JR V 7 Review

• Pickups: B.C. Rich B.D.S.M Humbuckers
  • Controls: 1 Volume, 1 tone, 1 three-way toggle
  • Black hardware
  • Gloss finish
Came with a very large Coffin Case, which holds the guitar fairly well, but I always put foam in these big cases to keep the guitar stable. // 9

Sound: I play a lot of heavier music, progressive, metalcore, deathcore, you name it. This guitar pulls it off. I play through a Mesa Triple Rectifier along with a Maxon OD808 when I want to play loud or on stage, and I use my PODHD500 for quiet practice at home. The stock pickups caused a fair amount of fuzz, buzz, and unwanted noise with distortion. When using with cleans I still got that unwanted fuzz noise I wouldn't normally get with other guitars. It definitely has a very full, and bassy tone to it, but lacked in a bright or clear sound, most sounds were very dull, if you understand what I mean by this. So now I'll talk about the replacement pickups with this guitar.

I replaced the stock B.C. Rich pickups with Seymour Duncan Nazgul and Sentient 7's. The sound became tremendous. Absolutely incredible, very rich tone, the bass didn't overdo the mids or highs, mids became more vibrant and elevated the highs to produce a clear, loud and responsive tone, and tightening up the lows as well. Plays very well with metal, deathcore, progressive, jazz, and even blues if someone were looking to play that style on this guitar. I highly recommend replacing the pickups of course. I give the guitar a 6 with the stock pickups which I will rate below. But with replacement pups I give it a solid 9. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: When it came to the action, guitar was spot on. The action was near perfect, the pickups were adjusted properly for resonation, even though they aren't the best. The Floyd Rose holds tuning extremely well, and was easier to align compared to other Floyd Rose guitars I have. Now, when it comes to the finish of the guitar, I was slightly disappointed, but only because the color did not match any pictures I've seen online. When I first ordered the guitar, I was expecting a nice, bright purple to black finish. When I took it out of the box, that purple was extremely dark. I've had friends ask me why I ordered the black one instead of the purple one, but then they looked closer and noticed that it wasn't black, and they even agreed that it looks very misleading online, but none the less it looks beautiful, no issues with the paint finish or gloss. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The stock pots, jack and switch might not live up to playing live, I've had them go out on me in the middle of playing, luckily I had a backup guitar. So I replaced all of that, fairly cheap, not an issue. I believe the Floyd Rose and locking nut will live up to expectations, so no issue there. Strap buttons are fine. Again, as I said, you might get lucky using it all stock, but if you're a serious musician and you like the guitar, you'll spend an extra 20 bucks or so to replace the pots, jack, and switch. Pickups are entirely up to you, I personally did not like them for my sound, so I spent an extra 200 to replace them, I wouldn't have done so if I didn't think this guitar will hold up. // 7

Overall Impression: So, using this guitar for metal, deathcore, metalcore, progressive, jazz, etc... Spot on. I've been playing for 8 years now, and when compared to my LTD Alexi 600, LTD MH-1000NT, LTD MH-1000FR, Schecter Synyster Gates Custom, Oktober Annihilator, this guitar just feels perfect to me. I wished I would've asked more about the color and finish, other than that nothing else. Wouldn't buy another one if something like that were to happen, I'd probably pickup a Jackson 7-string, because I've been a little interested in Jackson lately. I hate the stock pickups, Loved the finish and the ebony fretboard and especially the neck shape. I only wish it would have came with higher end pickups. But overall, it's my favorite instrument I own and that's saying something. // 8

Comments