Bronze Warlock review by B.C. Rich

B.C. Rich: Bronze Warlock

Price paid: C$ 250

Purchased from: Renaissance Music

I play mostly metal, such as Slayer, old Metallica, and Pantera. This guitar sounds great through my garbage Kustom Solo16 amp, clean and with distortion. I found that the attack was a bit low, creating a hum, but this turned out to be a faulty patch cord which has been replaced and now the guitar is kicking ass! Shredding from the first all the way up the neck to that screaming 24th fret is completely possible, no "puking" as on crappier guitars.

This guitar sounds rather decent for the genre which I play. I've been playing for just over three years, purchased this guitar about a year and a half ago. Great at the time, but I would never buy another Bronze series again. A fantastic guitar for beginners, but the lack of tremolo and some quality hardware really limits this guitar. I'm sure that I'll keep it around for years, even after I purchase another guitar or two, but I wouldn't replace it with an identical model if it were damaged or stolen.

There is no way that this guitar would withstand constant live usage. Just walking around the apartment can be hazardous as the strap can come off of the body at any time without notice. The buttons are solid, just not large enough. The finish on this guitar is particularly tough, I have no idea how many times I've bashed the Widow headstock against the wall, or the body on a chair or desk, wincing all the while, but so far no scratches or chips.

When this guitar came home, the first job was replacing the strings. During replacement, I noticed that the pickups looked low, but it actually turned out to be that the action was ridiculously high right out of the factory, probably around 6mm at the 12th. Other than the action, the only real flaw noticed is top of the nut adjacent to the headstock looks sanded or gouged, you can only notice it if you really look and are actually playing the guitar.

Made in 2006 in China, this Warlock has 24 Jumbo frets, a maple neck, and an agathis body. The bridge is one of those wrap around adjustable types that are a pain in the ass to restring. Standard B.C. Rich "BDSM" humbuckers mounted neck and bridge. Hideous chrome volume and tone knobs mar this otherwise beautifully crafted body, accompanied by a three-position toggle. B.C. Rich tuners on the Widow headstock. What do you expect for the money you're paying though.

ry_guy694
    suicideangel_2 wrote: I've played a few BC Rich guitars the low end ones are a waste of money, the higher end ones are alright but not worth the money, and anyone who plays professinally uses a custom one which cost alot of money
    SOUPerman432321 wrote: a BC rich should never be one of the best guitars you ever played. either youve never played a gibson, fender, schecter, or an esp or you're not good enough to tell the difference
    AMEN TO THAT I've always had a thing against bc rich cuz THEY SUCK, the only good thing they have is the sweet shapes and colors(but even the finish blows) You want a sweet guitar, get the esp/ltd AX260 or AX400 cuz its light, has a great feel and a great sound and looks sweet (except the black finish shows every f**kin smudge and fingerprint) the low action makes even a beginner like me sound great!!!
    WARLOCK123
    this is my first guitar and its pretty good for beginners and all that. but would i buy another bc rich, no because the better models cost too much and for the money they charge for the mid level guitars i could probably find a better guitar for less money and have money left over to buy an amp
    atomicslug
    I don't want to jump on the bandwagon here but the Warlock Bronze really is a pile of shit. I started off with one as my first electric guitar. As soon as i got it the paint had already started chipping off the edges and volume control knob was falling off! I guess I thought the sound was OK, until i bought my next guitar. In restropect, the sound was also shit. Not much sustain and lacking in any kind of depth. AVOID! P.S. I agree with Exxol. Until I had bought my RGR321EX i was...'content' with my Warlock Bronze (besides the whole...you know things falling off stuff). As soon as i played my Ibanez i instantly wanted to burn my old Warlock. It's really that bad.
    Exxol
    i think the people who put in reviews should take some time to play OTHER guitars... the BC rich warlock is far from my favourite guitar... i had the chance to try one out for a while when my best friend bought one, and im glad i had that chance, because this really is a beginner's guitar. the people who said "this is the best guitar for metal i've ever seen"... for looks? maybe.. for sound? get a clue. i'd give it an 8/10 if you get it for a good deal (>200). after i finally decided on the Ibanez JS1000, i could never play a warlock.
    iantheman
    if you forget about all the overenthusiastic metalheads that gave it a 10, its average lowers like 2 points. and holy shit a lot of reviews and comments
    wolfwood_9
    i agree with everyone who says that these guitars suck. unless you wanna put out about 2000 for a custom your an idiot for buying one. i've played quite a few of these and hated each one i've played. they are a cheap route to go if you just want a guitar, but if you want to sound good go buy a decent fender,esp,epiphone,gibson or squier.im not saying every guitar that isnt those isnt good but those are just pretty decent reputable guitars that have pretty good tone.
    jordy-77
    Ok i'd like to say these guitars have the worst tone i've ever heard and has really bad playability. Most people that say they're good probably dont care if there tone sounds bad. But Kerry King has a horrible tone and I now know why, he uses a B.C Rich, however I think some B.C Rich's sound good like the mockingbird but thats about it.
    munkyRobb wrote: lol slash used to play with one of these before his iconic choice of les paul :L
    ? He used a mockingbird, the les paul was his main guitar since the beggining of GNR I'm pretty sure.
    keavader
    hemi-san wrote: bc rich= first act for goth
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH dude. hilarious. I dunno about this guitar, but I bought a Dean Vendetta as my first guitar for a hundred bucks and it's reviews are better than this guitar that costs 200 bucks. Seems like there's a problem here...
    munkyRobb
    ~Shred Hero~
    Low priced BC rich guitars are tone-bad. They are beginner guitars. You're not going to get anything good unless you pitch out the money for a higher priced BC rich... something I wouldnt do.
    RenegadeDave
    The KE3 is playing an entirely different sport than the midrange BCRs. Get the KE3 for sure.
    3dd_bggst_fan
    i would take any Warlock, im a fan. wat im saying is i would take it if it were given to me, but i wouldnt buy this color. black or maybe white
    ilovebamboo
    Basically i've been very interested in Getting a B.C Rich. I don't have much money to spend and the Bronze series is the only one in my price range. So many people slag them and say there crap, and then others say that they're very good for the price. I think i'll get one and judge for myself, but i'll have to get it from Ebay! I dont trust getting guitars off ebay, but has anyone got some guitars from Ebay and they're ok and Genuine? Thanks.