KKV Kerry King Signature review by B.C. Rich

B.C. Rich: KKV Kerry King Signature

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

This is a great guitar. No hum, no hiss when you palm mute, just a very crisp sounding guitar. The EMG's do wonders for the sound. However, as with almost all EMG pickups, don't expect a good warm clean sound form this guitar. Of course, if you're buying a Kerry King Signature guitar for playing clean (or any BC Rich) you need to be kicked in the balls. Apart from the so-so clean, this is a great sounding axe.

I play mostly '70s rock and '80s heavy metal. If you want a true metal guitar, this is it. My LTD is better for more modern metal and some punk, but this is overall a better guitar. The best feature is just that it's so unique. Almost every local band is either playing a Fender (or Squier, cheap asses) American Strat or an Epiphone/Gibson Les Paul. Be different. Not only is it unique, but it can truly outplay any Gibson (and I know, having owned two SG's and currently a Goth Explorer). Although a little pricy, this is definetly worth saving up for.

Having already gigged two gigs with it (one without a backup) I can say it'll hold out. I ordered a EMG-KFK pickup set for this guitar. Tuning is incredibly solid once you tune it and lock it down, may adjust a few cents out of tune, but nothing too terrible (if you're worried about staying lock-tight in tune, then buy an original Floyd Rose or a Kahler tremelo) Unless you abuse the living crap out of it, it'll hold. I personally don't clean and polish it, but I take care of it. Just make sure to be careful when changing strings with the Floyd Rose. Be patient, it'll take a while. As for the controls and everything, nothing's wrong so far. But I'm watching that input jack as BC Rich's tend to have loose input jacks.

First off - low action! The high E string is 3/34 inch off the neck at the 12th fret. Better yet, no fret buzz. The guys who put this guitar together knew what they were doing. The neck pickup was really low when I got it, but all you need is a phillips screwdriver and you can adjust them however you want it. The strings on it were actually pretty good, but I changed them after a week anyway. If you don't think that the Tribal graphics are just ungodly amazing, you have problems. They look about thirty times better in person than online. Trust me.

Wow, that's all that can be said. I bought this NJ Signature KKV about a month ago from Musician's Friend in hopes of a good practice guitar. Better yet, I've used it at multiple gigs (better than my LTD MH-400). The two EMG-HZ humbuckers are good, but aren't quite as hot as the '81s or '85s. Still, they will do fine if you want decent pickups. The floyd rose is great! You have to tighten the locking nut quite a bit to have it hold absolute tune but it's worth it. The finish is flawless, beautiful tribal graphic with diamond inlays on the neck. The headstock has the tribal graphics as well. It came packed in a hardshell case.