Gunslinger Retro review by B.C. Rich

B.C. Rich: Gunslinger Retro

Purchased from: Guitarguitar

It suits my musical style well. My love of shred and metal is more than fulfilled on this guitar. The distorted tone is amazing! Its cleans are pretty good as well. It even does the Eric Clapton distorted tone (think sunshine of your love). However for stuff like the Red Hot Chili Peppers it doesn't do quite as well. I plug it into a Vox Pathfinder 10 with a Zoom G3. It sounds alright through that, but when I plugged it into an Orange amp it sounded beast! It's not the guitar or the Zoom G3, it's the amp. As you'd expect from a humbucker, it's quiet as hell. You can also really shape the tone with either an eq pedal or the amps eq. In short I love it's tone, but for it's not versatile enough. It would be hard to have the versatility I'm looking for in one humbucker though.

It's a pretty good guitar. It lacks the versatility I need, but most guitars do. It suits me pretty well. I've been playing for a year, and this guitar inspires me to learn and it really helped me improve. If it was stolen I'd get another one straight away, but some other B.C. Rich guitars don't look half bad. I love its floyd rose, its neck, its look, its pickup and the general playability. It plays like a dream and looks great to boot. I wish it had a tone pot and a neck pickup, if it had that it'd be a 10. I compared it to a Jackson DK2, but the licensed tremolo put me off. It's a great guitar - just avoid the lower spec version.

This guitar is a tank. It's really hard to scratch or dent. I wish it had a pick guard though, my nails might eventually scratch the finish. The strap buttons are solid, and this guitar is reliable. Backup? What backup?

It was finished beautifully. Everything fitted properly and it was set up well. I tweaked it for a slightly lower action and raised the pickup height a bit, not the factory's fault. Cosmetically, it looks great with no flaws anywhere I can see. There were no flaws whatsoever.

So here goes my first review. It was made in Korea, which I think is a good thing as Koreans really try at their jobs unlike maybe the Americans! A 21 fretted all maple neck, feels good for me, but make sure you like a 15 inch radius. I wish it had 24 frets though. The jumbo frets are great. It screams super strat. It's a solid top, made from Alder, which I love. It's a glossy black which marks with fingerprints really easily. It has an original floyd rose bridge, which really improves the guitar. It only has a volume pot, which is a downfall. This problem coupled with one humbucker in the bridge limits its versatility. Having said that the Rockfield Mafia is a very good humbucker. Don't buy it if you're looking for Vintage tones though. It comes with Grover Kidney tuners, but its a bit of a waste with a floyd rose.

Zan595
    I doubt anyone who's rated it so far has actually played this guitar. They just saw "B.C Rich" in the title and noticed it was green, then gave it a low rating. I've never played this thing myself, but I have a feeling it isn't as bad as the user's rating makes it out to be, just due to pretentious voting.
    Basti95
    iommi600 wrote: that gotta be the weirdest pickup I've ever seen.
    RetroGunslinger
    Great guitars, the first run of the gunslinger retros where far better though. They cost about the same but had an original floyd,(this one definetly has a floyd rose special), and a dimarzio superdistortion in the bridge and a dimarzio chopper in the neck, plus they were red. Obviously BC Rich realised they were not gonna make any money on them lol
    MaggaraMarine
    pokerhappy wrote: Headstock is backwards, it's incredibly ugly because of how bare it is, and it has one, strange humbucker. This doesn't leave a good impression.
    I think it looks cool!
    Addztaylor-123
    i have one.. neon green, its pretty much exactly this review.. its a tank and sounds like its coming at you at 100 miles per hour, defo a nice sounding metal guitar
    Pazz91
    iommi600
    Basti95 wrote: iommi600 wrote: that gotta be the weirdest pickup I've ever seen. So...how many pickups HAVE you seen? Doesn't look like a bad guitar, and even if it is that's probably a fair price. As for looks, imo it's quite badass
    Pazz91
    MaggaraMarine
    Pazz91 wrote: Its a decent guitar thats around a 7 BTW are you sure it is original floyd and rockfield pickups because the web site says floyd rose special and duncan desgined pickups
    They have four models of this: One which was some limited edition kind of thing I think. It had 2 Dimarzio pickups and OFR. Then there was a 1 pickup version (Dimarzio), another 1 pickup version with Rockfield and now they have Duncan Designed pickups and Floyd Rose Special. I have tried the version with rockfields, it was OK but Charvel So Cal (that I bought instead of this) beat it soundwise and feelwise.
    COREYTAYLOR721
    of course its the amp, but a better vox could hold its ground. do the zoom pedals sound as bad as a digitech rp pedals??? hate most multi effects
    Cannibal Koala
    Pazz91 wrote: 'quiet as hell'? i dont really think hell is a quiet place. anyway i think if this guitar had more frets and a neck rail pickup it would have been great, i love the green finish and the slunt bucker
    The thing is, this is dubbed a "Retro" guitar, so it's basically supposed to be an 80's Hard Rock/Heavy Metal guitar. That being said, I'm not a fan of 80's Rock and Metal, but I'd buy this just to do the Van Halen tape paint job and play Eruption.
    falcon1439
    It's definitely got the specs I mentioned, I have the higher spec version. The lower spec one has special Floyd rose,basswood body,SD designed pickups and probably some other cost cutting efforts.
    falcon1439
    @CORETAYLOR721 the zoom G3 is an amazing pedal,it's really versatile. I don't like the distortion myself and I wish it had a master EQ and noise gate but for 149 it's brilliant. Just buy a seperate EQ pedal+noise gate and your away.
    A 21 fretted all maple neck
    Learn to count! It's 22 frets, you can tell it by the dots. The last dot is on the 21st fret. But this guitar looks great, it's just a shame that they have downgraded it all the time and now only make ones with FR specials and Duncan Designed pickups. The 2010 version had Rockfield Mafia pickup and Original Floyd Rose. And the 2009 version had a Dimarzio Super Distortion instead of Rockfield Mafia.
    MaggaraMarine
    falcon1439 wrote: @MaggaraMarine It said 21 frets on the B.C Rich website. And mine is the 2010 version
    From the BC Rich website: "Frets: 22 jumbo". But whatever, you can count them by yourself and if there's no dot on your highest fret then it has 22 frets. There are dots on 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 12th, 15th, 17th, 19th and 21st frets. Oh, and I have tried the model you have and it had 22 frets.
    MarkoakaNiggaK
    Looks good for modding. I like the strat neck and body combo but in my personal opinion kinda dislike the floyd rose. They just don't feel right in my hand so i stick to fender standard bridges. As for improvements : Install a hotrail pup in the bridge position and a singlecol in the middle. Requires some carving but hey it will make it an unique guitar that sounds like it's 10times worth its own price.
    Gunslinger13
    I have the newest version of it in Metallic Orange. It's by no means a great guitar. But, it is fun to play and relive the old days when hair metal ruled the airwaves! I swapped out the Duncan Design PU and put in a much needed Dimarzio Super Distortion DP100! \m/
    pokerhappy
    Realityburn
    Thinking about picking one of these up. Will probably swap out the pickup for a DiMarzio Dominion or Lace Deathbucker and install a Tremol-No on it to hold the bridge still.
    Air_Stryker
    iommi600 wrote: I was talking about its position... the pickup looks good, and so does the guitar...
    Okay, so the problem is that it's slanted? Err, take a look at some strats... You'll get used to it =P