Masterpiece Bich review by B.C. Rich

B.C. Rich: Masterpiece Bich

Purchased from: Dolphin Music

This guitar is very good for anything from rock to metal, and it does other styles, for example funk and blues quite nicely, the pickups sound crisp with quite a lot of top end, it all balances out nicely. I use this guitar purely through a Line 6 amp, no effects, and it works very well with the amp. The guitar doesn't make much noise, the pickups are very silent, although two things are a bit annoying with them, is that if you tap the pickup with your plectrum, it does make quite an annoying noise, and also when you use the selector switch, it makes quite a clunk, this doesn't particularly effect anything if your playing quite loud however.

This guitar is a solid guitar, suits the metal that I play, and can withstand whatever crazy tuning you throw at it (Obviously you need the right strings for the job though!). I've been playing for about 6 years now (4 if you count the years I was actually interested in playing) and I have a Washburn WI24 (I'd give it a 6/7 overall) and a small 10watt Marshall MG amp, my new setup surpasses this in many ways. Nothing I regret about this guitar, I got what I paid for, this is a very nice value guitar, I reckon you can do a lot worse with about 300, if I did lose this guitar, I'd try to get it back, or maybe get an Ibanez RG if I had enough money (more features). The things I love mainly about this guitar, is the fact it has a very good set of pickups, and the neck is beautiful to play. However I would maybe prefer it if it had some other features, such as a Floyd Rose trem, but that would obviously affect the price.

I've played a gig with this guitar, I bought a backup (My Washburn WI24) and I'm thankful to say I never actually used the backup, the guitar worked fine throughout. The hardware is very well made, as about the before-mentioned hole in the box, the guitar bridge also left a dent in the box (not a hole) and it is just fine. The tuning pegs are very good, and keep the guitar in tune very well. The strap buttons are good, and do a decent enough job of keeping the strap on, however they are placed in quite an awkward place, so you can't wrap your lead around the strap before plugging in (a must before a gig!). The finish on the guitar looks very nice, but is quite scratch prone, I recommended you don't wear a watch or anything else that might scratch the guitar on your strumming hand.

This guitar was set up very comfortably, only problem being a slight buzz at the 6th fret, which can get quite annoying when playing without the amp, but how much are you acctually going to be doing that? The string hight was set very well, it's very good to play, very easy, and the (A'ddrio) strings it came with were obviously new, and in good condition. The pickups were set at a decent hight, they have a good output, and don't choke the strings. There are some problems with the guitar. The original one they sent me had a chip on the bottom, guessing this either happened in the factory, or at the shop, because there is a hole in the box. The pickups were also microphonic even at a reasonably low volume. Everything else works fine though, no other problems.

This guitar has... Construction: bolt on Body wood: agathis Top style: deep arched Top wood: quilted AAA veneer Body binding: single ply white Headstock style: traditional 3 to a side Headstock color: matching veneer and color Headstock binding: single ply white Tuners: BC Rich die cast Neck wood: maple Back of neck: stained to match Neck binding: single ply white Neck profile: Standard BC Rich C Nut width: 43 mm Fretboard: rosewood Inlay: white pearloid block Frets: 24 jumbo 2.7mm Scale: 24 5/8 Bridge type: Tune O Matic String termination: string through Pickups: 2 B\.C\. Rich B.D.S.M. humbuckers Controls: two volumes, one tone and one 3 way toggle Hardware: chrome Finish: Transparent Colors: Sunfire or Dragon Blood Pretty Standard things, nothing particularly special, mostly BC Rich stock components, very nice looks (although it's mixed view, mine happens to be a more positive one). When it came, it had a jack lead and a Tool to adjust the truss-rod with, which included a manual on how to do this. The features on the guitar are good enough for anyone Who wants a basic guitar that works well.

PoloSG68
    Oh god my view of this guitar has dropped since I bought it. BC Rich build quality is crap.
    skybucket
    this is the only excellent BC rich ive ever played. everything about it is amazing and it has a fast neck. and indeed blue looks more appropriate and kickass than red.
    Old Man Arthur
    That cutaway was really Designed for the 'Octave' tuners on a Bich 10. I had a Classic Exotic Bich 10, and a NJ Bich with a Floyd. I sold them. But right now I just bought two Biches (yesterday, waiting for delivery). An Ugly Black Bich 10 Neck Thru, and a Dragon's Blood Masterpiece Bich. ($230 no case) My previous experience playing Biches caused me to by these. The body style is very comfortable, and the electronics on my other BC Rich's have always been nice. (I have also had an ASM and 2 Warlocks and I now have a Warbeast) I will post a full review of the Masterpiece once I get it.
    skybucket
    mr. awesome001 wrote: beautiful guitar but...BUT, the plug-in, jack whatever you want to call it is poorly done. it constantly became loose and now the wire snapped off inside. not a hard thing to fix, but it just shows how much effort they put into making it.
    Yea my ground wire broke and the jack comes loose all the time. Oh well.
    mr. awesome001
    mine broke as well...i almost smashed my guitar when it did. this guitar is beautiful, but poorly made. such a shame too. I recommend if the wire snaps again, saughter it back on and add a washer to the nut. mine has done very well after i did that. im still disappointed, but what do you expect...its a $400 guitar.
    shimmy00721
    hey, i've been playing for a while now, i need a professional quality guitar (eg, gigs and small venues) will this do the job?
    mr. awesome001
    looks wise it's professional, material quality not professional and it's playability is intermediate. for the price its not a bad deal, but not something you want to get if you're a professional. for gigs and small venues you could pull it off no problem, i do it all the time. I did have problems with wire connections on the interior of the guitar, easy fix if you know how to solder/sauter. If your on a budget then yea, this guitar is good for the price, but if you are interested, you could get a nice epiphone for about the same price. I own it so if you have any questions or i didn't answer what u wanted just send me a message.