DLXJRVO Deluxe Jr. V review by B.C. Rich

B.C. Rich: DLXJRVO Deluxe Jr. V

The guitar is perfect for metal! I play through a Line 6 75 Watt Spider Jam amp and it has a nice heavy tone. The guitar can sound good on just about any setting, but sounds best on a heavy distortion setting. In order to get a great clean sound you need to turn down the volume and turn the tone knob all the way down, otherwise you'll get a crunch sound on a clean setting.

I play Metal and this is one of the best matches for me because I love playing on V shaped guitars. I've been playing for about two years now and if this guitar were stolen I would hunt it down until I found it. I absolutely love everything about this guitar! I had compared it to the Jackson RR3 Rhoads, Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6, and the Schecter Blackjack ATX C1 FR and I found this guitar to be the best for me.

The guitar will withstand live playing although I would bring a backup guitar just because if you break a string on the Floyd Rose you're done for. The strap buttons are in a comfortable spot (I put strap locks on mine just in case but you really don't need them) and the input jack is on the back side of the V, unlike a Rhoads where it's inside the V. The finish has lasted me so far and I play 7+ hours a day. The only thing about the finish is that it shows fingerprints because of the gloss black finish, so bring a cloth to gigs to wipe it down.

I bought the floor model from guitar center and the action was pretty good, it could have been lower but it was playable. The EMG's did need a new battery but that's only because they're active pickups. After having the guitar set up the action was super low and the Floyd Rose was able to do dive bombs without coming untuned.

This guitar is perfect for metal! It has 24 jumbo frets on an ebony fretboard. The neck wood is maple and the body is Nato (Eastern Mahogany). The guitar has neck thru construction, Active EMG Pickups (81 and 60), Original Floyd Rose Tremolo, Grover tuners, and an Abalone outline around the V and on the Knobs. The guitar has two volume and 1 tone knob. One thing about the knobs is that the Top knob is the Bridge Pickup and the middle knob is the Neck Pickup. One of the only cases that this guitar can fit in is a Coffin Case bass case so be prepared to have a big case.

