Bronze Warlock review by B.C. Rich

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
B.C. Rich: Bronze Warlock

Purchased from: Bruce Miller's

I'm open minded on music, but I'm primarily a metalhead. This guitar isn't the best, but I couldn't have asked for more from my first one, it's suited well to the heavily distorted tones I like, for beginner to intermediate kind of standard. I'm playing it nowadays through a Randall RG100 100W transistor amp, and a Hughes and Kettner Warp distortion pedal. I really love this guitar when the treble's cranked up and you saturate it in gain, but it can get very noisy and sometimes notes aren't quite as clear as I'd like them to be, although this is partly due to my other equipment too. The clean tone on this guitar is so-so, tolerable, but it really comes into its own with high distortion/overdrive settings, I wouldn't say it has that much variety, but it's good at the job it's intended for (some really filthy metal tones).

If you're into metal of any sort (right from the mainstream stuff like Slipknot and Metallica, to the heavier stuff like Decapitated or Unleashed, and most genres in between), and finding your feet as a musician, this is the ideal beginner's guitar for you. I've been playing for about a year and a half now, and this guitar's served me well, although now I feel I'm ready for something a bit more upmarket. Despite the problems with the input jack/paintwork, you're definitely getting much more than you're paying for with this one and you most likely won't regret having it, but only as a first guitar, for more experienced players, it isn't worth it.

Our band aren't up to the gigging stage yet, but I doubt I'll be using this when it comes, unless I change the pickups at least. Our other guitarist has the Platinum version of this guitar, and there's a distinct difference, his tone has a definite edge over mine. Thinking of buying either a more upmarket BC Rich, or a Jackson model for the next guitar, maybe use this as a backup. I've had a recurring problem with the input jack on this guitar, so that's pissed me off quite a bit too. The strap buttons could take a beating I reckon, so they're not really a problem, but I definitely wouldn't use this without a backup, mainly due to that dodgy input jack. The finish is cheap as hell, and I've knocked off chips of it on all the corners, plus the wood is too soft for my liking, as I've chipped off a bit of the widow headstock, after accidentally hitting it against a wall.

The setup here was alright, some other reviews have cited problems with the action, but mines seems good enough. The pickups are quite responsive, considering the price I paid for the guitar, but they're definitely not high quality, I wouldn't use it to a play live with those pickups on it. The guitar itself was/is well set up, but the accessories that came with it are of poor quality, and if you buy this pack, I'd advise replacing the gigbag within 6 months to a year, the handles on mine are ripping off now etc. Unless you're requiring the amp, the package isn't really worth it to be honest.

Japanese model, made in 2002. It has a 24-fret rosewood neck, with an agathis body and a tribal pattern design over a plain black finish. It has a speedloading bridge, and has a 3-way pickup selector, plus one volume and one tone knob. Two humbucker pickups, I'm unsure of the exact model. I was given a pack which included a BC Rich practise amp, BC Rich softcase, a flimsy strap, and a cheap-looking guitar cable.