gear:
Bronze Mockingbird Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 15, 2005

Features: The features on this guitar are standard. 24 regular frets, 3-way pickup selector. It doesn't have a whammy, so it's a fixed bridge. Nice finish that doesn't chip easily, I've had mine for a year and it doesn't have any paint missing. And is still in perfect working condition. // 8

Sound: I play mainly metal and it fits awesome with metal. I've heard many people say that BC Rich doesn't deliver good sound especially on the cheaper series like the Bronze, but this guitar gets great sound through my 30 watt Crate and other amps. And my Zoom 606 pedal. Not much feedback at all because of the dual humbuckers. Also plays very nice on clean. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I've adjusted nothing right away on this guitar. It came in a perfect setup. Except after about 6 months I had to readjust the bridge because of personal choice. No flaws whatsoever, came out of the box perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand live playing without a doubt. I use it in my band all the time and its never let me down and I doubt it ever will. The strap buttons are nice and solid so it wont randomly fall off. I wouldn't use it at a gig without a backup because thats just not wise, but id be very confident in it lasting me throughout the gig. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said before I play mainly metal and have been playing for about a year and a half. I also own a Fender DG-11E acoustic/electric and am getting a Jackson JS30 Kelly today, also have a Behringer V-Ampire LX 112 amp and a 30 and 15 watt Crate, and my Zoom pedal. If this were stolen I might buy it again, but I would probably save up and buy the Pro series Mockingbird, or the Nj series, but I would be pretty upset since I absolutely love this guitar. I love the shape, the feel sitting down and standing up, it just all around, looks, feels, and sounds great. If you buy this guitar get ready for years of happiness with it. // 10

Bronze Mockingbird Reviewed by: guitarAce372, on may 28, 2007

Purchased from: Sam Goody

Features: This guitar came with everything a beginner would need. The guitar, practice amp, strap, gig bag, cable, and picks. It fits a beginner well with a nice sized neck. It has 24 frets. The shape makes it easy for someone new to guitar to rest it on their lap or carry it. It has only one humbucker pickup. The only knob on it is a volume control. It has no whammy bar. So again, this is only the stuff a beginner would need. The features would not impress anyone who has been playing for over a year. It has a nice, durable finish though. // 7

Sound: The sound is actually pretty good for a guitar of this price. It sounds pretty nice on clean, but don't expect it to sound too rich and tangy like a tele. The overdrive is basically what this guitar is made for, so if you are a beginner that likes metal, you may want to consider buying this guitar. If you like random effects, a Line Six goes well with this guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I received this guitar in almost perfect condition. After about two months of playing, the nut at the input came loose, and I had to fix it and super glue it. Then, a year and two months after playing, it came loose with a bigger problem. The solder in the inside came undone. I have yet to fix it, and I will need to take it to get repaired. If you do not want to go through the hassle of this, you may not want this guitar. That was about the only problem I have had with this. Everything else works completely fine. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Other than the problems I mentioned earlier, I could rely on this guitar for a while. I am predicting that the problems will get worse, but the finish and strap buttons are fine. If you are playing Live, and you have inspected it for problems, you will be fine, but be careful. // 7

Overall Impression: If you are a beginner who is into metal with a small budget that can fix things, get this guitar. If not, than I would go with an ESP, Jackson, or Schecter. I wish it would come with more features, however for the price, it doesn't deserve them. If this were stolen, I would definitely go with another guitar. This will last you about a year and a half, so if you want something really durable, do not go with this. // 7

Bronze Mockingbird Reviewed by: blackguitars, on march 04, 2009

Purchased from: Flash Back Guitars

Features: I have no idea what year it was made but I do know that it was made in indonesisa. It has 24 frets and a thin neck. It si a solid-top. The body is made of maple and so is the neck. The finish is great, it's smooth and black. I have no idea wht style the body is but it is cool shaped. A whammy bridge that is silver. 2 humbucker pick ups, 1 lead/rhythm Switch, 1 volume, and 1 tone. The tuners on the head are silver and non-locking. // 10