MikeMenace
    I have to admit I woul rather valve amps, but the spider isn't that bad, hav heard a lot lot worse....
    Skuzzmo
    Hrbč wrote: Im_Broken wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Spider strikes again..lol its amazing how biased you are. It's even more amazing how people buy a guitar for $800, play it through a practice amp and give it 9. I mean you have to dial it down! The reviewer said "In order to get a great clean sound you need to turn down the volume and turn the tone knob all the way down, otherwise you'll get a crunch sound on a clean setting." and in my opinion that is not a feature on grade 9 deserving guitar. Plus Spiders suck.
    But it's all relative isn't it. If this guy is a nub (no disrespect intended) and has never played thru a decent amp and gets a better tone now using his new guitar then what he had before then why wouldn't he give it a high score? For anybody to give a truly accurate score of the type you're wanting then you need to have played every amp/guitar combo possible. Then you would be in a position to give a "true" score. which in the real world isn't gonna happen....
    HoddiDarko
    EpiExplorer wrote: Spider strikes again..
    sewoo55
    nivlarama wrote: i can't stand the tone of spider amps, tubes all the way.
    seemeel
    Wow, what a dreadful review. Spiders are rubbish - I own both a Vox AC30 and a Marshall TSL100 and just for shits and giggles I played a Spider in the guitar shop - god it was awful. This guitar seems to be fairly solid, and it has the potential to be quite a good axe - but 9.8? Seriously, that's a number that should be reserved for Fender custom shop gear, or Les Paul Standards, or ESP Custom gear... you know, properly good guitars!
    rob904
    thats not really a bias.
    DLXJRVO
    Grimriffer wrote: It's a Floyd Rose-1000 not an OFR. The reviewer didn't mention that the V model has neck diving issues. Spiders DO suck.
    Okay then tell me why the Floyd Rose on it says "Floyd Rose Original".
    DLXJRVO
    K!!LsWiTcH wrote: Im_Broken wrote: rofl. people need to stop saying it sucks. its your opinion. and obviously, this isnt your guitar. this guy likes the sound. who gives a **** what you think? i dont think he should. are you kidding? this is a product review. everyone cares about what anyone is going to say regarding the instrument or the review because there are a few people here looking at this wondering if they should get it. if he likes it and his reasons are "my spider kickz azz dude!" then he is incorrect and therefore unhelpful. or when he gives a not custom b.c. rich practically a 10 he is also...incorrect and unhelpful
    Okay I never said "my spider kickz azz dude!" and if you have something against B.C. Rich guitars why the hell are you looking at their reviews? Dude all reviews are OPINIONATED there's no such thing as an incorrect review because it's someone's OPINION. The last thing I have to say to you is that a guitar doesn't have to be a custom shop to get almost a 10. I happen to like this guitar and if I feel like giving it almost a 10 then I will and there's not a damn thing you can do about it. So **** off
    DLXJRVO
    jeffmetalhead wrote: DLXJRVO wrote: jeffmetalhead wrote: Another premature review on a guitar. Come back and try again when you've owned it for about 1 month with about 1 hour per day of playing it. If you want to read a proper review on a simular guitar read my on the BC Rich JR V Icon Pat O'brien signature Its basically the same guitar minus the neck pickup. I've had it since May and I play it 7 hours a day. Tell me how that's a premature review. 7 hours a day? I very much doubt that. However...if you did play it for 7 hours a day since may give or take, you would be able to find more faults, flaws, pro's and cons to write about. Your short uninformative review makes think you wrote it in 5 minutes. If you want a good template on how to write a good review, check out my reviews on my guitars.
    jeffmetalhead
    DLXJRVO wrote: Honestly dude you can doubt me all you want but I know how long I play it a day, you sure as hell don't, and if you don't like what I have to say about the guitar (which is MY OPINION of it) don't read the rest of it.
    Your opinion is fine which how you base a review. But you've missed alot of points on which you could of touched upon before writing this short and uninformative review. Also bullet points and paragraphing would help alot. Your style of review is what a salesman would say to sell the guitar to you just so you would buy it and therefore the salesman getting his commission.
    Edika
    I have had this guitar for more than a year now. My review is in the wrong section (NJ jrV) and my opinion hasn't changed much. What I noticed is that the neck shifts easily with climate changes. After it's first setup it started buzzing after two weeks. After the second setup there is some slight fret buzz on the first frets and the action is quite high. Also when playing chords the thickness of the neck is very evident since my hand gets tired quicker than my other guitars. But I have no problem with soloing and fast runs. And concerning solid-state amps, I haven't played a spyder or spider or whatever amp so I can't say anything. Tube amps are better sounding but only if you crank them up. For people playing mainly at home solid state amps are a better choice especially if you are using overdrive and distortion.
    Flashdaddy
    I have the guitar and it's a good value. It looks good , in fact I like that it is not another Ibanez shredder . It sounds great, to my tastes at least. Lots of sustain. The tremolo stays in tune very well. The strings are a bit high, but I got used to it quickly. The access for the battery should be a hinged cover a la Epiphone's 84 Explorer Reissue,(it's a screw on cover) but proper pre planning will serve you well, as a fresh battery lasts a long time. I like the tone, but that IS subjective. I've played it through an Epiphone Valve Junior Head with a custom 2x12 cab with 2 Emminence "Black Mountain" speakers, a 1962bb Marshall with an additional 1922 Marshall 2x12 Cab with GC12's( for a total of 4 speakers at 4ohms total), A Marshall JCM 2000 Dsl 401 Combo amp hooked to a Marshall 1936 model 2x12 cab, and a Roland GC 405 Hybrid Combo amp with 4x 5' speakers. With and without effects; either a Zoom 505, or Line 6 floor Pod plus, as well as also trying it with a Dod death metal pedal. My favorite combo for this guitar is the Bluesbreaker with the Death Metal pedal (yes, I know that is sacriledge to the guitar eltists snobs, but oh well...) for a sustain and power assault that shook open my neighbors cabinets. I bought mine clearanced from GC in Indy for 534$
    slip9knot
    I just got this, and it's pretty great, but I'm a "Rich Bitch" so I'm a bit biased towards their guitars, but for the price tag, to get a neck-thru, mahogany guitar, with EMG's, an OFR, and Grovers is pretty great. I pulled the tone knob out and put in an EMG Afterburner, and i did an 18 volt mod, and the guitar sounds sick. Hopefully I'm throwing EMG 85X and 89XR's in the bridge and neck, and an EVH d-tuna on the floyd. With some mods, it can be the best metal guitar ever, without, its comparable to a high end Schecter or ESP, for only a fraction of the price.
