Ironbird One review by B.C. Rich

B.C. Rich: Ironbird One

ELECTRONICS

- Electronics Master Volume, Master Tone, 3-way Toggle.
- Neck Pickup: B.D.S.M. Humbucker.
- Bridge Pickup: B.D.S.M. Humbucker.

The B.C. Rich Ironbird is a good electric guitar. To get if you're still new to playing the guitar. The construction of of the body of this mighty, metal mashing, machine is a bolt-on method using Heavy Basswood to give the instrument a comfortable feel when you hold it. The neck of the guitar is a Material called Maple wood and it has a Satin finish. The fretboard is crafted from rose-wood and sports Jumbo sized frets. The inlays however are just standard dots witch takes away cool points from the look of this axe.

HARDWARE

- Nut Type: Standard.
- Nut Material: Synthetic Graphite.
-Nut Width: 1 11/16"

- Tuning Keys: B.C. Rich Diecast.
- Bridge Type: Tune-O-Matic / String Through-Body.
- Hardware Color: Chrome
- Control Knobs Dome Knobs.

Although stylish this still is a rather cheap guitar to obtain.

I play a wide variety of music including pop, metal, funk, classical and jazz. While doing so on the B.C. Rich I discovered That this instrument was not able to emit the clarity I needed to be able to play crisp arpeggios, you know the kind that make you tingle? If you're looking for a bassy, more distorted sound then this guitar is better for you as that is what it does well. So if you want to play anything other than metal I recommend you don't get a B.C. Rich. Even with effects I found this was the case.

Considering I bought this guitar second hand I was sceptical about the integrity of it. Would it need work etc. So I did some research and contacted B.C. Rich, they gave me an over-the-phone guide to check it was still factory fit and it was. These guitars are made to last, so long as you look after them. Which I'm sure all you guys do. :) I have not had to service it since then and that's been over three years. I have noticed however that the Jack input can become faulty very easily and this can cause problems in the long term.

Everything on this guitar is nice and sturdy I've had mine for a long time and never had to take it for repairs once. The fretboard hasn't lost it's shape or swollen, and the nut and bridge are hardly worn by the strings. The paintwork hasn't chipped or bubbled and the pickups and dials still work smooth as butter. However I have found that the Jack input on this instrument can become faulty. And this can cause problems in the long run, that's the reason why I must emphasise this point. The Jack input however, does get faulty over time. All in all this is a well made instrument.

As I've mentioned this guitar is better to play metal and other heavy music as its bass seeking humbuckers make it a quite naturally distorted instrument. I would buy this guitar again if I had to for the sheer metal abilities it can cope with. This guitar would be so damn awesome if it had less bassy pickups and more clarity. It would be a great guitar if was this way as the playability and likeability would be greater than it is as standard. I love the style of this guitar, it looks so awesome! Almost like an ancient battle axe that's seen its share of orc slaying.