Bronze Warlock review by B.C. Rich

B.C. Rich: Bronze Warlock

The Warlock, and most B.C. Rich guitars, are made for metal. It definitely delivers, considering the price, although with sufficient funds and experience, one might want to put in new pickups, as the stock humbuckers are not the best quality. They are dull and lifeless clean, but crank up the distortion to an intelligent level, and they sound very good. There is a difference between good distortion and too much distortion though, and I think many people don't understand this. I am running it though a DigiTech RP-250, so I have a lot more control over tone and distortion compared to just an amp. The guitar is only suited to distorion though, don't go for anything flamboyant such as a phaser or a flanger unless you like effects like that combined with distortion. It does have a thicker sound though, and gets muddy at times, although it could be the pedal settings, seeing as that I have not owned the pedal for very long. I have also noticed some unwanted noise, although again, that is the product of too much distortion.

I would say, for the price and series, this is a very good guitar. It is definitely worth the $200, and I am glad I chose this guitar over any other guitars within the price range. I would love for it to have a Floyd Rose and EMG's, or Swineshead pickups, but any of those items would jack up the price considerably. My favourite part of this guitar is definitely the action. As I said, I have never seen action lower than this. This is a great guitar for metalheads, and music such as The Black Dahlia Murder, Mayhem, Strapping Young Lad, Behemoth, etc.

This guitar could go to hell and back, and still be alive and thrashing. I have not had any problems with the hardware, I have only tightened the tuning machine pegs so they don't turn as easily. The finish is thick, probably more than 3/4 of a milimeter. I know this because of all the chips on my guitar. I am not the best with this thing, but it holds up. Just the other day, my friend accidently rammed one of the bottom protrusions into a ciderblock wall (very rough), and only a small amount of paint chipped off. One thing I have noticed especially is the strap buttons. They are very large, and well anchored, and I have a feeling my strap will break before the buttons do, as it is already tearing.

When I bought the guitar, it was set up very well. The action was acceptable, although I did lower it after I started playing. I have never seen action this low on any other guitar without any buzzing. I cannot slip a medium pick under the strings without moving them, and I only get buzz on the higher frets with the 5th and 6th strings. The only major flaw I can think of is the neck pickup. It is angled the wrong way, and when I took it out and looked at it, it seemed to be that the holes for the height adjustment screws were not square with the pickup.

This guitar is similar to the Bronze series Warlocks, except it has a red tribal graphic and a widow headstock. Rosewood fretboard and maple neck, I think, and an agathis body. As I said, it is black with a red tribal, Kerry King style, with a gloss coat. 1 tone and 1 volume, plus a 3-way Switch. Also, it has a single-piece bridge, which the strings run through. 2 B.C. Rich humbuckers, non-locking tunimg machines, and no accessories. Overall, a simply, if effectively equipped guitar.

Patty_metal
    yeah, i have a kerry king walrock. its ok for just to muck around with, but it isnt that fast and goes out to tune too easy. bc rich dont make the best stock guitars, but i wouldnt mind a custom one
    Insane Esp
    yeah b.c Riches sick some huge cock. No bc rich is worth it except for the custom ones as stated above. A local guy named metal bob uses one that not custom, he just runs i think emgs in them and it seems sweet.
    E V H 5150
    I found perfect value for my guitar, and it's very versatile. I've played one of these warlocks before, and it didn't impress me (my guitar at the time was a Squire strat and a Frontman 15G for an amp). And what's the hype about Les Paul's? Who cares, anyway? It's just an over-priced and over-glorified copy of the Telecaster, though a little disuised.
    I Walk Alone
    ibanez_diff wrote: The guitarist makes the guitar, and not the other way around..
    Exactly.
    The_Man_IV
    BC Rich are ok there not anything worth wild unless its custom And the thing came out of China What do you Expect? Most guitars that come from China Are crap...
    \m/(--_--)\m/
    I've used my Bronze series Warlock for about 3 shows now and I've never had problems with it. But my bassist has a Bronze Warlock bass, and his input jack is constantly falling into the body because of the bad screws on the pad. I tried out a Jackson Soloist SL-1 and I have to say, it made my Warlock sound like crap, so I will be buying that one very soon.
    PyroJesus
    I own one of these guitars too, and it made my last 2 guitars look mediochre, mind you, they were a Yamaha ERG121 and a Fender Squier. I've never had a problem with it, ive only played one show with it, but it held together well, sounded good, although i smacked the strings a bit hard and the low E detuned a bit, which made it awkward =S but I guess you either get unlucky and buy a "Dud" bronze series, or buy a decent one. I guess most of us who complain here got unlucky... Hell, mine held up to the task of playing the entire lead for "One" by metallica, that's an achievement for the Bronze series if nothing else is!