KKV Kerry King Signature Special review by B.C. Rich

• Reviewer's score: 6.6 Neat
B.C. Rich: KKV Kerry King Signature Special

Price paid: A$ 405

Purchased from: eBay

I play metal, obviously. When I got this guitar I was getting back into playing guitar after a long absence (about 15 years, I played guitar in primary school, and then lost interest). When I first got this guitar I knew very little about guitars and I thought this axe was pretty cool. And sounded very cool. Now though, compared to my other guitars the sound isn't really that good, the pick ups lack any definition (neck and Bridge pups sound basically the same) it just sounds rather tinny and lacks any balls. It's not bad, but at the end of the day, it is what it is.

I play metal, this guitar looks the part, but really it leaves a lot to be desired. This guitar would be cool to a "SSSLLLAAAYYYEEERRR!" obsessed teenager, but for anyone else, it's pretty average. Basically, it's a budget guitar with a nice paint job/printed graphic. Having owned this guitar for about 3 years now, I wish I had known a bit more about guitars before I bought this, but this guitar did help me to get to where I am now, so I guess it's not all that bad. If it was stolen, I would be angry, But I wouldn't go out and buy another one. All in all, as I've said a few times, it's a budget guitar, it is was it is, and yeah, it's cool for the kids, but not for anyone who is a serious guitarist

I think this guitar would be reliable, I've had no issues with it. But I would never gig with it because it's really not that level of a guitar. The finish seems ok but the widow head stock on mine is chipped and both of the V tips are a little chipped, it's not bad, I guess it's as good as you could hope for from a chinese sweat shop.

I bought this guitar second hand, and the previous owner had just had it freshly set-up. So I can't really say anything about how it came from the factory, but as I got it, it was quite good. Never mind this note, I have to type 66 more words or letters in this part for the site to publish my review. I can't be stuffed counting so I'm just going to type random rubbish in here until I reckon I've typed enough... Hmmm, this probably should be enough... But just to make sure, here's a little more.

Mine is a 2005ish model (I think) It is a very misleadingly named guitar, it is not the actual KKV Signature (with the EMG's and Kahler, etc.) but is called a KKV Signature Special, despite the fact that there really isn't anything special about it. I mean the features are: - Bolt on construction - Basswood body - Rosewood fret board, no inlays except KKV inlay at the 12th fret - 24 Jumbo frets - B.C. Rich B.D.S.M pick ups - 2 volumes, 1 tone and a 3 way toggle - Wrap around bridge - White on black Kerry King Gen 1 Tribal paint job I mean really it should be called a "KKV Signature Poser" or something similar. But hey, I guess it does come well equipped for a beginner, but for anyone else, this axe is kinda basic...

TomSB1768
    just got one and I luv it!!! good cruchie not over the top humbuckers, so i create my own sound. nothing wrong with that
    DaBone101
    I too have the KKW, and I see no prob. with it at all. I have played Les Pauls, Kramers, Jacksons, ect. I dont see the difference. I had to lower the strings on the KKW, but plays very well for me.
    TST2469
    ive got a different version of this guitar the paint job is different and the pick ups are too... but i actually like it. I wont say bad review because this is your opinion but i really like my KKV its got a very thrashy sound and is distictivly Slayer... That being said its not my favourite guitar out there are some others that i look at and just think I MUST HAVE YOU LoL
    NiallXoldham
    My brother bought this guitar a year ago. I won't say its the worst guitar in the world but its no where near a good guitar. Of course I was playing Ibanez and Jackson guitars at the time so I may be a little bias
    Woffelz
    SharkSandwich wrote: terrible review, needs more 10s. im surprised ug let this slide...ug, youre slipping
    :haha:
    Blargaha
    kirkshred wrote: It would be a very good guitar to upgrade with some emgs, better strings, and maybe put any other better part.
    It could be good, if you switch out the pickups, strings, body, neck, trem, and then get a good guitar
    kirkshred
    Jsteele1408
    Axemaster333 wrote: I dont think anybody that posted to this really knows jack about axes... The pickups offer A LOT more sustain that 90% of the pickups out there.
    Yeah, because everyone knows sustain comes from the pickup.
    Slaytan666
    This is what happens when you buy a guitar at Toys'R'us. I'd like to burn that guitar in by driveway while dancing around it screaming "Slayer!" and blasting Postmortem..
    barcode99
    decent guitar but not worth the $400 i see em sell for. i would say that if you adjust the action, get good strings and have a good amp it can sound good. an amp or effects pedal can make a good guitar sound like crap.
    hydewylde
    This guitar really does suck ass I used to have one of these. I mean yeah it sounds alright and it did stay in tune too it just played like shit lol. The lower model Jackson guitars are a lot better than the cheap ass B.C.Rich ones,but they make good guitars as well just not their low end line.
    synyster86
    Axemaster this guitar doesn't have a neck thru construction, it's a bolt on you genius. Maybe you should take a closer look at the guitar you supposedly own?
    Axemaster333
    I dont think anybody that posted to this really knows jack about axes. I own this guitar AND the KKW...both are the same yeah but are bad ass guitars. The pickups offer A LOT more sustain that 90% of the pickups out there...the Neck Thru construction adds to it as well...Go play your popular Les's and SG's...
    Good_Lord
    Reminds me of a guy in high school who was bragging about how badass his guitar was .... lol he was so wrong
    BlackDeath92
    Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Slayer fan, but I really hate Kerry King's BC Riches. They're just crappy guitars.
    Bxesparty
    any guitar related to slayer should have a kahler tremolo or a floyd rose equipped >
    K33nbl4d3
    Reminds me of how Epiphone called the cheapest versions of their two main guitars "Special II"...
    jr.v
    finnaly someone wrote a review of a beginner guitar without all 10s.
    Guitar_Slinger1
    I've got this guitar and I find it's a good playing instrument, a good set up seems to be the key. The sound was what I'd expect given the components. I wouldn't give it a 10 by any stretch but I'd do a solid 7.