Sound: It fit's my music style well.(rock, metal, etc... ) I use a cry baby footswitch and a Fender amp with it. It can be noisy but a good noise. When both volume and tone are on ten it sounds rich and full. It can make a good variety like pick squeals, pick slides and much more. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I would say it was set up at the factory well because the action was low. The pick ups i would say are in just the right spot. There is a prperly bookmatched top, with a properly routed bridge. My guitar did not contain any flaws. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar could withstand Live playing for hours. The harware is in perfect shape and does seem like it will last. The strap buttons are very solid and hold the strap great. I could depend on it for as long as needed. I could probably go to a gig without a backup. The finish lools like it could last for years. // 10

Overall Impression: I play Metal, country, and rock and it fit's well with all of those. I have been playing for about 2 years. I own another guitar, a wah-wah pedal, and a Fender amp. There is nothing I could have before I bought it. I would probably get a new one. I love the fact that it is black. // 10

Bronze Mockingbird Reviewed by: bcrichmbird, on january 23, 2006

Purchased from: East Coast Music

Features: This guitar was ade in the USA. It has jumbo frets (24) which is good as more and more songs are using notes that high (Joe Satriani). It has a black gloss finish which means that all minor scratches are very noticeable. Standard BC Rich humbucker pickups. 3-way selector single tone and volume. // 6

Sound: The sound is great for playing nu-metal (Slipknot) but also sort of Metallica styled thrash metal as well. It has a very muddy sound to it which can be bad for playing lighter stuff. I currently use a Marshall amp at the moment which I feel isn't the greatest combo as I don't get the sound I always want. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish is overall pretty good except the input part fell out whilst playing at a gig because the screws weren't strong enough to withstand the occasional tug if I moved too far away from my amp. The tuning pegs and bridge etc. was all in perfect form when purchased. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I suggest purchasing a backup guitar if using this at a gig as the wiring can be slightly faulty if too much pressure is put on it which isn't much. One other fault with this guitar is that dust gets into the pickups very easily and ruins the sound. // 6

Overall Impression: I like to play a bit of everything which this guitar does not suit as it should mainly be played as metal only. Drop tunings suit this guitar very well so it is great for the newer more modern metal. If this guitar was stolen/lost I would not buy it again. I would much rather get a more reliable Ibanez or Epiphone for example. I wish it came with better pickups. // 7

Bronze Mockingbird Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 13, 2006

Purchased from: Local music store

Features: The guitar was made in China (no idea when). It has 24 nice, fat frets on a rosewood fingerboard. This sits on a maple neck. The body is made of some wood or other that I'm not familliar with. You would need to see their web site. Suffice to say that it's not balsa. The two humbucking pickups are controled by a single volume pot, a tone pot and a Les Paul stye 3 way selector Switch. The other end of the beast sports 6 sealed case tuners which are stamped up a BC Rich and seem to do the job just fine. // 10

Sound: The Mockingbird give a nice thick sound and provides all the crunch that you could hope for. I have actually been surprised at the range of tones that it can produce. It is alot more versatile than its 'very metal' looks would suggest. That said, rock music is where the guitars heart is. I play rock with a heavy blues influence and the rich, fat sound suits me down to the ground. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: All told the finish is good with a nice smooth neck and well finished frets (something that is not always present on guitars in this price range. I needed to do some twiddling when it first came out of the box, just to get the action down a little on the treble side. There was also a bit of a buzz on the lower frets of the low e string, but nothing out of the ordinary. I would suggest that it is more the responsibility of the retailer to complete the setup that it is the manufacturer. After all, how well would you play straight after getting off a slow boat from China? // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've not had this guitar for long, so I'm not best placed to say too much here. I think that the guitar would withstand live playing, although I haven't tried it yet. The hardware seems to be well made, and everything has a good solid feel to it. The strap buttons are those chunky oversize affairs. They make puttin a new strap on the guitar a bit tricky, but once on, there's no way that it's going to be falling off. As far as playing a gig without a backup, always take a backup. It doesn't matter what guitar you have. If you have a spare, take it with you! // 10

