Gunslinger Retro Review

8,458
reviews (2) pictures (3) 25 comments vote for this gear:
Gunslinger Retro Reviewed by: falcon1439, on february 13, 2012

Purchased from: Guitarguitar

Features: So here goes my first review. It was made in Korea, which I think is a good thing as Koreans really try at their jobs unlike maybe the Americans! A 21 fretted all maple neck, feels good for me, but make sure you like a 15 inch radius. I wish it had 24 frets though. The jumbo frets are great. It screams super strat. It's a solid top, made from Alder, which I love. It's a glossy black which marks with fingerprints really easily. It has an original floyd rose bridge, which really improves the guitar. It only has a volume pot, which is a downfall. This problem coupled with one humbucker in the bridge limits its versatility. Having said that the Rockfield Mafia is a very good humbucker. Don't buy it if you're looking for Vintage tones though. It comes with Grover Kidney tuners, but its a bit of a waste with a floyd rose. // 8

Sound: It suits my musical style well. My love of shred and metal is more than fulfilled on this guitar. The distorted tone is amazing! Its cleans are pretty good as well. It even does the Eric Clapton distorted tone (think sunshine of your love). However for stuff like the Red Hot Chili Peppers it doesn't do quite as well. I plug it into a Vox Pathfinder 10 with a Zoom G3. It sounds alright through that, but when I plugged it into an Orange amp it sounded beast! It's not the guitar or the Zoom G3, it's the amp. As you'd expect from a humbucker, it's quiet as hell. You can also really shape the tone with either an eq pedal or the amps eq. In short I love it's tone, but for it's not versatile enough. It would be hard to have the versatility I'm looking for in one humbucker though. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: It was finished beautifully. Everything fitted properly and it was set up well. I tweaked it for a slightly lower action and raised the pickup height a bit, not the factory's fault. Cosmetically, it looks great with no flaws anywhere I can see. There were no flaws whatsoever. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is a tank. It's really hard to scratch or dent. I wish it had a pick guard though, my nails might eventually scratch the finish. The strap buttons are solid, and this guitar is reliable. Backup? What backup? // 10

Overall Impression: It's a pretty good guitar. It lacks the versatility I need, but most guitars do. It suits me pretty well. I've been playing for a year, and this guitar inspires me to learn and it really helped me improve. If it was stolen I'd get another one straight away, but some other B.C. Rich guitars don't look half bad. I love its floyd rose, its neck, its look, its pickup and the general playability. It plays like a dream and looks great to boot. I wish it had a tone pot and a neck pickup, if it had that it'd be a 10. I compared it to a Jackson DK2, but the licensed tremolo put me off. It's a great guitar - just avoid the lower spec version. // 9

Comments