KKV Kerry King Signature Review

manufacturer: B.C. Rich date: 08/29/2012 category: Electric Guitars
B.C. Rich: KKV Kerry King Signature
Based on Kerry King's handcrafted B.C. Rich V-shaped guitar, the new KKV Signature Special captures the essence of the expensive handmade instrument at a totally affordable price.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.4
 14,034
reviews (9) pictures (1) 36 comments vote for this gear:
KKV Kerry King Signature Reviewed by: damian_roswell, on december 15, 2005

Purchased from: Lyana

Features: Guitar was made in China, unfortunately, in 2004. Basswood body, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, Wraparound bridge, Beast style headstock (very neat), black with red tribal graphic headstock color, sealed Die-Cast BC Rich tuners, 24 jumbo frets, 12th fret white tribal inlay, 2 BCR special design humbucker pickups, 3-way toggle (2-vol, 1-tone), black hardware. // 8

Sound: This is a real metal guitar; looks like it and plays like it. I play also rock music, and the KKW does like it too! I am using it with a Conquest 15W amp and DigiTech RP200 effects (awesome). It does make some noise through the amp, but hey, it got the looks. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I find the special design (plastic) humbucker pickups a little cheesy. They don't give me a solid look, but they seem to work alright. Strap buttons are not placed very practical. They are both on the back side of the guitar, so the strap is suited in a strange spiral. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I don't think this guitar will give any problems with live gigs. They only worry I have is the plastic pickups. I think this guitar wil last a couple of years on me. And I play the guitar for almost every day. // 7

Overall Impression: I am playing for 2 years now, and this is my second guitar. I would not buy this guitar again, simply because it is not complete. There are some practical minors, like the heavy headstock and rear mounted strap buttons, so I would choose another guitar. Afterall, this is a nice guitar for a novice guitar player, but not for a Pro. // 8

KKV Kerry King Signature Reviewed by: charles_ebarb, on june 25, 2009

Purchased from: beyondeleven.com

Features: It was made in 2009, in Korea. It has a thin-u shaped neck with med-jumbo frets, Maple neck-thru construction with maple sides. The color is ONYX with Generation 1 white and grey tribal design. The body shape is a very aggressive V-shape, with the warlock headstock which also has the black and white tribal design accompanied with grover mini-robomatics for the tuners and a floyd-rose style locking nut, which does it's job very well. as we all know, b.c.rich does not sell cases with their guitars so I got a b.c.rich case that fits a V-shaped guitar, still not sure about it, but I trust it. The guitar came with all the necessary tools(allen wrenches) to adjust the bridge and nut, but not a phillips screwdriver for the screws. The pickups are EMG 81/85 with pa2 preamp 1 vol. 1 tone and 3-way selector. I give this guitar a 9.75 because the action and set-up was perfect and from the time I ordered it to the time I recieved it was exactly 4 days! WOW! AND.....no guitar is a perfect 10. // 9

Sound: no matter what your style of music, this guitar can handle it! I've even played a bit of flamenco and the guitar is very versatile, the pickups just sing every note you pluck. Now, I fancy the sound that Metallica had when they recorded "Master of Puppets" just heavy and crisp with total tonal arsenry. And with the pa2 preamp you can stand out your solos without changing your sound. I am playing this guitar thru a Peavy audition chorus with no effects except what the amp has; distortion and chorus, and this guitar makes that little amp work its ass off! I will give this thing a 10....it's earned it! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came with a great low, fast setup. The Kahler x-trem bridge was intonated perfectly. the strings are 10's, although the guitar was not tuned when I got it, it was relatively easier than a liscenced Floyd Rose! The pickups needed a slight adjustment, but other than me being picky. // 9

Reliability & Durability: So far, I have rocked it out 1 time and felt very comfortable with it onstage, I have a backup because we play in drop-d tuning as well, and trying to detune is a definite impossible without the help of another guitar to play. The stap buttons are grade-A. It took me a few minutes to get my strap on them, but I can tell that once it was on, it wasn't going anywhere! The finish looks really good, except for the tips,(they always chip...it comes with the territory) I expect it to last about 5 years. // 9

