Kerry King Wartribe 6 KKSS6WG review by B.C. Rich

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
B.C. Rich: Kerry King Wartribe 6 KKSS6WG

Purchased from: Beat Streat Music

Playing metal, you can't go wrong here. The EMG 81's get a bad wrap from time to time for being "generic" but, add that PA2 preamp and the solid maple body? This guitar sounds anything but generic! I tried plugging this into my Tube amp first. Sounded a little dry compared to the X2n in my other guitar until I engaged the PA2. With the PA2 on there was no need for my driver pedal. Next I plugged it into and old DigiTech 2101 I have and the impression was the same minus that the PA2 didn't have as much of an effect on the sound. More like a bit of brightness boost is all it sounded to me.

I've been playing metal, neo-classical & hard rock for 20 years. This isn't my first Warlock (wartribe) so I knew basically what I was getting. If I could do over again, I would have asked what this thing weighed! Like a dumb ars I didn't think about the maple neck/maple body combo. This thing is HEAVY! I bet is easily outweighs my Charvel by 5-7 lbs. If this thing was lost or stolen, would I replace it?... Hmmmm... Probably. The manufacturing issues with it were kinda a let down though they aren't anything major. I love the features of this axe. PA2, Kahler tremolo, neck through... Luv it! I chose this guitar for its features/price. Rich, Jackson, ESP and Ibanez. I looked at new and used. I just haven't owed a new guitar in many, many years and decided it was time for something NEW. This guitar had the most features (to my liking) for the price.

At this time I wouldn't take this guitar out to a live gig, it needs a good set up first. I'm not confident enough in it to trust it. The guitar is very solid and would probably be very dependable after its first trip to a good tech. I'm looking forward to that time.

Here is where I have a bit of a problem. MADE IN CHINA. Need I say more? I have found a couple of (small) rough spots in the finish in obscure places. But, they are there. The string lock (nut) is a touch loose and makes an audible noise when using the tremolo. I believe it just wasn't glued down properly when they screwed it down. I don't use the tremolo bar and have the tremolo locked so, this isn't a problem. I'll remedy the problem when I change the strings for the first time. I'm not too impressed with from the factory action. Again, I'll fix that... SOON. Everything else (so far) seems flawless.

Construction: Neck Through Body Wood: Maple Top Style: Beveled Headstock Style: Beast Headstock Color: Color Matched Tuners: Grover Neck Wood: 3pc Maple Neck Radius: 12" Back of Neck: Painted same as body Nut Width: 43mm Fretboard: Ebony Inlay: Tribal Inlay Frets: 24 jumbo Factory Strings: .009 - .042 Scale: 25.5" Bridge Type: Kahler hybrid X-Tremolo Pickups: EMG 85 neck, 81 bridge Hardware: Black Finish: Trans black w/ tribal graphics (looks green to my eyes).