Overall Impression: If I hadn't have been living in Hungary, where the choice of consumer goods leaves something to be desired, I would probably not bought this guitar on the grounds that it looks a little bit too 'Spinal Tap' for my taste. That said, for the price, it was by far the best finished and best sounding guitar in town, so I went for it. After takig it home and comforting myself with the fact that KISS are older than me and stil get away with playing guitars like this one, I dug out my old Spandex pants and got stuck into playing it. Really, for the money, this is a great guitar and I think that you would be hard pressed to find a better quality instrument at the price. I was originally looking at an OLP MM1 guitar for considerably more cash (stuff like this can be expensive in Hunagry) but found that the finish was nowhere near as good as the Mockingbird. Would I buy it again if it was stolen? Well, my insurance company think I've got a Paul Reed Smith, so perhaps not. // 10

Bronze Mockingbird Reviewed by: B1u3 D3m0n, on february 19, 2008

Features: Pretty Standard fare; agathis body, bolt-on maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, 24 jumbo frets, one-piece adjustable (fixed) bridge, single volume knob. Mine has only one pickup (humbucker). Not sure when or where it was made, but most likely in Korea or China. // 7

Sound: I mostly play metal/rock and this guitar does well for it, but it tends to have a muddy sound so I could imagine that it would not be well suited to some other genres. I play it through my Line 6 Spider III 15 amp and it takes fairly well to distortion, but can sometimes sound too muddled. When played clean, the high end tones are great but the low end seems a bit lackluster (though this is probably due to the fact that by brother loves showing me up with his DK2 Dinky on a Spider III 75). I find that there's a lot of buzzing on the first few frets of the 5th and 6th strings, but that is most likely from the adjustments I've made to the bridge. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar is superb, it exceeded my expectations and was a large part of the reason that I bought it. The nut is plastic, and although it seems durable enough it is beginning to wear away so the strings sit lower and lower into the fretboard. The bridge is a bit of a pain, the first time I took it apart to clean/adjust it the tension adjustment screws all misaligned themselves and it took me several minutes to get them back in place. All in all it is somewhat of a hassle since the set screws for the tension adjustment face the inside of the body, towards the pickup and make any minor adjustments impossible without removing the entire bridge thus unstringing the guitar. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Although I can't tell you how the guitar looked fresh out of the factory (since I got mine used), I can tell you that it will stand up reasonably well with age. Although there were a few minor dings/chips on mine, the finish looks pretty solid. I doubt that I'll be putting any more chips into it, and what is there was probably the result of it getting dropped or banged. The strap buttons look pretty solid, though I mostly play sitting down anyway so I don't use them all that much. This is not really a gig quality guitar, being a "bronze series" and all, but would make a fine backup for most players. // 9

Overall Impression: As I mentioned before, this guitar sounds great playing Metallica and Megadeth, but is not suited to the likes of Baroque. I've only been playing for about half a year, but I've had a lot of exposure to different gear (since my brother has played guitar for several years and his band comes over to play often) and I can honestly say that this guitar is great for starters or intermediate players. it's best feature is the action, and I laughed at my friend for spending 200+ dollars on his Ibanez G10 when mine only cost me 100 dollars and has a superior action and finish. // 8

Bronze Mockingbird Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 09, 2009

Features: I'm not sure where or when it was made because I got mine used, but I do know that it has 24 frets, rosewood fingerboard, and a maple neck. It has 1 volume and 1 tone nob and a 3-way tone Switch. It has some kind of BC RICH pickups but as I said before I got it used so I have no clue which ones in particular. It has a fixed bridge. // 8

Sound: This guitar is great for most rock and metal music which I play, but it also has a nice clean tone, too. I use a Peavey Vypyr 15 watt amp with it. It's like they were made for each other (the amp and the guitar). It has a nice, rich sound that suits most music styles. This guitar doesn't have a tremelo bridge so can't divebomb or anything which sucks, but it's still a nice guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was good, but mine had something wrong with the way the bolt-on neck was bolted on so I had to fix that by unbolting then rebolting it. The Pickups were adjusted pretty good. My friend said I should readjust the neck pickup a little but I like it how it is. The finish is gloss black, but when I got it there was a big scratch on the body. The main flaw I mentioned earlier about the neck, but other than that there weren't too many flaws. The volume nob was a little lopsided but that's just about it. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I don't know if it will withstand Live playing considering I've never performed Live. The hardware is nice and solid and I'm sure it will last through what I do to it. The strap buttons couldn't be better, they're nice and solid. I think I could depend on it as a backup at a gig, but I'll never know until I join a band and get a gig. The finish... Hmmm. I don't know about the finish, but I think it will last at least a few more years. // 7