Overall Impression: I play homegrown kick-ass Texas Hardcore with solo's! I've been playing for 15 years. I have a Dean ML79, Samick Greg Bennett Ultramatic 3, and now this guitar. I usually play thru my peavy audition chorus here at the house, but when I play Live it's thru my Crate gx head through my BMF cab loaded with 2 Vintage 30's and 2 greenbacks with my RP250 effects pedal. If it were stolen or lost.....I'd get another one no doubt at all. there is nothing I dislike about it. I am totally satisfied! I compared this with other KKV's, the Dean From Hel, the Jackson K stnd, the LTD VF-400 and the KKV blew them all away by and far! I wish it had a 2nd vol. knob... // 9

KKV Kerry King Signature Reviewed by: Vanilla_Gorilla, on april 27, 2005

Purchased from: muscians friend

Features: It's a 2004 or less made in Korea. Rosewood soloist neck with moderatly thin frets. V style body with Tune-O-Matic bridge and a bolt on neck, two BC Rich humbuckers and a 3-way Switch, two volume, and one tone control. The guitar came with a cheap bag, strap, head sweat, and some picks. // 6

Sound: It suits a more bottom end of metal for rythem and less sustain than some other models. I use a Danelectro Fabtone with a Dean amp through two 12's (rippin good tone) your head romm is limited with a feed back problem at max tone not really too noisy but you'll get used to it. The guitar has decent tonal range for its design deep bottom end cut with a lot of tone wash at high ends. Sounds great! // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: If you've ever seen this guitar you'll know about the design, it's a simple guitar and simple to maintain almost no flaws found so far of course but there is always somthing that will bother a single person imparticular is just your opinion or your playing style i.e. you can't sit down and play because it's a V. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Sure it will withstand live playing as long as you know this guitar in and out, like the back of your hand, not the best guitar to borrow for a gig but you can play it for a while to get used to it you can't go from a Standard Strat to this guitar you'll fell ridicolous. I would use this guitar up front or as a back up. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is a decent match for me for my style (metal, rock). I've been playing for a few years and I wish I'd played this guitar before hand because I probaly would have bought a Omen 6 instead because I could sit down and play. Don't get me wrong I like the guitar but it's a good thing I bought it when I did my other guitar crapped out on me a week before. My favorite feature is the body style and design (tribal). The worst feature is the "crapbuckers" it's worth it to buy better pickups. // 8

KKV Kerry King Signature Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 27, 2005

Purchased from: Lyana - Stein

Features: This is the 2005 War Tribe 1 KKW version. It has been made in China. These are the specs: basswood body, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, wraparound bridge, beast style headstock, sealed diecast BC Rich tuners, 25. 5" scale length, 24 jumbo frets, 2 BCR special design humbucker pickups, 3-way toggle (2-vol, 1-tone). It came together with a gig bag, wristband, strap, cable and a Kerry King poster. // 8

Sound: It sounds like a real metal trashing piece of art. It couldn't be more like a metal sound. It's got the BC Rich sound alright, like it should. I use it with a Conquest 15 Watt amp and a DigiTech RP50 effects. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This section should be given a full score. Besides the beautiful tribal painting on the body, is the Warlock model a very extreme and although an easy design. Especialy the headstock earns a lot of credit. The two humbucker pickups look alright. I'm not that specialst to decide whether they're alright or not. The maple neck feels nice and plays like it should. The wood doesn't feel slippery at all, not even when playing with sweating hands. Minor detail is the big headstock. It's a little too heavy, and it makes the guitar bend over to the left side. This also happens because of how the straps are attached (back side). But it does look really awesome! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't done live gigs, yet, so I can't determine whether it's good on stage. It doesn't really feels nice hangin around your neck because of the big headstock and back side strap buttons, so I would bring a backup guitar to a live gig. // 6

Overall Impression: I play different styles of music. The guitar tells you to play all kinds of metal, not only because of the looks, but also its action character. I am happy that I bought this guitar, it's my first metal piece. I also own a Morgan guitar. This is a Fender Strat imitation. Plays also very good, but I bought the Warlock for the metal tabs. I wish it had a tremolo, I miss that. But without one it does play a bit faster, hm. // 8