stndrdprcdre
    postmortemspasm wrote: HAHAHAHA 'Heavy', you dont know heavy dude... try a six string bass... hahahaha what a wuss
    LOL....you don't know heavy, either. Try holding a cinder block. Dumbass, I'm pretty sure he was talking about the weight in relation to other guitars. No shit a bass is going to be heavier, but that's not the issue here.
    LeakyFlask
    Air_Stryker wrote: NHECOS wrote: [quote]MH400 wrote: Nice to see a review that isn't all 10s +1
    They have a button for that now. So you don't have to write it like you just did, and look like a tool. It's up there. Top right of each and every comment. You're welcome. [/quote] Yes. They also have a button for -1. Guess which one I used for your comment.
    Slaytan666
    The EMG 81's get a bad wrap
    I got a bad wrap from McDick's a few days ago and I still can't trust a fart. But seriously, It's nice to see a review from someone who knows what they're talking about, not some noob that just figured out how to play 'smells like teen spirit'.
    T00DEEPBLUE
    The only bad thing about that review is that you criticised it for being made in China. I've played guitars made in China that have better necks than guitars made in the USA and they have completly flawless finishing and fretwork. Saying that guitar was poorly made purely becuase it was made in China is meaningless.
    tonello
    I've tried it, and I don't remember being particularly impressed with it. I think that a guitar has to make you remember it. Case and point, I played an American Standard Tele, and while it wasn't anything special in terms of electronics, I still remember that axe, it's sound, and place I played it at. So if your truly looking for a guitar, play one walk away for a week or two, and if you still remember how it sounded, then it's a good axe, and worth a look at.
    Air_Stryker
    NHECOS wrote: [quote]MH400 wrote: Nice to see a review that isn't all 10s
    +1[/quote] They have a button for that now. So you don't have to write it like you just did, and look like a tool. It's up there. Top right of each and every comment. You're welcome. On another note, having recently played this guitar at my local shop, it looks and sounds awesome, but I don't personally like Kerry King that much, so it's not for me.
    DJ_Effrey
    They have a button for that now. So you don't have to write it like you just did, and look like a tool. It's up there. Top right of each and every comment. You're welcome. [/quote] You look like a tool
    thegreasefire
    Hey, I play one of those! Beautiful machine... I love it. Good muscle builder too haha
    Metal_Master_0
    B.C. Rich gets a lot of flak, and it's not like they don't deserve all of it. All the B.C. Rich guitars that I've seen under $1000 have some minor flaw in it like the finish or minor hardware/wiring issues, but they aren't complete crap. You could definitely get a better guitar for that amount of money, considering the feature you payed 10-20% of the price for (tremolo/locking system) has a flaw in it. If you aren't spending top dollar for B.C. Rich then go to another brand, it has shiny things but it isn't worth it!
    ChiefJanez
    They have a button for that now. So you don't have to write it like you just did, and look like a tool. It's up there. Top right of each and every comment. You're welcome. On another note, having recently played this guitar at my local shop, it looks and sounds awesome, but I don't personally like Kerry King that much, so it's not for me.[/quote] +1 lol
    Air_Stryker
    DJ_Effrey wrote: Air_Stryker wrote: NHECOS wrote: MH400 wrote: Nice to see a review that isn't all 10s +1 They have a button for that now. So you don't have to write it like you just did, and look like a tool. It's up there. Top right of each and every comment. You're welcome. You look like a tool
    You know what, I'll admit, it was stupid of me to say that, so I apologize and I'll just STFU know.
    Hvumtl_28208
    Thank you all for your plus 1's. I've had this guitar almost a month now and don't regress my purchase. let me answer a couple of the questions above: I believe I stated it before but I purchased this instrument 4 the price/features. to each their own, I like the shape also yes I was comparing this guitar weight my chaarvel guitars weight I apologize to anyone who took offence about my made in china comment
    b_nosy
    leohimself wrote: why in the world would you buy bc rich?
    why in the world would u comment on a b.c.rich? seriously if u dont like thebrand then wtf are u doing commenting on a review about it... u really must have had the time to look up something u dont like.
    Hvumtl_28208
    2 years have passed now since my original review:Not much has changed since my original review. I've addressed all my original issues and still love this axe! I will NEVER give up my 90s Charvel for practice and everyday jamming! But as far as recording or live playing? I'm still in love with this g-tar. More so now that I have fixed it's original issues. A couple ppl asked where can this still be found: It took me all of 30 sec. to find 3 of them. try making Google and Ebay your friend. Best price I could find was $999 (US). Good luck I think I'm about ready for a Marc Rizzo 7 string
    MaggaraMarine
    MH400 wrote: Nice to see a review that isn't all 10s
    Yeah. The reviewer knows that 7/10 means "pretty good", not "sucks" as many reviewers seem to think.
    Skullivan
    leohimself wrote: why in the world would you buy bc rich?
    Why in the world should this man be criticized for buying a guitar that he wanted? To each his own, you must really be Leo (Fender) himself.