    Im_Broken
    EpiExplorer wrote: Spider strikes again..
    lol its amazing how biased you are.
    Amuro Jay
    sewoo55 wrote: nivlarama wrote: i can't stand the tone of spider amps, tubes all the way. i agree that line 6 spider amps suck, but you're just another one of those people who jump on the tube amp bandwagon. gtfo
    You're just another one of those people who jump on the Spider bashing bandwagon. cwutididthar?
    Hrbáč
    Amuro Jay
    For a BC Rich, that doesn't look too bad. Mahogany body with EMGs and OFR? Not bad.
    K!!LsWiTcH
    UKMaster
    I had a spider for 3 years before I got a new amp and then realised how bad the spider III was! haha
    Dextermaniac
    Amazing how barely anybody even mentions the guitar itself, all I see is Line 6 Spider's getting flamed XD
    strat07
    because of people always complaining about the Spider amp people will still freakin buy it
    v2a2n2g2
    should've bought a new amp with all that money he put down for a sub par metal guitar :/
    qleger
    I have this guitar as well and i play it through a randall t2 and basson 480w cab. I do not have to turn down my volume to get a good clean tone, it does not crunch whatsoever. Its funny how most reviewers dont mention the neck when that is what truky makes the feel of the guitar. Well this one is pretty fat, comparatively to jackson or ibanez, though it does not slow me down. But just so any potential buyers know who cant actually try it.
    IYanoplathizoI
    AAARRgghh!! It depends on WWHHAATT YYOOOUU LLIKKEE!!! Who gives a toss if this guy likes it and if others dont. A review should tell: Bits How good it puts those bits together And OPINIONS if wanted. Well dont, thanks very much, but probably not the rig for me, all the same all the best and have fun!!
    Grimriffer
    Hobo69
    I think you guys miss why the Spyders are bad. See, its not that tone is bad PER SE, its just that its horribly unremarkable. Every guitar you're ever going to plug into that amp is going to sound the exact same.
    Im_Broken
    Gary.Blizzard
    It's a hell of a guitar. I was planning on buying one. But I no longer have any money to spend on music.
    BlisteringDDj
    Lol at the Spider bashing... This guitar looks like a beast! The B.C. Rich guitars I've tried have been low budget ones, and I've never liked them. This looks like a quality guitar though. Love that outline!
    guitaristren
    This guitar is perfect for metal!
    This guitar is perfect for metal!
    Twice. Wow, really? The guitar looks decent though.
    Hellview
    I play a BC Mockingbird (yellow) and all i play is metal. Pretty envious of this guitars owner, cuz it looks hella badass. Dece review, Spyder once again but im not bashin, not everyone can afford a Mesa Triple Recto like i can BWAHAHAHA
    BlisteringDDj
    Masterofpirates wrote: Looks okay but I'm not paying 800$ for a metal guitar with no tremolo.
    It has a floyd rose, lol. You didn't watch the picture OR read the review?
    EpiExplorer
    HoddiDarko wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Spider strikes again.. The undeserved Spider flame strikes again. Spiders are not the top of the line, but there is nothing wrong with them as practise amps. Belive me, I have had a Spider and now I have a Mesa and a Marshall. I wouldn't buy a spider now, but when I had the amp, I was satisfied and learned a lot about amps. Its a great thing for all beginners to learn about some effects, what they do and see if you are actually going to use any of them for the music you play. And who says a review can't be based on a Spider? Anyways, this guitar looks pretty badass. I wouldn't buy it but I sure can imagine why many people do. But this review is also glorifying the guitar a bit too much. I would be suprised if the guitar is that perfect to have so many 10's.
    Charlie4
    Solid state is great for clean (think ac120) but it certainly is NOT great for any sound that's overdriven. People who say "It's just a practice amp", if that's the case why not buy a 5W VALVE amp? There's no need to sacrifice tone for practice these days. This guitar looks nicely constructed but I'm not a fan of active's, but for metal it will do the job.
    drug.me.2.hell
    Its got a Floyd Rose on it. Did you even read the review?
    HoddiDarko
    EpiExplorer WHATEVER XD Its a freakin' amp, I just know that half of the people reading this will have something to say. I dont even mind spider amps, hell my old guitar teacher had 3 Spider II's and they sounded pretty good for solid state.
    This wasn't just meant to you. And to Charlie4: I actually think it's pretty rare that beginners have a great ear for tone anyway. And a 12 years old beginner with a tube amp? That amp would be dead in matter of months. Or weeks.
    seemeel
    Charlie4 Solid state is great for clean (think ac120)
    You mean the Roland Jazz Chorus JC-120 ? Come on dude. Sort it out. In other news, this is the amp that Hetfield used for the cleans of Nothing Else Matters , for those playing at home.
    seemeel
    Pingis_Or_Death wrote: How you do you know this guitar isn't as good as those guitars? Ever played it? .... Sounds hell of a lot better than a bulky, over-priced les paul to me.
    Yes, because the Les Paul has been consistently popular for 50 years and has attained legendary status that transcends the guitarist community because it's bulky and overpriced. Your credibility = 0.
    ProgJazzMath
    B.C. Rich guitars would be alright if they didn't usually have such dumb headstocks and look like something pulled out of Gwar's frontman's ass. They sound and play good though, which is the tragedy. I wouldn't be caught dead playing one of those in public.
    silentearth:3
    man everyones flaming the spider amps, man they're alright, not everyone can get a mesa or marshall or VOX so chill out and its like you people glorify tube amps so much, man u guys don know that most of the time live setups are mic'ed? and a solid state head will sound great with a 1960a cab(i would know) so just chill out, and giving this guitar an almost perfect review, well....i dont know about that but in my opinion id rather have this than a set neck les paul(gibson is so overrated) so i dont know why you guys are bashing this quality guitar. id rather not have the trem and some Blackouts but thats my preference.
    DLXJRVO
    Okay seriously why is everyone just going to bash on the amp? Spiders don't sound that bad! I'm sorry that I can't afford to buy a tube head and cabs to go with it.
    alertninja1
    It's even more amazing how people buy a guitar for $800, play it through a practice amp and give it 9. I mean you have to dial it down! The reviewer said "In order to get a great clean sound you need to turn down the volume and turn the tone knob all the way down, otherwise you'll get a crunch sound on a clean setting." and in my opinion that is not a feature on grade 9 deserving guitar. _____ Stole My very words, Brother.