KKV Kerry King Signature Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 10, 2005

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: Wow, that's all that can be said. I bought this NJ Signature KKV about a month ago from Musician's Friend in hopes of a good practice guitar. Better yet, I've used it at multiple gigs (better than my LTD MH-400). The two EMG-HZ humbuckers are good, but aren't quite as hot as the '81s or '85s. Still, they will do fine if you want decent pickups. The floyd rose is great! You have to tighten the locking nut quite a bit to have it hold absolute tune but it's worth it. The finish is flawless, beautiful tribal graphic with diamond inlays on the neck. The headstock has the tribal graphics as well. It came packed in a hardshell case. // 10

Sound: This is a great guitar. No hum, no hiss when you palm mute, just a very crisp sounding guitar. The EMG's do wonders for the sound. However, as with almost all EMG pickups, don't expect a good warm clean sound form this guitar. Of course, if you're buying a Kerry King Signature guitar for playing clean (or any BC Rich) you need to be kicked in the balls. Apart from the so-so clean, this is a great sounding axe. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: First off - low action! The high E string is 3/34 inch off the neck at the 12th fret. Better yet, no fret buzz. The guys who put this guitar together knew what they were doing. The neck pickup was really low when I got it, but all you need is a phillips screwdriver and you can adjust them however you want it. The strings on it were actually pretty good, but I changed them after a week anyway. If you don't think that the Tribal graphics are just ungodly amazing, you have problems. They look about thirty times better in person than online. Trust me. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Having already gigged two gigs with it (one without a backup) I can say it'll hold out. I ordered a EMG-KFK pickup set for this guitar. Tuning is incredibly solid once you tune it and lock it down, may adjust a few cents out of tune, but nothing too terrible (if you're worried about staying lock-tight in tune, then buy an original Floyd Rose or a Kahler tremelo) Unless you abuse the living crap out of it, it'll hold. I personally don't clean and polish it, but I take care of it. Just make sure to be careful when changing strings with the Floyd Rose. Be patient, it'll take a while. As for the controls and everything, nothing's wrong so far. But I'm watching that input jack as BC Rich's tend to have loose input jacks. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly '70s rock and '80s heavy metal. If you want a true metal guitar, this is it. My LTD is better for more modern metal and some punk, but this is overall a better guitar. The best feature is just that it's so unique. Almost every local band is either playing a Fender (or Squier, cheap asses) American Strat or an Epiphone/Gibson Les Paul. Be different. Not only is it unique, but it can truly outplay any Gibson (and I know, having owned two SG's and currently a Goth Explorer). Although a little pricy, this is definetly worth saving up for. // 10

KKV Kerry King Signature Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 26, 2005

Purchased from: Local Dealer

Sound: It's perfect for my progressive, melodic, metal sound. I play it through a celestion loaded Crate Blue Voodoo 150 full stack. Straight up amp distortion and that's it, and it's amazing. It's slightly noisy when I am not playing, but have distortion on (not feedback, just a buzz). It's great for the pinching harmonics that I'm known for. It's perfect. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up perfect from factory. I had to change it though because I use 10-60 gage strings so I did that myself. No problem, the pickups were set up nice. Everything is nice one it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has withstood live play. I keep this in drop-C with no backup. It's awesome, hardware is sturdy, although I don't like the knobs that have the little screw on the side. I broke one side of the part that twists on the pot but with the screw in knob, it later came in handy, I didn't have to replace the pot. I just screwed it far in and now it's fine. I don't like the strap button posistions so I put some schaller locking buttons on it and not it's fine. The finish looks sweet and is lasting great. // 8

Overall Impression: I play progressive, melodic, metal and it's perfect for that. I've been playing 3 years now, and I also own an Ibanez RG7620, an Ibanez K7, a Dean Avalanche MQ, and a Crate Bv150 full stack. I would definetly get another if this was lost. I love everything except the strap buttons and the screw on knobs. I love the EMG's. // 10