Overall Impression: This guitar is perfect for metal and rock music which I like to play. It's a perfect match. I've only been playing a year, but with this guitar, I've learned things like the guitar solos for Crazy Train, Enter Sandman, Talk Dirty To Me, and Free Bir and I've only been playing a little more than a year. Some other gear I own is a Peavey Vypyr 15 amp, a Pyramid GA110 amp (first amp), Boss MT-2 Metal Zone pedal, Boss CE-3 Chorus pedal, ProCo RATT pedal, and MXR Dyna Comp pedal. I have an Ibanez RG120 guitar, Epiphone LP Junior guitar, Fender Stratocaster guitar, Epiphone acoutic, and a Squier bass. I use 9 gauge strings, but I tweek it up by using a 9 as a B string instead of an 11, so it goes: 9-9-16-24-32-42. I wished I would've asked Who the previous owner was so I could beat the s--t out of them for damaging this guitar. I would get something else if it were stolen because I don't really like BC Rich's that much. I bought this one because it looked/played great and it was cheap. I love it because it's just a great, quality instrument. I compared it to some Ibanez and chose this because it was in better shape and because I alrerady have an Ibanez. I wish it had a Floyd Rose Trem. // 9

Bronze Mockingbird Reviewed by: thesexiestofall, on july 25, 2011

Purchased from: Flea Market

Features: When I first bought this guitar I thought I got a Killer deal on an awesome guitar, but sadly I was wrong, anyway, this guitar was made somewhere in asia, and it was made in the very early 2000's. It came in a black finish and came with the original B.C. Rich logo on it, not the big ass bronze logo. (Thank god!) It has 24 medium-jumbo frets with some ugly Dot inlays, a wrap around Bridge which is horribly ugly, some Standard tuners two HUMBUCKER pickups, a 3-way Switch one volume and one tone knob. The guitar is very heavy and weighs somewhere between 8-9 pounds. It has a maple body and maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard. // 6

Sound: I like to play classic rock, hard rock, alternative and modern rock, and I play through a couple of pedals into a Line 6 Spider Valve 2x12 and it is not suited at all for my style. The only thing that sounds okay is the clean sound which is very rich-bright sounding (with the exception of the high e string unable to be heard). The pickups on this are trash they suck they are the worst damn things I've ever played with! Even with the Line 6's INSANE mode it sounds overdriven, not at all distorted, it is terrible with distortion and effects. The volume/tone knobs hardly make any difference to the guitar's sound. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was old, used, and dirty (fill in joke here) I had to clean it inside and out, re-intonate and re-string it, the pickups werent good in any position I put them in, it had a whole lotta little scratches and dings, but the coat was still shiny and cool-lookin'. The thin-ass neck is my worst enemy I can't STAND IT AT ALL. ALL THE STOCK HARDWARE WAS TERRIBLE it never stays in tune and the electronics inside are the absolute worst there could ever be. // 5

Reliability & Durability: This thing sits in my closet dreaming of being played live someday, but its gonna have to keep dreaming because it sounds like crap, feels like crap and looks like crap, so bad it's not even worth fixing up. Its going to have to last because it'll be sitting in my closet for a lifetime until someone takes it. // 4

Overall Impression: I was very dissapointed in this guitar, I've had it for ALMOST A YEAR and I'm trying to sell it but I've got no luck so far. It sounds bad, feels bad, and looks bad as well. I wish I couldve just walked past the damn thing, but it somehow called out to me in a crying voice begging for me to buy it. I'D BE GLAD IF SOMEONE STOLE IT! I hate it, hate it, hate it and no, there is no guitar out there worse than this save yourself some time and money and buy a REAL guitar. // 4

Comments