KKV Kerry King Signature Reviewed by: liesofautumn, on november 07, 2005

Purchased from: musiciansfriend.com

Features: This heavy metal tailored piece of wood is 100% solid body with solid black finish and silver tribal graphics. It has a Tune-O-Matic bridge so it's nice and stable, as well as easy to keep in tune. 3-way pickup Switch but believe me, out of each of those three there are endless tonal possibilities. The tuners are B. C Rich brand and seem to do a pretty good job of keeping it in tune regardless of being jarred a bit. The version of this guitar I have came with a gig bag that was a bit too small for this rather large guitar, a strap, a few Kerry King Signature picks with what else? Kerry Kings signature on them. A bandanna with tribal graphics a la' the guitar itself is also included. Rosewood finger board has nice harmonic overtones as well. // 7

Sound: I'm play mostly metal (i.e. Lamb Of God, Testament, Megadeth, Slayer, etc.) and obviously since the guitar was designed by Kerry King (Slayer) it more than fits the bill for the acrobatic hand movements and palm muted chugging that my metal requires. But, even through my Randall G200 it can deliver the goods for my jazz styles as well as a pinch of rockabilly. The pickups really Shine in being able to pick up pinch harmonics and bring them out full granted the distortion is present. When clean, and switched to the middle pickup with the neck volume turned up bit I get a bit more fuller warmer sound, perfect for fusion and jazz and maybe blues. On the neck pickup with full neck volume, the sound is full as ever and big and fat and warm with something of a ZZ Top vibe. This is a versatile guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The only real flaw I have found was the finish. When I received it, the ends of the V were chipped and this finish continues to chip pretty easily. My advice would be invest in a hard case if you can find one that fits this beast. // 5

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is a great, durable live player. The hardware is extremely durable and has yet to wear down even after 2 years of rigorous wear and tear. Excellent. // 10

Overall Impression: Again, I'm primarily a metal player, and this guitar is a greeeeat match! If this guitar were stolen however, I would consider other options seeing as I shamefully bought it only for its looks. Looking back, it wouldve been better to purchase a Jackson or Ibanez for the same price range. But for this price, this is an excellent guitar. // 8

KKV Kerry King Signature Reviewed by: Crunchmeister, on march 23, 2012

Purchased from: ebay

Features: This is one of the high end Korean models made in 2011. I purchased it new from an ebay seller for $650 + shipping. It's the highest end KKV you can get from BC Rich without going to the USA Custom Shop for the $5000 model. It's a copy of Kerry King's black V with white tribal paint job that he's been playing since switching back to BC Rich from ESP back in the 90s. Other than the tribal paint job on the front, the whole guitar is a beautiful high gloss black finish. Its specs are pretty much on par with the USA custom model that Kerry King plays, but Asian-made for lower cost and a lower end Kahler Hybrid bridge. Like its high end namesake, this guitar is based on the BC Rich Speed V body which offers excellent balance. The neck-thru construction has a comforable heel and allows exceptional and effortless upper fret access. Other than the obvious fret spacing, accessing the 24th fret is as effortless as accessing the 12th. The neck is made of Canadian rock maple and topped with a very dark ebony fretboard and 24 frets. And this is quality ebony with tight grain and not the cheap, open grain stuff you often find on many import guitars. The body wings are made of softer maple. The custom abalone "K" inlays are similar to the ones on Kerry's own signature guitar. The inlay work itself is flawless. Each inlay is well fit and there doesn't appear to be much or any filler. The neck is topped with a pretty standard set of Grover tuners. The bridge is a Kahler Hybrid. It's basically a Chinese-made copy of the classic American Kahler 2300. The cam is made in the USA with the rest of the bridge being Chinese. Construction of the bridge is about what you'd expect from a Chinese-made product. It looks and functions like the real deal, but has imperfections and doesn't perform quite as well. More on that later. The electronics are the tried-and-tested, top-of-the-line EMG 81/85 matched up with the EMG PA2 preamp that will kick out an extra 20 dB of gain. This means you can make this guitar scream like the true metal machine it is on amps with even modest overdrive. The controls are simple - a standard master volume, master tone and 3-way pickup selector. There's also a 2-way toggle switch to engage the PA2 preamp. I suspect few people playing this guitar will ever actually turn the PA2 off, so even if the switch wasn't there, I don't think anyone would miss it. The guitar comes in its plain box with nothing else included other than the allen keys required to work the Floyd Rose-style locking nut and make the appropriate adjustments to the bridge. The only reason I don't rate this section a perfect 10 is because of the Kahler Hybrid. // 9

Sound: This guitar has a very singular focus - intense, face-melting metal. Honestly, anyone who expects any else from Kerry King's signature model needs a reality check. If you're looking for a versatile guitar that can adapt well to any musical style, you're seriously barking up the wrong tree here. The tone from this monster is absolutely BRUTAL. While you CAN use it to play anything, you'll find that the tone doesn't really suit other musical styles well. Metal is what this tool was designed for and it's unapologetically what it does best. I'm currently playing this guitar through either my Line6 POD X3 Live for quiet practice and recording, or a Peavey XXX head + Marshall 1960A cabinet with Eminence Patriot speaker + custom 2 x 12 with Celestion V30. The XXX has some pretty crazy gain, but I have my gain set to about 3 (9 o'clock) when the PA2 is engaged to get a HUGE, crushing tone. You don't need a lot of amp / effect distortion to make this bitch scream. As one would expect from an all-maple guitar, the sound is very bright. You can really hear the bite, attack and punch on every note. But it doesn't have a thin trebly sound despite that brightness. The rock maple neck provides a very punchy low end with plenty of girth and it reels in the EMG 81's emphasis on the high mids and highs. The resonance in this guitar is amazing. Notes sustain for quite a long time, even notes plucked in the upper frets. There isn't a dead spot to be found anywhere on this neck. All notes ring loud and true even when bent to extremes. When played unplugged, the body resonates significantly. I suspect that the extended body wings of the V design act like a tuning fork and help those body vibrations develop fully resulting in a much richer sound with tons of overtones. Because of its bright, lively sound, harmonics jump off the fretboard with little effort. You can easily make this guitar squeal like a pig without any assistance from toothless hill-folk. Take note that with a high gain amp and the PA2 preamp enabled, feedback may be an issue. I would highly recommend using a noise gate to clamp down during silent moments, as this loud bitch doesn't know when to keep its mouth shut! I give this guitar a full 10 points on this section even with its lack of versatility. You don't buy this guitar for versatility. You buy it to play metal. And if that's what you're looking for, you'll be pretty hard-pressed to find another guitar that's this well suited and custom-tailored to the task. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Almost everything on this guitar screams quality. From the materials to finish to fretwork. Rarely will you find such near-perfection out of the box. There were no flaws anywhere on the finish. The high gloss black finish was impeccable out of the box. As noted, the inlay work is expertly done, and unlike many Asian-made guitars, there is no visible filler around the inlays that would normally suggest sloppy inlay work. The fretwork on this instrument is flawless. There wasn't a sharp edge to be found anywhere. Each fret is nicely crowned and levelled perfectly. There are no dead spots anywhere on the neck. All notes ring loud and true regardless what string or fret played, and will sustain admirably even when bent to extremes. Because of this amazing fret work, the action can be set very low without any buzzing. The action out of the box was great, but started buzzing. This was due to the guitar acclimating to its new environment with different temperature and humidity. Once I reset it, I got super low action that I love without any buzzing. The only other guitar I've ever had that can go this low with zero buzz is a $4000 custom shop model. The one weakness of this guitar is the Kahler Hybrid. With the exception of the USA-made cam, the China-made bridge is made of low cost materials - probably pot metal - and the fitting isn't as nice and precise as USA models. The fine tuners needed a lot of "working in" and some lubrication (silicone grease ftw) to make their action smooth. And even then, they're still a bit rough. A real USA Kahler feels solid and precise - qualities which don't apply to this bridge. Yes, it works and holds the gutiar in tune as well as the real deal, but make no mistake. Even though this has the Kahler brand name all over it, this is no more a Kahler than cheap, Chinese-made Floyd-licensed bridges are real Floyds. The Kahler bridge design is very stable and keeps guitars fiercely in tune, but has its quirks. One of them is with bending strings. An extreme bend will leave the whole guitar slightly out of pitch (flat) until you do a dive on the bar which will reset it (this actually explains the Slayer solo style a LOT!). Another quirk of the Kahler design is its tendency to break high E and B strings at the ball end. There are ways to prevent this that work well and can be googled. I would strongly recommend that any serious musician buying this guitar fork over the extra cash to get a real Kahler 2300. You'll be much happier. This score loses 2 points for the low quality bridge. It's truly the only sore part of this guitar. With the high quality of all the other materials, components and workmanship, to put this horrid bridge on the guitar is really giving the buyer a kick in the nuts. 1 point lost for the bridge itself, and 1 point lost because BC Rich consciously cheaped out here. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've had this guitar just under a year now. It hasn't been gigged or played outside of my home. But it's a solid, well-built instrument. I haven't had to repair or replace anything as of yet. Even the cheapo Kahler Hybrid is holding up fine, being no worse than the day I got the guitar. I have no doubt this thing could hold up to massive stage abuse every night and keep performing like it did out of the box. // 10

Overall Impression: As much of a Slayer fan as I am, I'm usually not a fan of "signature instruments". I don't usually buy them, especially when they have such "loud" (albeit cool) graphics. But in my search for an all-maple, neck through instrument loaded with a Kahler, this was the only game in town. The other high end BC Rich Vs all have mahogany bodies and Floyd Rose bridges. I already have many mahogany-bodied guitars and wanted this one specifically to give me a tonality I can't get with my existing instruments. In the end, I'm more than content with my purchase. This guitar is exactly as advertised. I would recommend it to anyone looking for the particular characteristics this guitar offers. You get a lot of bang for your buck. For a metal guitarist - particularly a Slayer fan - there's really no better guitar you can get than this to fill your need to make some evil sounds. // 9

KKV Kerry King Signature Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 29, 2012

Purchased from: Local retailer

Features: It was made in 2008, Korea... It has 24 XJ frets with all maple body and neck with nevk-thru and Kerry's own tribal graphic, black finish. The bridge is the kahler hybrid with the USA cam and chinese parts and the pickups are active EMG 81/85 with a PA2 boost preamp for additional gain and a 3way toggle switch, one volume and one tone knob. It also comes with the Grover Rotomatic tuners and a Floyd rose-style locking nut. // 9

Sound: It suits all music styles. I play mostly metal like Metallica, Pantera, Children Of Bodom and Ensiferum and does the job. It has great cleans, especially with the EMG 85. I'm using a Washburn wa15g practice amp (shitty) but it still sounds awesome, no effects just the amp distortion and the preamp gain. The EMG 81 are very bright and punchy, while the 85 is fat and thick sounding. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is very well built, no neck dives and well balanced for a V-style guitar. The best part about this guitar is flawless fretwork, do not buzz even on low action. The black finish and tribal graphics is what mostly drawn me towards it. But the finish sometimes gets easily chipped at the tips so the headstock has minimal scratches and the bottom tip of the V. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would definitely not need a backup as it can handle itself very well, and also the moment I put on the strap through the strap buttons it remained solid and felt like as if it wouldn't come off. Although I have never gigged with it, I feel like it could be the star of show if I did. It can handle all the abuse you throw at it, except for the finish. // 8

Overall Impression: Again, it suits my style of playing, especially slayer stuff and to me it's the most perfect guitar I have ever played on. I have been playing for 2 years and had this guitar for almost a year and tried to compare this with my Jackson King V and this seemed better by far. If it were lost or stolen, I would either buy another one or chase after the bastard who took it because I had great memories on this guitar. I love it because of it's finish and fretwork and variety of sounds. I hate it for neck-thru thing, as I'm mostly a bolt-on type of guy. I was stuck between choosing this and the Jackson Randy Rhoads with EMGs and the ESP LTD EX-360 also with EMGs, but I chose this because it's high end and more better, IMO. // 9

Comments